WARNING about new site

Mel E

Be aware that, if you use 'Control Panel' in the box top right to alter your setting, then there are four 'tick boxes' at the bottom which you must actively tick to say you don't want circulars, info, etc sent to you. BE FURTHER AWARE that, every time you select 'Control Panel' these baxes automatically 'untick' themselves. So you may have just wanted to change your email address, or the forum sort order, but inattention may cause you to start receiving unwanted 'extras'. So be careful to re-tcik the boxes if you don't want to receive . . . .

Derek, You seem to be right - I can only say that when I went into contol panel to alter my site sort option, I found all the boxes had unticked themselves. Just did the same thing and found they hadn't. ?teething problems? And Norma is also right - if you don't want anything, tick the first 3 boxes and leave the last one blank!!!!!!!

"But you have to pay attention as some of the boxes go for 'do not want' and one goes for 'do want'!" Usually I give the benefit of the doubt and ascribe cock-up rather than conspiracy to such matters. But in this case, is there any motive on behalf of Warners other than to confuse, deceive and thereby get their junk mailing lists longer and more profitable? Dave

Mel E wrote; "And Norma is also right - if you don't want anything, tick the first 3 boxes and leave the last one blank!!!!!!!" Not quite correct, as I read it Mel - if you don't want anything then you need to tick the 1st & 3rd box only and leave the 2nd & 4th box unticked. I hope warners are not being sneaky and changing the want and don't wants around when you're not looking! pete.

I must say that - as positive as I am about MMM - I do always find this habit that some website designers have of offering you contradictory choices a real pain (and a bit of a cheek, actually!!). It is presumably trying to catch people out because some of us - and I used to include myself in this - will just tick all the boxes assuming the answer is the same. However, in this forum - and other sites - the first tick is 'NO' the second 'YES and so on. This means you could end up with all that information that you don't particularly want, by accident. I find that sharp practise and not the sort of thing I would expect from what is attempting to be - and succeeding in many other ways - a responsible website. Anyway, maybe Warner's web site designer will be told to fix this up? On the other hand I must compliment them on the new forum, not just for the speed with which it opens and navigates, but also the other bits and pieces that were missing on the simpler MMM one. I particularly like the Park Homes section as I might buy one sometime and it provides useful information.

peejay, I've just re-read the control panel boxes and am convinced that, if you don't want anything then you tick boxes 1 to 3 and leave 4 unticked. Why do you think differently? I may be wrong, but I've read them carefully. Is this a case of not seeing the typo in a phrase similar to this: 'I love the the green green grass of home.'? My eyes or your eyes?

To avoid opting for direct mail, e-mail or telephone contacts, you need to tick the "do not want" boxes 1 & 3 and leave blank the "do want" boxes 2 & 4. Strangely, the opt-in/opt-out section on the Control Panel mirrors that of the read-under-a-microscope sized equivalent on the last MMM Renewal Reminder form I received, except that the sentences on the Renewal Reminder are ordered differently and you have to tick boxes 1 & 4 and leave 2 & 3 blank to avoid contacts. I agree that, if there MUST be this sort of approach on a website, it should be phrased so that people must positively opt IN if they want to be contacted by mail or phone and there should be no default "You get it unless you say you don't want it."

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-04-05 7:42 PM peejay, I've just re-read the control panel boxes and am convinced that, if you don't want anything then you tick boxes 1 to 3 and leave 4 unticked. Why do you think differently? I may be wrong, but I've read them carefully. Is this a case of not seeing the typo in a phrase similar to this: 'I love the the green green grass of home.'? My eyes or your eyes?[/QUOTE] If you do not want anything (on the Control panel that appars on my computer any way) It is:- Tick Blank Tick Blank Read the words VERY carefully (with your thinking head on)

Archived