Width restrictions on rural lanes

Agent Fruit

Guest 1footinthegrave

Someone asked why I find my PVC less stressful to drive, what can I say other than with my previous McLoius, and my previous Elnagh Marlin I did find the slight extra width, and ridiculous rear overhang on the last one a bit of a pain.

I like to seek out the less accessible places and a PVC suits that purpose for me a little better.The straw that broke the Camels back was a very costly exercise when I managed to rip the all in one Aluminium extrusion from the rear of the vehicle that went from the bottom corner to the front roofline coming out of a tight gated entrance. Don't get me wrong I loved the spaciousness of both, but on balance finding that my shoulders were always up in the air with tension was not a place I wanted to be. Or perhaps I'm a crap driver ( I'll say it before anyone else does) *-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2011-07-14 5:59 PM

My sense is that this is really about the heart and the head. The heart says Burstner, the head says PVC.

You're kinda right and kinda wrong.....the heart says PVC (I can just hear the A Team music ringing in my ears every time I see one), the head and the small part of me that's struggling to grow up says Burstner (detached house in the country), and the other head says PVC again when it thinks about actually driving it down narrow lanes. Your in depth description of the construction of the sides is helpful - I'm used to hammering down lanes in my Subaru, liberally scratching it with brambles and worse. I'd assumed that a coachbuilt would be less harmed by brambles and twigs as it doesn't have paintwork to scratch as such, but as you say, all it takes is a buried branch to rip a hole. I'm not sure though that the fix for a PVC would be much fun either as paint-jobs aren't cheap. The sides of my car look like they've been in Afghanistan.

At the end of the day, on this occasion my decision will be based on practicality rather than sentiment as I don't want to get to the Outer Hebrides and find that I'm missing out on the more remote spots by 30cm. That would be galling.

AF

I can assure you, from experience, that trees will not bother any legal width of van on Harris/Lewis!

Have driven almost every road there - did not see one width restriction sign and not many trees.

Passing other vehicles does not even come into it - the road is either wide enough for 2 or single track where you must use the passing places

Agent Fruit - 2011-07-14 10:21 PM

At the end of the day, on this occasion my decision will be based on practicality rather than sentiment as I don't want to get to the Outer Hebrides and find that I'm missing out on the more remote spots by 30cm. That would be galling.

AF

I realise that was proboly an off the cuff remark, but funny enough I've 'done' a lot of Scottish islands, I don't ever recall any road that a coachbuilt can't get down, the only width resistrictions I can recall coming across have been in England, there are two roads which I'm in the area a few times of year that it would make no differance if you was in coachbuilt or x250 PVC they are no goes, one is near St Agnes, other is out of Church Stretton over The Long Mynd, I've sneaked throu both in a T25 (bit naughty over long mynd).

Hi,

I met a 6ft 6in restriction in middle of Upton-upon-Severn. I don't know if it was permanent.

I understand the offence is "Failing to comply with a traffic sign", and is endorsable.

602 ... Who took his 16ft long 4x4 gas-guzzling SUV into St Ives .... and met a camper van driving in as he was driving out. 8-)

Hi Agent Fruit and welcome.

We drove the A149 coast road from Cromer to Hunstanton a few years ago in our 7' 7" wide Chausson coachbuilt. The road wasn't exactly single track but it was a very long and tedious drive. :'(

About 3/4 of the way round we saw signs for a 6' 6" width restriction ahead. I was not relishing the idea of turning round and repeating the long and tedious bit back to Cromer! Fortunately a large dray lorry was coming towards us, and while we were creeping past with mirrors at half mast (as you do), I asked the driver about the width restriction. He told me he had driven through it a few minutes previously, and if he could get through, then so could I. :-) We sailed through without a care, with our V's up to any plod who might have been watching (there were none).

So there WAS a width restriction, but navigable with a great big lorry, so I'm not really sure what that was about. I'm sure there must be a lot more like that, although here in Zummerzet, and Devon, and Cornwall, if it says 6' 6", it means 6' 6" 8-)

I drove our coachbuilt for 20,000 miles over 5 years without incident, but am now VERY happy to be driving a PVC with glass windows - make of that what you will...

I am beginning to think it is maybe us older ones, whose eyesight is not so sharp as it once was, who are most in favour of narrower vans, as they are definitely easier to drive and not so demanding of peripheral vision as something where you need to be conscious of things which may threaten the top of your roof.

Having said that my worst experience was driving a LHD Hymer 534 down the western side of lake Como 25 years ago, with a rockface to the right and a stream of logging trucks coming fast the other way.

colin - 2011-07-15 12:24 AM

Agent Fruit - 2011-07-14 10:21 PM

AF

I realise that was proboly an off the cuff remark, but funny enough I've 'done' a lot of Scottish islands, I don't ever recall any road that a coachbuilt can't get down, the only width resistrictions I can recall coming across have been in England, there are two roads which I'm in the area a few times of year that it would make no differance if you was in coachbuilt or x250 PVC they are no goes, one is near St Agnes, other is out of Church Stretton over The Long Mynd, I've sneaked throu both in a T25 (bit naughty over long mynd).

The difference on the single track roads around Scotland and the islands is that they set up passing places every couple of hundred yards or so, and you can normally see well ahead to see what is coming. I've not come across any roads up there with a width restriction.

I've seen plenty of large motorhomes up there.

Having said that, if you are ever on Mull I would give the road from Tobermory around the 'top' of the island past Calgary Bay ( B8073) a miss.

Guest 1footinthegrave
You may be right, but the fact remains the wider the vehicle and the narrower the road the less margin for error there is, that in itself is stressful. Speaking to a guy towing a Smart car behind his outfit said that was his solution, get to site, park up, go off in his Smart, he was not best pleased when I inquired why did he not get a caravan instead , but perhaps he just enjoyed driving his big rig on the big open roads and motorways !

All of which just rotates back to the central issue. Whether width restrictions, or unrestricted narrow roads for that matter, cause you problems, depends in the first instance on the width of your vehicle, and in the second, on where you try to take it.

The point about the Hebrides is a good example. No trees to speak of - wind-blasted out of existence! So too the point about Cornish roads: narrow, and lined with high banks and walls. What about the B6270 through Reeth to Kirkby Stephen? Take Google Earth to N54.374974 W-2.093188, and then switch to street view for a chuckle. Was that one of you? :-D Only a case of "breathe in"! Narrow, with walls and ditches here and there - and added interest when you meet cars driven by people with no facility for reversing whatsoever.

Ultimately, if you want to go where you know the going gets narrow, or if you don't know, and you want the least practical problems, go for the narrowest van you can find, and live with its disadvantages in other respects.

If you are sure you won't stray down narrow, or restricted, roads, or you are prepared to live with the odd pickle you get into if you do, just go with the van that offers the best accommodation for your needs, and live with the problems its width may cause from time to time.

There is no magic solution. However, do remember that over time, and with familiarity and growing confidence, motorhoming engenders an almost irresistible temptation to spread one's wings further and try different locations. Some future, as yet unenvisaged trip, may find one far off the beaten track in road conditions far, far, removed from the treeless Hebrides. You never know! My sense is that the PVC is what you really need, whatever you may feel you want! :-) Decisions, decisions, innit? :D

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-15 12:57 PM...Ultimately, if you want to go where you know the going gets narrow, or if you don't know, and you want the least practical problems, go for the narrowest van you can find, and live with its disadvantages in other respects.If you are sure you won't stray down narrow, or restricted, roads, or you are prepared to live with the odd pickle you get into if you do, just go with the van that offers the best accommodation for your needs, and live with the problems its width may cause from time to time.There is no magic solution...:D

Not magic, but there is another choice, if not exactly mainstream: big and tough. It's the way I've gone and though I have another 9-12 months of head-scratching and graft to go, big and tough can be bought off the shelf, at a price!

Guest 1footinthegrave

WOW, and there's me sitting a home bored stiff in between trips out in our PVC, GOOD ON YER mate, we wish you every success in your venture, envious, you bet I am ! !

P.S a very interesting and inspiring website too, highly recommended reading to all

It is important to also consider weight restrictions.

We are usually off the beaten track with the Hymer Exsis - being relatively narrow it has the advantages of the PVC, but loads more usable space. The problem is the hieght factor and the straight sides whereas PVC's taper in, so we regularly pick up minor scratches from overhanging branches - trouble is that on narrow lanes they are not frequently used by high sided vehicles, only the infrequent farm trailer at harvest time.

We knew this when we bought it and took the view that it was for using and not looking at

Regards,

Fred

We are usually off the beaten track with the Hymer Exsis - being relatively narrow it has the advantages of the PVC, but loads more usable space. The problem is the hieght factor and the straight sides whereas PVC's taper in, so we regularly pick up minor scratches from overhanging branches - trouble is that on narrow lanes they are not frequently used by high sided vehicles, only the infrequent farm trailer at harvest time.

We knew this when we bought it and took the view that it was for using and not looking at

Regards,

Fred

Regards,

Fred

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'll bet the guy with ex NATO 4 x 4 truck above will be not too fussed about the odd few scratches either ???

Guest 1footinthegrave
francisgraham - 2011-07-15 6:11 PM
crinklystarfish - 2011-07-15 4:50 PMClose in both cases! Have a quick skeg at my www.

Am I missing something here? There's no website address shows for me.
Left mouse click on the guys www to the left below the user name

Guest pelmetman
Crinkly, your camper project is a lovely shade of green8-).................a bit like me........I guess you are fulltiming to get to all the places you have been:D...........And how did you come up with the name Crinklystarfish?

Archived