Tow Bar Cycle Carriers

penny

Does anyone have any experience of using 'hang on' tow bar cycle carriers on a motor home? Thule 970 pro or Paddy Hopkirk Quick Ball type.

If so how easy to 'strap on' a lighting board - seem to remember it was bit of a faff in caravaning days.

Any help much appreciated.

We have used a Pendle Bike rack for many years, Does what it said on the box.

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/Wheel-Support-Behind-the-Tow-Ball-Mounting-Rack.php

Rgds

Edited to say that we use the 4X4 rack, from which the bikes hang. A lot cheaper than the link above,

Scroll down the side to 4X4. An advantage of the offset for the spare whele on the 4X4 is that on the motorhome, it allows the bikes to be carried without having to undo an twist the handle bars.

I got very confused when looking at these, I found the weight of bike they could carry restrictive to light weight, and our electric bikes (with the battery removed) were above the weight limit.

Did I not do enough research?

Would like to get one to replace, the very high bike rack on the back of the van.

:-D

We have just bought the Mont Blanc tow bar cycle rack. The weight is higher than the Thule.

It says max 56kgs but 20kgs per cycle. Our electric bikes weigh 20kgs with batteries on.

Easy to put on and easy to put the bikes on so much easier than lifting them onto a high cycle rack.

We bought ours off ebay next day delivery!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide on!!

Hi, we use a thule euro 916model tow ball mounted bike carrier and find it absolutely great. The euro model is rated to carry 60kg which is to accomodate the extra weight of electric bikes and also gives a slightly wider space between the bikes. Also available is an optional loading ramp that stores on the carrier and makes it much easier to load the bikes.

The carrier itself is simple to attach and fully lockable.

Again,comes with lights and number plate holder.

I would have no hesitation in strongly recommending this model.

It may be an idea to view this model and demo on you tube

good luck

derek

Hello Penny,

We use an Atera Strada tow bar bike rack on both our van and car. It is a superbly designed peice of kit. It takes two bikes but can be extended. This is the "Rolls Royce" of bike racks. We bought ours from The Roofbox Company on www.roofbox.co.uk but others do sell it. The link is below but it may be easier to go to their website and search for the Atera Strada to see the many photos.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/atera_strada_dl_2_to_3_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2602/njNA_v1HqTo7S%60%60GV@75ktZPNQj_5Ogf_HILPIV8a

I have no connection with either the manufacturer or seller but would not hesitate to recommend it to others. I have used it on the car again today and was asked by other cyclists in the carpark for details.

A design classic.

Regards,

Carl

Regards,

Carl

Archived