X250 - fitting a lighting board to 2010 Boxer

arthur49

Our rear mounted cycle carrier means lifting our bikes to head height and as we get older this is becoming a challenge. Cycle carrier has a lower mounting point which reduces the lift considerably but means we partially obstruct rear lights so I need a lighting board.

Question - I cannot see readily available electrics so that I can fit a socket to accept the lighting board plug. Can anyone let me know their experience? Is there a simple way to fit a socket?

Arthur (?)

Guest JudgeMental
Yes...find a local auto electrican as we did and he will fit you a socket on back bumper? They wire it into lights on both sides via a relay so that it works with Fiat can bus system.....we got a lighting board from Halfords for approx £30

Guest JudgeMental
Keithl - 2011-07-15 1:34 PM

But make sure your lighting board does not have triangular reflectors as these are only allowed on trailers.

You need either square or round reflectors to signify a vehicle.

Keith.

wish this had come up last week as mine has triangle reflectors...... :-S

Wouldn't worry Eddie. Not strictly legal, but kind of 90% correct. :-) You could change the reflectors for round ones some time, but the main point is the number plate is now where it can be seen, there are lights on the overhang, and there are reflectors. You might have it pointed out to you, but I'd be very surprised if any PC from any country would try to fine, or summons, over it. It is a very minor, rather technical, infringement.

I thought you'd gone?

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2011-07-15 3:27 PM

Wouldn't worry Eddie. Not strictly legal, but kind of 90% correct. :-) You could change the reflectors for round ones some time, but the main point is the number plate is now where it can be seen, there are lights on the overhang, and there are reflectors. You might have it pointed out to you, but I'd be very surprised if any PC from any country would try to fine, or summons, over it. It is a very minor, rather technical, infringement.

I thought you'd gone?

The Fiamma large square above has the red circle in each corner.... :-S

10 minutes to go.... and we are oft to Croatia! Adiós Amigos! :D

[i thought you'd gone?

The Fiamma large square above has the red circle in each corner.... :-S

If it is the aluminium one it is also technically illegal as the white strips as well as the red stripes are reflective and it is technically illegal to show a white light at the rear of the vehicle. (The white reflective material appears as a white light when illuminated in the dark).

JudgeMental - 2011-07-15 3:03 PM

Keithl - 2011-07-15 1:34 PM

But make sure your lighting board does not have triangular reflectors as these are only allowed on trailers.

You need either square or round reflectors to signify a vehicle.

Keith.

wish this had come up last week as mine has triangle reflectors...... :-S

Judge,

A quick way out of this would be to tape off the corners to show any shape other than a triangle, Simples :D

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
Aruthur, this has been playing on my mind...(we are at lake Bled with a dodgy wifi connection) with my rack you still have to lift bikes to almost waist height? well I guess groin height...i think as this is the reasoning behind you changing in the first place, you should consider a tow bar mounted rack.back to my holiday now!

Thanks Eddie.- groin height lift not a problem but lifting to head height any more is likely to strangle a b****** ......!

We are getting local auto electrician to fit lighting socket ........ and I've noted issue re reflector shape.

Enjoy your hols. We're heading to Croatia in late August. We will include Autocamp Slapic near Karlovac - lovely family. Beautiful setting. If you decide to spend a night or two there, tell Ivan, Anna, Mimi and 'Henry' that Arthur and Liz send their best wishes and we'll see them in a few weeks. Apologies for hijacking my own thread............

Arthur :$

Archived