Asking for trouble or what!

terryW

Sat on the Aire at Calais we noticed a couple of scruffs going round the vans asking for money, needless to say we did not oblige them. Shortly after that another English couple returned to the van next to us and took their chairs round the front to sit in the sun leaving the van door wide open. I decided to tell them about the earlier begging visit and suggested it may be wise to secure their van door.

In conversation we then discovered they had been robbed in the past and had installed all manner of security devices but despite that experience an hour later they were 50 meters down the front watching some entertainment with the door wide open again.

I do hope they get home safely.

Should we be gratefull for couples like that ??? If they are willing to donate to such a charitable cause by leaving the door open, then maybee the scruffs, having picked up their goodies, will leave us alone.

In all seriousness well done for trying to help, it is just that some will not listen. "Leading a horse to water" springs to mind.

bertieburstner - 2011-07-15 9:24 PMcampsites are available for about 15 euros or less....................................

If you are trying to say that campsites are safer I would disagree on the same trip 11 motorhomes/caravans were broken into during one night while the occupants slept, this was on a well fenced site in Amboise France last May.

A variety of methods were used from the screwdriver in the lock of a campervan while the occupants slept in the awning to slashing fly screens on open windows and reaching in. No matter where you are, common sense applies, make it the other person that gets done not you!

we where Chartres 4 weeks ago and there were printed notices up warn of thefts on site. the gates onto the river footpath were locked and the only way in and out was via the main gate. I got seaking to a South African who was staying on the site and the day before had 2K of camera kit stolen whilst on the site and he was only staying as he was awaiting the police.I had my truma gas vent cover taken whilst on site at Limoges it was there when i connected the hook up went for a walk around the local park and on returning noticed it had gone and the only vans on site where French. so it can happen any where when your van is left unattended

Archived