Over 70 year olds - motorhome weight restrictions

Mel B

Currently sat on a soggy field at the Northern (yeah, right) Show having a look at the forum for the first time in a week (how's that for self-control! :D ).

Our 'neighbour' has a Burstner motorhome at 3500kg but he says that although the 70s age restriction kicks in at 3500kg (unless you take the medical etc), he's okay to drive one up to 4000kg on his normal licence ... is it me, or does this sound wrong to you lot too? 8-)

At 70 those with C1/C1+E entitlement on their Licence, have to apply to retain that right & it requires a Medical

C1/C1+E allows upto 7500kg MAM.

If not applied for you lose the C1/C1E entitlement & then restricted to 3500kg MAM (B/B+E entitelemnt)

+ trailer upto 750kg

See

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Whats the C1+E Flicka? my licence shows C1 and C1E not sure if that will be changed once Im 70 but I need to renew my licence in Oct as I had to change it 10 years ago when we changed address and Im a few years off 70 yet !! it will be interesting to see how long before I need to send it back as in 10 years I will be a few years over. (lol) Im not telling. ;-)

Hi Mel,

As previously pointed out you have conflicting statements in your OP, so in a nutshell the answer is:-

To drive ANY vehicle over 3,500 kg you MUST HAVE class C1 on your licence.

To retain C1 after the age of 70 you have to undergo a medical and apply to DVLA to retain it.

Also there is no licence or age break at 4,000 kg so this a total red herring.

For more info see the DVLA link previously posted.

Keith.

Maggy, C1+E and C1E are one and the same, a vehicle over 3,500 kg towing a trailer.

And don't worry, the DVLA will be in touch with you before you're 70th birthday, there's no risk of them forgetting for a few years until your licence needs renewing :-(

Maggi,

3 months before your 70th birthday the DVLA will send a reminder that your licence expires. It can be renewed easily if you do not require C1, ie driving vehicles over 3500 kgs. If you do, then do not delay once you get the reminder, you will need extra forms, downloadable (mine were lost by the surgery and I kicked up a stink not having been to the doctors for 25 years), a medical by a doctor, mine cost £90 and if there are any complications the DVLA will check thoughly before issuing a new licence for 3 years and then you start all the process again but at least then you will know what to do.

3 months may seem a long time but it quickly goes.

Good Luck

RIS

Ris - 2011-07-16 8:56 AM

Maggi,

3 months before your 70th birthday the DVLA will send a reminder that your licence expires. It can be renewed easily if you do not require C1, ie driving vehicles over 3500 kgs. If you do, then do not delay once you get the reminder, you will need extra forms, downloadable (mine were lost by the surgery and I kicked up a stink not having been to the doctors for 25 years), a medical by a doctor, mine cost £90 and if there are any complications the DVLA will check throughly before issuing a new licence for 3 years and then you start all the process again but at least then you will know what to do.

3 months may seem a long time but it quickly goes.

Good Luck

RIS

To which I would add, based on other's posts, that you should check carefully that any renewal before you hit 70 will retain category C1 and C1E. If you don't want it, it doesn't matter, but more than one person has reported renewing their licence, and then finding the C1 and C1+E entitlements have mysteriously gone AWOL on the new licence.

C1 covers vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, including towing a trailer up to 750kg (which can therefore be unbraked).

C1+E (C1E on the licence) covers vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, including towing a trailer over 750kg (which must therefore be braked), providing:

a) the combined MAMs of the two vehicles does not exceed 12,000kg, and

b) that MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight (mass) of the towing vehicle (N. B. - unladen weight is a lower figure than Mass in Running Order, as it excludes the weight of driver, tools, gas cylinders, water, waste, and fuel).

Just to confirm everything Brian said esp: apply for your renewal as early as poss it can take an age to process - mine did - I was older and wiser the second time around!! Dependent on your medical history you may be asked to undergo a exercise ECG, again I was on both occasions and this adds even more time to the process. Medical costs seem to be a BIG variable, mine cost £40, have heard as much as £100, hope my GP doesn't read this!! (If the DVLA ask for an ECG, it will be via a private consultant at DVAL's cost.)

SO over 70, over 3500Kg you need a medical. "But it's worth it"

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-16 1:00 PM

To which I would add, based on other's posts, that you should check carefully that any renewal before you hit 70 will retain category C1 and C1E. If you don't want it, it doesn't matter, but more than one person has reported renewing their licence, and then finding the C1 and C1+E entitlements have mysteriously gone AWOL on the new licence.

C1 covers vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, including towing a trailer up to 750kg (which can therefore be unbraked).

C1+E (C1E on the licence) covers vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, including towing a trailer over 750kg (which must therefore be braked), providing:

a) the combined MAMs of the two vehicles does not exceed 12,000kg, and

b) that MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight (mass) of the towing vehicle (N. B. - unladen weight is a lower figure than Mass in Running Order, as it excludes the weight of driver, tools, gas cylinders, water, waste, and fuel).

Test passed in 1972, issued with (I think) a red credit card sized license. This changed to the folding green one and issued to me in 1978 (coincidently on my 25th birthday.....).

The groups listed are A,E******

Are these groups 'new' names for the ones referred to above?

On my license, C1 doesn't exist per se but C says 'any motor tricycle........' and E is moped.

Bit confused and disappionted if I've lost the appropriate 3,500kg to 7,500kg group during the issue of my green license in 1978.

bolero boy - 2011-07-17 10:11 AM

Test passed in 1972, issued with (I think) a red credit card sized license. This changed to the folding green one and issued to me in 1978 (coincidently on my 25th birthday.....).

On my license, C1 doesn't exist per se but C says 'any motor tricycle........' and E is moped.

Bit confused and disappionted if I've lost the appropriate 3,500kg to 7,500kg group during the issue of my green license in 1978.

The green license states that at 18 years old you may drive a goods vehicle of up to 7.5 tonnes.

So you are covered.

The groups on old red licence I'm sure where different, I was looking at mine last week. I'm not sure but I thought the original green licence changed in the 80's at least once, I had a 'new' one at least once due to house moves.

Dave G - 2011-07-17 10:29 AM

bolero boy - 2011-07-17 10:11 AM

The green license states that at 18 years old you may drive a goods vehicle of up to 7.5 tonnes.

So you are covered.

Dave, thanks for that. Yes, I can see that down on the left hand side - seems like I am covered on a raft of stuff which was at that time only covered by age (except for HGV/PSV stuff) under the blanket group A.

No doubt, this large group of items has now been split into much smaller groups each requiring its own authorisation.

Here's my recollection of green licences, Green then Green/Yellow, then Green/Red.

IIRC the original Green licence is not EU compliant, at the time to drive in such countries as Italy you would require a Italian translation or international licence, have no idea of the present situation, but I guess there's plenty of info on the net?

Dave, thanks for that. Yes, I can see that down on the left hand side - seems like I am covered on a raft of stuff which was at that time only covered by age (except for HGV/PSV stuff) under the blanket group A.

No doubt, this large group of items has now been split into much smaller groups each requiring its own authorisation.

It seems that when some people decided to apply for the photo license a lot of them lost the right to drive some vehicles and because at the time the DVLA were "never wrong" they didn't get the right to drive back unless they took a test for the particular group. Being somewhat thrifty and wary of new fangled ideas I for one never bothered with the photo license which has proved to be of some saving as the green license doesn't have to be renewed until I'm 70 as opposed to every 10 years or so. :-D

bolero boy - 2011-07-17 12:08 PM

ps How do you underline, change font or make bold?

Perhaps the simplest way is to go into the forum Control Panel (top right of page), and tick the

"Use rich edit box when composing messages?"

box.

Alternatively, for simple underline/bold/italic, etc. you can simply remember some basic "markup", and use that.

e.g. If you hit "QUOTE" under this post, you will see how I've done

underline

bold

and

italic

Robinhood - 2011-07-17 12:42 PM

bolero boy - 2011-07-17 12:08 PM

ps How do you underline, change font or make bold?

Perhaps the simplest way is to go into the forum Control Panel (top right of page), and tick the

"Use rich edit box when composing messages?"

box.

Alternatively, for simple underline/bold/italic, etc. you can simply remember some basic "markup", and use that.

e.g. If you hit "QUOTE" under this post, you will see how I've done

underline

bold

and

italic

Ah yes, I see - thanks for that.

Rgds,

Archived