Insurance for Motorhome trailer towing car

homerlindsay

I have a Burstner motorhome and will soon take delivery of a trailer for my car - a Toyota IQ3. When speaking to motorhome insurer - Camping & Caravan Club insurance, I am covered for the trailer (3rd party) but NOT the car. My car insurer - Toyota Motor Insurance - cannot cover the car while on the trailer!

I am sure that all you thousands of seasoned motorhomers with trailers have insurance end to end; please can you give advice on how you insured the full combo.

Thanks for all input.

Try Comfort Insurance for both. They will at least understand the requirement. Phone, don't go for on-line quotes, as the requirement is too unusual. I would suggest that wherever you insure, placing car, trailer, and motorhome with the same firm would be advantageous, should a claim arise.

BTW, you do appear to have omitted, so far, insurance for the trailer itself. IMO, it would be wise to place this in the same package.

I would concur with Brian. I had the same problem towing my scooter behind the MH. No joy from anyone, C&CC and CC useless. Comfort understood problem and arranged cover, though I had to cover both MH and scooter with Aviva. Expensive but good cover and fully comp for scooter on and off the trailer.

The shortcut to my thread is

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18986&posts=2

Regards

Carl

My experience is that (bizarrely) it's more difficult to get fully comp cover for when a car is on a trailer than it is when being pulled on an a-frame.

As others have said, Comfort can do the job. Worth also trying Peart as a comparative quote.

We have a Rapido and going to trail an IQ3. Not isured through Toyota, just TOO expensive (especialy as the underwriters offered a better deal through another company) and looking to re insure next month.

Going down the same route and wondered if you had any luck with insurance ?

Which brand of trailer did you settle on ? (Advice on why would be useful as well ;-) )

Rgds

Only fo motorhome admittedly, but with Aviva - we just got (yesterday) an exceedingly good quotation from Frank Pickles - don't try and do it online though as can only do up to £25k with that partic insurer they use.

Ring em - 01943 850999, chap called Steve did ours - knows exactly what he's talking about and believe me after 40 years in the insurance industry, I am a good judge of when they do know what they are on about.and when they don't !

Actually they have had a lot of recommendations from folks on Motorhome Fun in the last 12 months - which is why we tried em!

Thank you to everyone who responded and offered advice. It has been very helpful.

I found that Comfort Insurance, recommended by a few of you, can provide a complete end to end insurance solution. The insurance comes from Aviva.

Comfort were very helpful, answering my many questions with great patience and I have insured with them.

Cover comes in two policies but together they insure the car fully comprehensively, whether car is on the road or on the trailer. The motorhome policy covers not just the trailer being towed but the value of the trailer itself, up to a maximum of £3000. Cost is marginally higher than my two previous policies but they do cover for breakdown for both vehicles in UK and Europe - but then I have trailer cover too. All in all, I think value for money.

After all I have found out in this exercise, I am left wondering how many people there are out there who think their cars are insured while being towed. :-S

Thanks again, everyone.

As you'll see from my general post I was able to fully insure Motorhome, Car (on and off the trailer), and trailer with Comfort Insurance - underwritten by Aviva.

We have not yet received our trailer, expected within the next two weeks. We ordered a Brian James Micro-Max trailer - a model designed for the IQ==>

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2011_2AMAX_web_1.pdf.

Trailers are more expensive than A-Frames but I found more than enough suggestions of legal issues with the A-Frame in Europe to make me reject them as a solution.

Choice of Brian James Trailers was more to do with internet positive feedback backed up by an almost local dealer near Glasgow.

Once I get the trailer and learn how to drive the car on to it and drive while towing, I'll try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the link (Comes up with not found, but if you remove the "." at the end of the line it will work)

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2011_2AMAX_web_1.pdf

Which model did you end up with ?

The 150-1000 or 150-110 ?

Both seem to fit the width of the IQ (1680mm ) but there seems a little tight on the 150-1000.

Rgds

PS If you have not found it already the link to the IQ Forum does turn up some occasional nuggets of information ;-)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=128

Rgds (again)

Archived