wing mirrors

nasher

Hope someone on the forum can help. Going down the narrow rocky roads into Harleck in Wales, i caught the passenger side wing mirror on a jutting out rock, this smashed the glass in the mirror, although luckily the outer casing is ok and the electric part still works. My question is how do i replace the mirror or do you have to buy the complete assembly? The van is a Burstner 2006 on the renault master chassis.

nasher - 2011-07-17 3:32 PM

Hope someone on the forum can help. Going down the narrow rocky roads into Harleck in Wales, i caught the passenger side wing mirror on a jutting out rock, this smashed the glass in the mirror, although luckily the outer casing is ok and the electric part still works. My question is how do i replace the mirror or do you have to buy the complete assembly? The van is a Burstner 2006 on the renault master chassis.

I had to replace the passenger door mirror glass in 2008. I have the 2007 Renault Master base with swing out arms and heated glass. I got the glass insert part from my local Renault dealer at a cost of £38.46 on 31 March 2008 it was part no. 7701063509 and they quickly identified the correct part from the vehicle's VIN and registration numbers. The box contained adequate instructions in French with rudimentary diagrams. The job needed just a few basic tools and took me, if I remember correctly, about one and a half hours, but I was being especially careful as of course, it's glass. NB Eye and hand protection is essential as the original glass has to be gently and carefully broken in order to remove it and nastly little splinters fly off during the process.

Bob

Hi Derek (Hope you don't mind me jumping in?)

We stayed at Min y Don earlier in the season and to be honest the roads can be pretty "snug" in places,which ever way you approach..

We went in from the Dolgellau direction via Barmouth..(.."..b*gger that!.I'm going home a different way.." I thought! :-S )

..only to find my home route(..north up the "coast road" and looping back,was just as narrow in places 8-) )..

It's too that bad and it's a lovely route but for what can be a pretty busy stretch of road,what with all the MHs/Caravans etc,there are some quite a few "tight spots".. ;-)

Edit: Sorry for the "Off Topic" post.. :$

Hi Derek, We started off in aberdaron then moved to crickieth then portmadog, there is a toll road from portmadog to harlech, but i thought this would be worse than sticking to the main road. i was concentrating on the oncoming traffic rather than watching the wall, ( you cant watch both at once) then there was an allmighty bang and the impact sent the mirror into the side window.

The trouble is most car drivers have never driven a motorhome and will not slow down or move over a bit.I would use the same road again but next time would fold in the nearside wing mirror until i got onto wider roads!!!

Hello Nasher,

I know this is going to controversial but I think it needs to be said anyway;

It is you that is in control of the inappropriately sized vehicle and you don't really have any right to expect drivers of smaller vehicles to give any special dispensation to your predicament. You and other poster's have correctly identified these roads as unsuitable and I don't have much to add to that. Common sense should prevail. I hope.

If however, you seem to be heading for disaster, the correct procedure is not 'jousting' with your mirrors but to actually come to a complete stop. On your side of the road, as close to the nearside as possible without causing damage to your vehicle. Allow the oncoming vehicle the opportunity to do likewise but at least if you are stationery and your vehicle is struck and damaged by the other (moving) vehicle you can make a note of their registration number and inform your insurer should they not stop. In most cases all you will get from slowly moving vehicle impacts is a little rubbing or pushing of the mirrors but not broken lenses.

I will never understand the mentality of drivers of huge campers that just expect to be able to explore every byway as if those quaint little roads were designed for such traffic! They can barely cope with cars! If the road is described as 'single track with passing places' I would suggest it's not for you!

Nick

euroserv - 2011-07-18 12:08 PM

Hello Nasher,

I know this is going to controversial but I think it needs to be said anyway;

As no-one else has yet responded, I'll bite; here goes...

....we're used to the usual well thought out and balanced comment from you Nick,

............so why not this time? ;-)

There are rather too many sweeping and incorrect statements for me to swallow.

It is you that is in control of the inappropriately sized vehicle and you don't really have any right to expect drivers of smaller vehicles to give any special dispensation to your predicament. You and other poster's have correctly identified these roads as unsuitable and I don't have much to add to that. Common sense should prevail. I hope.

Whilst there are certainly some roads that are inappropriate for the average motorcaravan (I can name some that are nearly inappropariate for a car!), I can't agree with any of the sentiment here.

The particular roads specificaly identified are A roads, I know them reasonably well, and they are used by all the traffic you would expect (buses, coaches, HGVs, etc.). As mentioned, they are a bit "tight" in places, but perfectly reasonable to use, as long as everyone else is careful their turn.

That's where the right to expect reasonable and careful treatment by other drivers (as encapsulated in the Highway Code) comes in - (and yes, this does cover being "courteous" to large vehicles).

I slow down for horses (a totally inappropriate vehicle for modern roads B-) ) , and I wait, for example, to let HGVs coming the other way under the centre of a low bridge on a main route near me.

Whilst the HC encapsulates such courtesy, and I try to embrace it myself, I must admit, I increasingly fail to encounter it from others (even in the car). This seems to be one of the themes in the thread, and I can't accept this is the fault of the motorcaravan driver.

Too many people have a bit of "white van man" in their soul :D

I will never understand the mentality of drivers of huge campers that just expect to be able to explore every byway as if those quaint little roads were designed for such traffic! They can barely cope with cars! If the road is described as 'single track with passing places' I would suggest it's not for you!

From many years of experience of both motorcaravanning and single track roads with passing places, I can assure you that it is easier and safer to drive a motorcaravan on such roads than it is on narrow and confined two-lane roads. I'd rather do most of the single-track roads in The Highlands than the A82 up the West side of Loch Lomond any day.

Robinhood,

While I agree completely with your comments regarding courtesy and the highway code, the reality is that probably 95% of the population don't pay any attention to that any more; and probably have not read the code. Probably 30% of the driving population have never taken a UK driving test (or had someone else take it for them!) and sadly there is an 'up yours' attitude prevalent in society today that you could fight but would not win.

At the end of the day I was suggesting that in reality it is you, the operator of the ungainly and over-sized vehicle that has to make allowances. It is called taking responsibility for one's actions; being accountable, and not always pointing the finger at someone else for their apparent discourtesy. I say; don't put others in awkward positions in the first place. It's more polite.

It's not fair that the burden of driving responsibly and with care falls to we in the 5% minority but unless we want to fork out for mirrors (or worse) that is the way it is.

Having said that; nobody else cares about this matter any more than they cared to comment about regulating scrap dealers to stem the theft of catalytic converters. Quite pathetic really.

Nick

euroserv - 2011-07-19 1:35 PM

Robinhood,

While I agree completely with your comments regarding courtesy and the highway code, the reality is that probably 95% of the population don't pay any attention to that any more; and probably have not read the code. Probably 30% of the driving population have never taken a UK driving test (or had someone else take it for them!) and sadly there is an 'up yours' attitude prevalent in society today that you could fight but would not win.

At the end of the day I was suggesting that in reality it is you, the operator of the ungainly and over-sized vehicle that has to make allowances. It is called taking responsibility for one's actions; being accountable, and not always pointing the finger at someone else for their apparent discourtesy. I say; don't put others in awkward positions in the first place. It's more polite.

It's not fair that the burden of driving responsibly and with care falls to we in the 5% minority but unless we want to fork out for mirrors (or worse) that is the way it is.

Having said that; nobody else cares about this matter any more than they cared to comment about regulating scrap dealers to stem the theft of catalytic converters. Quite pathetic really.

Nick

...well, there's not much in this additional post that I would choose to disagree with :-) .

I have to say that, in general, I drive much more defensively using the 'van than a car, and the problems caused by restricted width (even on what are otherwise main A-roads), is one of the factors that influenced the choice of my current 'van (which is narrower than your normal coachbuilt).

As long as one is careful oneself, though, a bit of moaning about the less than helpful behaviour of other motorists surely has to be at least a bit valid. ;-)

FWIW, in more than 20 years, I've only had a motorhome wing mirror smacked once. It was on a road wide enough for two double-decker buses to pass; I could see it coming; I'd virtually stopped at the point where the collision happened; AND it was another motorhome coming the other way that hit it!

The driver freely admitted, when I walked back to talk to her, that she hadn't got her eyes on the road, but was looking for a friend's house. She was quite shaken (and her wing mirror was shattered), but luckily mine (Rapido A-class with a replacement cost of around £900) looked relatively unscathed (apart from scratches which subsequently polished out), and I was able to be quite relaxed about it.

We had a similar situation with a wing mirror on a Renaullt Master based 'van. I made a cardboard template of the mirror glass, took it to a local motor factor and bought a replacement glass for less than £10. I did not remove the broken glass but stuck the new one onto the damaged one using double sided tape and Araldite. The electric adjustment of the repaired mirror worked exactly as before. The repair was hardly noticeable - really only apparent if you looked hard.

That was four years ago and it was still OK when we sold the ‘van in March.

Cattwg :-D

oops looks like i stirred up a can of worms. Probably the worst offenders on the roads are rental vans,ie tight deadlines, peanut wages,roadrage, etc.

Anyone done any fishing lately?

Its enough to make you nash yer teeth!!!

Archived