Mercedes 2.2 and 3.0 ltr

hymer1942

Morning all, can anyone with either of the above engines please give me thier MPG and thier type of Van just to give me a clue to what I might expect if I decide to change Van when I see Hymers new

offerings on the Mercedes Chassis [ 3 only ] after the the Dusseldorf show. Thanks in advance.

Barrie

We have a 3L V6 Merc engine with a full auto box.

Last time i converted the litres/100Km read out it was around 22MPG.

This is in a Rapido A class and towing a Matiz on an 'A' frame.

Ps, I do have a fairly heavy right foot so leave it on cruise when possible.

Hi Barrie,
It all depends how you drive it , how much weight, and how big your vehicle is. So here are some of the averages, You asked about Mercedes Sprinter based Auto B/S class.              2.2 Mercedes Auto---23,,,,,26 MPG,,,Mercedes Sprinter3.0 V6 (Single back wheel) 24,,,,,28MPG,,,,Mercedes Sprinter 3.0 V6 (TW),, 23,,,26MPG, These figures are with average weight up, Note the 3.0 V6(TW)is plated at 5T. Don't forget always TEST DRIVE before you buy.
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks to both for your replies, a bit disserpointed with the 2.2. My 2.7 tiptronic 4.6 ton towing a matiz

always returns 20mpg to spain and back. I was thinking I might do better with the 2.2. The van I have

outlined is the Burstner Aerovan 700 T [ when it comes out under the Hymer badge ] 3.5 ton plus Matiz

Hi Barrie, we have an IH J500m with the 3litre automatic, over the past 15 months and 8000 miles have averaged around 22 mpg. Can range from 25/26 when taking it easy down to 18mpg when pressing on.

That's running pretty fully laden with two bikes on a tow bar rack at the back. Previously had the 2.2 automatic which consistently was 5/6 mpg better. 3 litre auto is a wonderful combination, very silky and smooth. Hope this helps.

Bill

Eweeking is very dangerous and should not be attempted with a suitably qualified ET to help.

Have to agree about the smooothnes of the 3L with autobox !

I am afraid I would not even consider a 2.2 on a 3.5 ton van.

I know lots of people do and I understand there may be many good reasons to do so - but I like the unstressed feel of the V6.

Ours is a Rapido 996M, with 3.0 litre V6 engine, fully automatic, length 7.40m, maximum weight 3880kg, and we don't tow.

We usually get around the 23-24 mpg, but in France, when "pottering" and not in a hurry, have had 26-27mpg on some trips.

Ina.

Hi Barrie, we had the 2.2 auto on our 3500kg lwb van conversion which was fine, but after discussing it with Ian Hartley who built our van, went for the 3litre as we had upgraded the chassis to 3880kg. Must say glad that I did, performance is effortless whether in climbing mountains, we are just back from holidaying in the French alps, or on the autoroutes, unfortunately still working so often in a rush to get places!

On a connected topic, with all the discussion on falling build quality, I can't complain about our IH, we met the team who built our van, discussed where exactly we wanted extras fitted, and they were there watching anxiously when we picked it up to ensure everything was right, fantastic service.

Bill

To add to the mix of views as it were, we have a 2.2l auto in a 6.5m Frankia on a 3.88t chassis and are getting the typical overall 22mpg fully loaded with ranges from 20 to 26mpg depending upon conditions.

I've come to the conclusion, without having the hard data to confirm it, that some of our better results have been achieved with diesel bought in Spain or France, rather than the UK, irrespective of the fact that we've only used the bog standard grade.

We've now done 10,000 miles and I'm very pleased with the Merc unit. It's smooth, will cruise comfortably at all the legal speed limits, is much quieter than the previous 2.8 Fiat, and is more than capable of propelling the Frankia up and through the mountain passes we've encountered and in that regard the rear wheel drive is an added bonus .

I have no experience of the 3l unit but can say that having spent March in tandem around Spain with friends in a similar Frankia but powered by the 3l Fiat (generally regarded as the benchmark engine in this category of vehicles) we were never left in their wake.

Previous threads on this forum have mentioned that the 2.2l Merc engine can use a little oil and our's has also done so - I'd say about 1 litre per 10,000 miles and for those about to buy one make sure you don't fill to the full mark on the dip stick else this consumption will increase considerably. It might be worth asking about oil consumption on the 3l version I've not heard about that.

V

onecal - 2011-07-18 10:32 PM

Hi Ina,

Is that the  rear single wheel ?  as the Rapido MH  auto is a little harder on fuel but not a lot Lovely motorhome.
Regards,
Brendan

Yes, it is the rear single wheel, the 996M, NOT MH.

Ina.

art338 - 2011-07-18 11:19 PM

I never think about mpg, the van is for using, if not then I suggest you stay at home.

art

Well, we're all different, aren't we? The fact that we work out our MPG doesn't mean we don't use the van. To the contrary, we've just returned from a 7+week tour in Germany and France and about 2500 miles. And are booked for another 6+ week trip towards the end of August.

Ina.

Sounds wonderful, our passports are past their sell by date so unfortunately we have to now stay local.

I did at one time think of mpg but gave up, the recommended speeds in tests by manufacturers are usually 56mph so provided I stay in that area I just might be doing well.

I've always concluded that the bigger engines are better in European vans, but having said that it depends on what is carried plus many other factors.

art

I purchased a 3 litre automatic Rapido A class with 6000 miles in January of this year. I have since travelled 3259 miles and used 644.7 litres which works out at about 22.98 mpg.

The van is plated at 3.88 and has the usual aids to poor fuel consumption - awning, satellite dish, cycle rack, tow bar and a full water tank.

I avoid motorways when possible but live close to the M25 so at times have no real choice. I prefer main roads and have had four trips to Normandy so far - always travelling down the coastal roads.

I rarely travel above 55 mph and notice that the onboard computer fuel range drops dramatically over 60mph.

The vehicle is a real pleasure to drive.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Rodger

Huckleberry - 2011-07-22 10:25 AM

I purchased a 3 litre automatic Rapido A class with 6000 miles in January of this year. I have since travelled 3259 miles and used 644.7 litres which works out at about 22.98 mpg.

The van is plated at 3.88 and has the usual aids to poor fuel consumption - awning, satellite dish, cycle rack, tow bar and a full water tank.

I avoid motorways when possible but live close to the M25 so at times have no real choice. I prefer main roads and have had four trips to Normandy so far - always travelling down the coastal roads.

I rarely travel above 55 mph and notice that the onboard computer fuel range drops dramatically over 60mph.

The vehicle is a real pleasure to drive.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Rodger

Thans for that Roger I drive pretty much like you, with a 2.7 tiptronic towing a Matiz I get 20mph to Spain and back. Barrie

The figures coming back Barrie are close, on long trip, with not to heavy right foot, 25MPG for the 3.0 V6 is about right . Just make sure you don't fill up with B30 diesel when in France, poor running and warranty repairs may be a problem later on.
Regards,
Brendan

Archived