Best place to take the van for electrical problems in the North West

kevandali

Hi everyone, I am traveling up to St Bees in the morning where the van is situated, my better half tells me that their is no electrical supply and the electric step has failed to work correctly. Should i get there and there is definitely a problem, where in the north West could I try to get it sorted?

We are off on our hols on Friday so fingers crossed its something that I can sort?

I seem to remember that there was a dealership at Preston? which isn't too far away, nearest big place is Carlisle and then after that I think its a jaunt down the M6.

As always any help much appreciated

Kev

Will write both down, they are both over 100 miles from St Bees but would sooner go by word of mouth than somewhere nearer but not recommended. Thanks for the quick replies.

Anybody heard of St Thomas Cross Garage Ltd, in Egremont which is the next village along.

Total failures are usually something simple, so I'd be checking the 12v source switch, whether the battery is flat or the battery fuse duff etc. It may only be certain things not working so could even be a circuit fuse.

You may even have fallen into the hole I ended up in - the 12 volt isolate switch had been accidently knocked off! :$ I even phoned my dealer (I was away in the van at the time) and he'd no idea what to do!

One thing I quickly discovered was that the wiring diagrams in the handbook were just wrong in many ways, so treat them with large amounts of suspicion.

Had the van serviced and they thought the problem 'could be' the 12v/230v inverter that is situated in the cupboard. They did not come across as being totally convincing. Not sure of my next step,(ha ha next step, get it :-)) as off on our hols in the morning. have a large milk crate on standby. *-)

Sorry I'd not picked this up before - probably now for anyone else searching rather than for OP?

I've no idea about the garage in Egremont - we get our hab work done in Wigton by Jonathan Scott (07823 440813) - smallish set-up on an industrial unit, but very helpful. Josh there is very good on electrics.

I believe there's a spot in Penrith, although have never been there. Another alternative could be Hartleys in Staveley, nr Kendal - again, I've absolutely no idea what they're like.

• 3 months later...

Just had the electrics sorted, thanks to a prompt service by Phil Mcnally from Rhino intallations, good mobile service on 07917 138 561. Main problem was a break in a cable in the roof plus a fuse had gone which enables the engine to charge the leisure batteries.

Next thing is my Carver heater, the clicker thing needs replacing, any ideas? Will post about the Carver heater in a separate post. Thanks for all the info.

There is a great Auto Electrician who lives in the Lake district somewhere called Garry, I have used him quiet a few times and have ALWAYS been very happy with his work. He will travel to you

His mobile number is 07984 716874

Good Luck

Archived