Fiat ASR

colin

Wondered about peoples experiance of the ASR on x250.

A while ago I was in position of wanting/needing to drive up hill to put rear wheels on ramps, wasn't expecting van to do it as front wheels where on grass, but gave it a go. As I expected not enough grip, but, only one wheel spun and I had no indication of the ASR activating, I was expecting ASR to brake the spining wheel (with proboly the hammering of ABS) but nothing, one wheel spun other didn't move. Has anyone had the ASR work on grass at low speed?

Only knowingly used ours once, doesn't seem to kick until a far too higher rotation speed is reached to be of use, seem to remember it kicked in around 1800-2000 rpm in reverse we were on very wet grass on a a slope, dug quite a big muddy hole got out with the aid of a plastic gripmat the ASR did kick in and get us out but did not work as expected.

Where you would normally try to move off slowly to get some grip next time I'm tempted to floor the loud peddle & hope the ASR kicks in.

Hello folks,

I would imagine that the ASR system is optimised for travelling forwards. It works very well on the road in poor conditions and does not intervene too aggressively but (as with ABS) it will be a bit confused when the wheels are rotating the wrong way.

Nick

I was attempting to go forwards uphill, whilst I didn't excactly boot it (going onto ramps probly not a good idea) I did 'burn' the grass under the spinning wheel.

In the manual it says the ASR helps in ice and snow, which is why I'm puzzled, as you wouldn't expect to be heavy footed in these conditions either, still if we have a winter like last I'll find out.

I have only experienced it in very icy/snowy conditions and it worked extremely well. Left Grassington site with 12" snow on the poitch and the main road to Skipton had not been cleared. On two occasions cars in front stopped on the hills and couldn't get going again - our old van would have ground to a halt behind them but the new van just kept going at a slow speed (less revs) in second gear (used manual option on comfortmatic box) past the cars and on up the hill.

Very good on that occasion.

david

• 3 months later...

Just searched the forum and have found this thread which partially answers my query:

Like others I have recently been to the NEC to view the latest motorhomes. Quite interested in a Fiat Ducato based PVC but confused by the a number of options available on the base vehicle. In particular one option available includes ASR (anti-skid) ESP (stability control) and MBA (brake assist) and hillstart assist for around £400. Could anyone who has these options whether they are worthwhile on a motorhome? I have tried finding out more on a Fiat forum but this has still left me confused and concerned by a number of reports of expensive failures – often just outside the warranty period.

My feeling is that they are probably not worth the additional cost, but would welcome advice from the more technical knowledgeable.

Archived