C&CC (little) big sites book

colin

This year we rejoined the C&CC as we have on board facilities and can make better use on CS's.

We now have the latest campsite book, t'other day I was looking up phone number for Reedham Ferry (commercial) site and could not find site listing, checked my old book and it was there, on making a rough calc the old book has over 4000 sites new one has less than 2500 8-) , don't throw your old book away.

mike 202 - 2011-07-18 10:26 PMHave a lot of sites/cls decided to leave the C&CC system, if so then turning up at a site mentioned in the old book could prove embarassing and a time waste.MikeOops 666 posts >:-)

May not always be the case I know one site that was so popular it constantly had problems with limiting the numbers. In the end it came to the attention of the Council who responded by granting planning permission for a 40 van site.

I agree with Colin. The CCC big sites book used to be the best in the business by far. It is now a shadow of its former self in relation to commercial sites. I do not think there is any book now that covers all the sites. Perhaps the growth of the internet is pushing old fashioned printing out of fashion. I have found ukcampsite.co.uk a good reference site - but that all depends on computer access on the move (I havent!). Us motorhomers move where the mood takes us, and it was useful to have a comprehensive reference book in the van to find a convenient stop for the next night.

Guest Tracker

I suspect that as very few CCC members will ever use a commercial site - well why would they need to - that most of us won't miss 'em and we too find the smaller book easier to handle!

Commercial site books are available for those who need them and are probably more comprehensive than the CCC book?

Tracker - 2011-07-20 2:02 PM

I suspect that as very few CCC members will ever use a commercial site - well why would they need to

Sometimes there are no Club sites or CL/CS sites in the immediate vicinity when a stopover at a campsite is required.

Guest Tracker
mel wood - 2011-07-20 2:22 PM

I suspect that as very few CCC members will ever use a commercial site - well why would they need to

Sometimes there are no Club sites or CL/CS sites in the immediate vicinity when a stopover at a campsite is required.

Fair enough, I see your point of view, but I still don't see why any club should clutter up it's own sites book with entries for non club sites - unless the site owners pay a hefty fee - when there are other sources of this info available?

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that as very few CCC members will ever use a commercial site - well why would they need to - that most of us won't miss 'em and we too find the smaller book easier to handle!

Commercial site books are available for those who need them and are probably more comprehensive than the CCC book?

I disagree, traditionaly C&CC site book has had best coverage of ALL sites by far, I have never seen a commercial book with anywhere near the coverage. And why not supply such a service to members? For example, this year we planned to tour northern scotland, an area of something like 5000 sq miles, in the old book there are 32 sites listed this is around one per every 150sq miles, in the new book there are 14 sites one for every 350 sq mile.

Why is there such a reduction? well I've not got around to asking yet but I suspect many sites have cut expenses and paying for listing is one saving.

So as I advised, don't throw your old book away.

I enquired at a C&CC club site last week , to book for one night (Sat) in August. They would not give one night only two, at a cost of £33.00 per night !! As we wanted two places, (for 2 MH) this would have been a very expensive evening. We are not members, so I don't know if this is the normal cost.??

At these rates I know why we don't camp in this country. The site in question was a basic site, no extras like pool/bar/restaurant.

Are all there sites the same price??

PJay

We've only recently joined C&CC so had no reference point to previous big or little books.

We only joined because of the usual problem of not being able to book the CC sites we wanted.

However, in the 8 months since we've had the 'van, somehow I've come to possess the

2 main club books,

Escape 2011,

Britain's Best Caravan Parks 2011,

Best of British Brochure,

131 Essential Sites,

MMM Premier Parks 2011,

41 Essential Open All year Sites brochure and

Best Parks Brochure.

Between them and the ukcampsite website,

I think I've got virtually all sites covered. *-)

PJay - 2011-07-30 10:41 PM

I enquired at a C&CC club site last week , to book for one night (Sat) in August. They would not give one night only two, at a cost of £33.00 per night !! As we wanted two places, (for 2 MH) this would have been a very expensive evening. We are not members, so I don't know if this is the normal cost.??

At these rates I know why we don't camp in this country. The site in question was a basic site, no extras like pool/bar/restaurant.

Are all there sites the same price??

PJay

If your not a member you pay an extra non members pitch fee , if that wasnt the case why would we pay the annual membership fee which is increased almost every year! at the present time its £39 if just joining that is +£10 joining fee that entitles you to a magazine every month and if over 55 I think it is! a discount for recycled teenagers :-D Oh and I forgot to add the BIG SITES BOOK which others have said it is now a much more convenient size.

Margaret

I except what you say, as we are members of CC. Just wondered if the (Not one night) rule apllies to all their sites and if £33.00 was the going rate now for sites in UK. Apart from the odd holiday in Scotland , we have not camped in UK, always go over the water, and use ACSI sites

i agree that non members should pay more. , and members should have preferential booking rites over non members. Just wonder if its worth belonging to either club, as was unable to book into a CC site on a previous occasion, as it was full, Maybe sites should be totally for members only??

You can book single nights at C&CC sites [with 2 exceptions I think] unless the date is at a weekend; over a Bank Holiday period; during High Season, in which case you have to book a minimum of 2 nights.

The High Season per person rate varies, but falls mainly within the £8.25 - £10.15 band. There are a couple more expensive [at £11.30 per night], and a few sites which charge a lot less. [From about £4 - £6.] Age concession rates, available mid and low season, for members over 55, are available during High Season at a handful of sites, and give about a 30% reduction.

Service pitch fee is £3.55 per night all seasons if you require EHU.

Non-member pitch fee is £7.10 per night, all seasons.

So you could easily be asked to pay around £33 as a non-member, depending on site, and whether or not you want a service pitch.

Some sites are “members only” – usually busy sites in popular areas.

We belong to both clubs but find pitches are available more easily with the C&CC, especially over weekends.

PJay - 2011-08-01 1:15 PM

Margaret

I except what you say, as we are members of CC. Just wondered if the (Not one night) rule apllies to all their sites and if £33.00 was the going rate now for sites in UK. Apart from the odd holiday in Scotland , we have not camped in UK, always go over the water, and use ACSI sites

i agree that non members should pay more. , and members should have preferential booking rites over non members. Just wonder if its worth belonging to either club, as was unable to book into a CC site on a previous occasion, as it was full, Maybe sites should be totally for members only??

Hi PJay

Im afraid I cant help with the one night question but I wouldnt pay £33 a night anywhere we have just booked 3 nts at Dunbar we paid £25 deposit and without getting the booking form out I think without electric its around £54 !! we have booked 3 nts at Moffet as well, its the first time we havent asked for a service pitch but we managed 6 weeks over in Germany with our sola panel only hooking up a couple of times so we thought we would have a go, over the water we have only used the Acsi book a couple of times as well ! we stay on stals; mostly,

They do say and that is why we joined the CCC club again! if you are wanting to stay a week you might as well join as it works out cheaper and you get the books. We intend to try some 5 van sites as staying on stals and aires over the water rather spoils it for you and you feel robbed paying on the big sites

As to the question of belonging to the clubs I will have to pass on that one :-S we belong to both and have only used CCC this year and thats only once ! your right about problems booking and the members only bit, but the clubs are only interested in revenue I think and they do get more off non members so I rest my case >:-(

(lol)

Archived