Autocruise Sarasota Suntor

sjh1341

Just bought the above vehicle 2006 model which was owned by Bazzal from the IOM, sadly it has no user manuals for any of the equipment such as Combitronic panel or Sargent electrical kit. It has a Sigma AC111 alarm fitted but again no codes etc with it.

I can even work out how to fill the water tank

help required from you experts out there. :-S

Harvey

many thanks for your response - we are slowly going through the vehicle and then printing off individual instruction booklets for individual sections within the vehicle - rather slow and laborious but we'll get there hopefully !

We still seem to be strugging to even find the water storage on the vehicle - it was advertised as having one but despite thorough inspection we still cant find it. Is it possible our vehicle does not have on board water storage?

any comments fully received

:-(

It's very unlikely indeed that you don't have any on-board water storage!

I can think of two things about Autocruise 'vans of this vintage that may be adding to the confusion.

Though it would appear that the fitting policy at the time was for inboard fresh-water tanks, Autocruise seem, at least on some other models, to have used locations other than the usual "under-seating" locations. I can find at least one contemporaneous model where the tank was in the back of the kitchen units. I think you need to extend your search into any cupboards and other hidden areas. (Though there is just a chance that this particular model might have had an underslung tank).

In addition, at around this time Autocruise didn't fit the large bore filling hose for fresh water, but used a caravan connection type, which had a small-bore and specific fitting which should be used along with a supplied submersible pump, to pump water into the on-board tank. (in other words, it would look like it was set up for an off-board caravan water supply system, but it is used diferently to that). If this system is fitted to your 'van, you should have been supplied with the input hose and submersible pump to allow you to fill the onboard tank. (The system was almost universally disliked as it makes filling by hose difficult, if not impossible).

HTH

Hi. I have just sent a reply to your pm. We are not far away from you and so I should be able to help you out.

You definitely have freshwater storage and it is the dreaded pump only filling system and as has been said, you need to have the special pump connector which fits into a socket just back from the drivers door. I tend to take an aquaroll with me which is permanently connected so that when I need to top up the tank, I just press the button on the main control panel.

Do you have the 'L' shaped front seating or a dinnete?

Tim

Just to clarify the water filling on this type of system:-

You can use the submersible pump type of filling hose together with an Aquaroll or similar, but you should also have a normal hose to fill from a water tap. This hose does need to have the special fitting on the end, to plug in to the filler point. This fitting also incorporates a pressure limiter so you don't blast off the internal pipes when filling ................

My used Starblazer was supplied with both types of hose and I assume that the 'vans would have been so supplied when new. They are quite expensive to buy. You should also find that there is a hatch in the floor above the underslung tank to access the removable tank lid. You can fill from here if you are temporarily without the correct hoses.

When using the submersible pump and aquaroll system the pump can be controlled from the Sargent panel. Either select 'external pump' ( or both ) or you can select 'water tank fill, one minute'.

All this assumes that the Sarasota has the same equipment fitted as my Starblazer, which I belive to be the case.

The way that I use the water filling system is to fill or part fill the tank at home using the hose. On arrival at a site I use the hose to completely fill the tank from the water tap, then, once pitched, i use the submersible pump and aquaroll to save moving the 'van to the tap.

Don't take any notice of the people who say that you can't fill the tank with a hose: they are wrong: you just need to have the special fitting on the end of it.

hth

Harvey

Harvey - 2011-07-20 11:18 AM

You can use the submersible pump type of filling hose together with an Aquaroll or similar, but you should also have a normal hose to fill from a water tap. This hose does need to have the special fitting on the end, to plug in to the filler point. This fitting also incorporates a pressure limiter so you don't blast off the internal pipes when filling ................

Don't take any notice of the people who say that you can't fill the tank with a hose: they are wrong: you just need to have the special fitting on the end of it.

hth

Harvey

I stand corrected!

....but you could have been a bit more gentle about it :->

My fresh water access panel is under the rear 'Dinette' Seat along with the Eberspacher stuff. I also was not aware that you could connect a pipe to the inlet and certainly do not have such a pipe with pressure limiter or a special connector, but I am happy to be proved wrong as it could be useful - although filling through the inspection cover is always an option.

Tim

Here is a picture ( I hope ) of the 'Truma' fitting on my water hose.

You will see that actually, the pressure limiter is a separate unit from the 'plug' and joined to it by a short hose length. The limiter has the name 'DEREVE' embossed.

There is, I believe, a later version of the Truma plug in fitting which is round and so will not fit the older version. I think that a google for 'Truma hose fitting' or similar will find both.

btw, don't take any notice of people who say that .............. oh no! I mentioned that already....... :-D

Harvey

MVC-841F.JPG.956d37a2bdee4cce75195150f7bdfb57.JPG

Leisure Shop Direct sell parts for the Truma Crystal MK2 here:-

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Marine/galley/Water_supply_fittings.aspx

Note that the 'Waterline' hose with pressure limiter and fitting is 70 squid! ( It is also referred to as a Whale but I think that is misprint)

The Crystal MK2 ( if that is what you have ) is actually obsolete and replaced by the 'Ultraflow'.

Harvey

I've never seen such an item described as delivered as standard with the Autocruise 'vans (though, of course, you have one and I don't :-S ).

TBH, I wonder whether this is something that has been cobbled together by the original owner of your 'van, because I can't really see a reason for incorporating a pressure limiter simply for filling an on-board water tank.

Indeed, the link here, (with the different connector you allude to, and which is the only one I can find), indicates it is designed to replace a pumped (off-board caravan-type) supply with a mains pressure system (hence the limiter).

However, as a guide to the other owners, it appears that, with a bit of hose added, you might be able to make up a non-pumped, tap-driven filling arrangement by purchasing one of the pictured attachments (and not bothering with the limiter).

e.g.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_27841/Truma_Hose_connector_Crystal_Mk2_assembly.aspx?aff=122

I have had two Autocruises from new (2004 & 2006) and both were supplied with a submersible pump and a hose with the fitting as shown by Harvey. There is a water tank under the floor with an access panel and a large filler cap.

John T

Robinhood,

That part you linked to may well do as you suggest and a lot cheaper than the 70 quid hose. I assume that the reason for the pressure limiter is because the pipe / hose to the tank from the input socket is only about a half inch I.D. and will have joints and very high mains pressure could blow them apart so without it care may be needed.

My hose was not cobbled together ; it is as shown in my previous link; tenth item down the page. I cut mine in to two because it was *so* long.

Incidently I've noticed that my link goes to Leisureshopdirect 'marine' and that is because that is where my googling got me. I assume that the 'caravan' section has the same stuff listed.

Harvey

I'm certainly not looking to disagree with you; as I say, you have an Autocruise, I have never had one; but I have both seen reviews of the water system fitted, and talked to people who have had it, and found it a pain using the submersible pump to fill the tank.

That's why I wondered whether the mains hose was a purchase by the previous owner, as it would seem to be straightforward to use it for direct mains filling of the tank, and therefore shouldn't have led to any negative comment or reviews. If it is supplied as standard (along with the other connection with the submersible pump) then I can only assume that Autocruise used it as an "off-the-shelf" item, as I still can't see that the pressure limiter is critical.

AFAIK, this Truma system is mainly designed for caravan use, with no onboard tank or pump, and the submersible pump in the external water supply providing water pressure on demand via the connection. My understanding was that Autocruise had fitted it as a way of delivering water into the onboard tank without having to lift and pour from heavy containers.

In a caravan system as set out above, the mains water connection hose is designed to allow you to use a permanent mains water connection without any pump (using instead the normal mains pressure, with the limiter dropping the pressure to a safe working pressure for the whole caravan system).

Using such a hose simply to fill the tank of a motorhome, however, should not pressurise the whole system - hence why I can't see the need for the pressure limiter.

I would certainly try the connector alone with my own bit of hose on it for filling (albeit I might be careful about how far I turned the tap on ;-) )

Again, not being familiar with the Autocruise water system, there is an outside chance that it is equipped with some complicated arrangement that will totally isolate the onboard tank from being filled, and allow the use of the external source alone, either pumped or by mains pressure, (and indeed your description of the panel settings might imply this) in which case, whilst it would seem over-complicated and unlikely to me, I could see the logic of having a pressure limiter.

Robinhood - 2011-07-20 7:37 PM

I'm certainly not looking to disagree with you; as I say, you have an Autocruise, I have never had one; but I have both seen reviews of the water system fitted, and talked to people who have had it, and found it a pain using the submersible pump to fill the tank.

That's why I wondered whether the mains hose was a purchase by the previous owner, as it would seem to be straightforward to use it for direct mains filling of the tank, and therefore shouldn't have led to any negative comment or reviews. If it is supplied as standard (along with the other connection with the submersible pump) then I can only assume that Autocruise used it as an "off-the-shelf" item, as I still can't see that the pressure limiter is critical.

AFAIK, this Truma system is mainly designed for caravan use, with no onboard tank or pump, and the submersible pump in the external water supply providing water pressure on demand via the connection. My understanding was that Autocruise had fitted it as a way of delivering water into the onboard tank without having to lift and pour from heavy containers.

In a caravan system as set out above, the mains water connection hose is designed to allow you to use a permanent mains water connection without any pump (using instead the normal mains pressure, with the limiter dropping the pressure to a safe working pressure for the whole caravan system).

I understand what you are saying there and you could be quite right. I know nothing about caravan systems .......... well i didn't before just now. :-D

Some of the negative comments that I have seen of this Truma Crystal system are that one cannot fill the tank from a watering can or bottle. Sometimes these comments have been from people who thought you *had* to use the hose and didn't kow about the pump alternative! ........ :-S

The only downside for me is that it is slightly easier to stick a normal hose in a normal filler hole than it is to plug in the Truma thing. I *like* the pump system. I made a diy one for my previous 'van. Of course you do need somewhere to carry the Aquaroll or other water container and I don't suppose Autocruise supplied one of *those* with a new 'van.

Anyway, I guess the O.P. knows a bit more about his water system now. ;-)

Harvey

Hi Steve & Tiny Tim.

Regarding the info I sent you, please add this post from another thread by Keith.

If there are any manuals you can't obtain, it should give you an understanding even if your specific equipment is not shown.

"Hi Titch,

If you can't get a specific manual for your model of MH then you should consider getting a copy of The Motorcaravan Manual by John Wickersham. It may well be worth getting anyway as it covers all aspects of using and maintaining your MH from plumbing to electrics and more.

Keith."

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/motorhomeandcaravanbooks-21/detail/1844250474

Harvey, I have the same hose you picture. I have manually filled my on board water tank by garden hose through the motorhome door into the top of the tank to test all water. I have a fully functioning hot and cold water system at all points, shower indoor and outdoor and sink.

I have figured the sargent panel out re internal pump for using all the water system but I cannot figure how to fill the onboard tank from the external point. When I connect the hose as photographed and switch to external pump then turn in on so it displays "running" i get no filling of the tank. The hose is connected to the outside tap at my house but nothing happens. I have no reason to think that it does not work as everything else in the entire van is spot on.

Does this hose need to be attached to a pump for in to work and into an aqua roll as an example? Why can I not fill the internal tank from the external point? Is there a valve or switch I am missing

thanks

Steve

Steve, I think you have misunderstood something, or it wasn't explained clearly. You only need to use the 'external pump' function if you are filling, via the external 'socket', using a submersible pump inserted into a water container. I had one of these supplied with my Starblazer as well as the long hose as mentioned.

Using the supplied hose connected to your water supply tap and with it's 'plug' installed in the external filling point, you only then need to turn on the water tap and the water will flow into the tank: no 'pumping' required.

If you follow this link:--

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/marine/galley/water_supply_fittings/Truma_Crystal_Filter_Housing_and_Compact_Housing.aspx

...and look at this item:--'Truma Crystal 2 Thames pump assembly' That is the thing that you can use for pumping water from a container, when you would use the 'external pump' function or the 'Water Fill One Minute' function from the Sargent panel.

If you are still not sure / having trouble filling come back and we'll see if we can help more. Let us know how you get on anyway.

Harvey

Harvey, all sorted, I decided to take apart the blue pressure guage on the hose as I had nothing better to do with my day off :-)

It was blocked by a piece of silicone rubber and dirt so no flow was getting to the van from the hose, cleaned and reassembled and hey presto water tank fills from outside tap system in to the van connection.

I now understand the pump thingy after your second version and after readin the first again. So I actually think I am ready for the road.

The waste tank does not show a level on the sergant panel, stays at 0% full even after I have filled it by turning all taps on. So I guess thats a sensor not working. Hey ho :-)

Hot air blowers working, hot water very hot at all outlets and time for the coast Friday night ...

thanks

steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Fellow Sarasota owner here..

Firstly, the internal tank should be accessed via a hole in the floor in front of the oven (Lift the carpet)

Secondly, its possible to fill straight from a tap at a site. WHALE do an attachment which clips into the the van's water inlet and simply attached to food quality hose. We bought it in Go Outdoors

Happy to help with any other manuals you may be missing

Good advice - get the wiring checked for the Eberspacher heating system, as when running on Diesel only, the electrical cable needs to be a certain rating otherwise the hot water system wont work..we found this out to our detriment and apparently it is a common fault.

Robinhood - 2011-07-20 8:59 AM

It's very unlikely indeed that you don't have any on-board water storage!

I can think of two things about Autocruise 'vans of this vintage that may be adding to the confusion.

Though it would appear that the fitting policy at the time was for inboard fresh-water tanks, Autocruise seem, at least on some other models, to have used locations other than the usual "under-seating" locations. I can find at least one contemporaneous model where the tank was in the back of the kitchen units. I think you need to extend your search into any cupboards and other hidden areas. (Though there is just a chance that this particular model might have had an underslung tank).

In addition, at around this time Autocruise didn't fit the large bore filling hose for fresh water, but used a caravan connection type, which had a small-bore and specific fitting which should be used along with a supplied submersible pump, to pump water into the on-board tank. (in other words, it would look like it was set up for an off-board caravan water supply system, but it is used diferently to that). If this system is fitted to your 'van, you should have been supplied with the input hose and submersible pump to allow you to fill the onboard tank. (The system was almost universally disliked as it makes filling by hose difficult, if not impossible).

HTH

I disagree with the last statement, I like the water filler on my Autocruise Starlet 2 (a Marquis Starburst ) you just need the correct fitting on the end of your filler hose.

The inboard tank on the Starburst is behind the 'swing-out' section of the kitchen cupboards has a drain off tap and being inboard is NOT prone to freezing up.

You need one of these fittings, just connect the water pipe no need for the 12v connection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-HORSEBOX-CARVER-TRUMA-CRYSTAL-2-PUMP-CONNECTION-/180706214602?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a12ee02ca

Ray

PS I can CONFIRM that NO pressure limiter is required, fill straight through at tap pressure.

I only use the supplied submersable pump if not moving the van for a few days, then just stick it in a portable water container. easier than trying to tip it in.

Archived