Problems in france

Mickydripin

Hi everyone I have been in south west France for almost two months now in my new motorhome.

things have not been so hunky dorey as with a new van you expect things to go well but alass no.

Second day the external light stopped working you would think no problem I will change the bulb but no chance when the dealer fitted it he decided in all his wisdom to glue it to the van and I have tried my best to get it off.

Then when I turned my radio on it would not work without the ignition on I thought that if I turned the ignition to the first click it would work but alass No I have to turn it to the second click and all the ignition lights come on is it safe to have it on like that or will it burn the ignition out.

then the wipers decided to go on strike I sorted them out by wiping around the wiper motor as it was a bit wet one of the problems that fiat should have sorted

Next the habitation air conditioning it is supposed to work while the vehical is on the move alass once more it does not work I had it fitted because the vehicle does not have engine air con it works great on hook up am I asking too much from a new vehicle

Well that is the vehicle.

If you have decided to come to France wait a while if you can the weather is horrible it has done nothing but rain thunder stormes and wind that you have never seen before it is the worst year that I can remember and it has blown since we got here some people that I know that have gone further down south have text us and said that it is just as bad there and are thinking of abandoning there holiday.

Another problem is the attetude of the French it has changed since I last came we parked in a car park in La Rochelle not over the lines and not protruding to the front and the police turned up and told us to move when we parked up a man in is car was behind us and tried to get in the space as I was reversing in but I kept going, when I was parked I saw him on the phone when I went to put the money in the parking meter the police came and told me to move even though I was parked properley when I moved the man that was on the phone pulled in to the place where I was parked and gave me a dirty look he must have rung them not only that several shops that I have used are not very helpfull at all as I am not very good at the lingo least of all was lidle one assistant even asked me to take my items off the belt and go on the next one I thought that she was going off when I moved my items to another belt she still carried on serving other people and from here maner she was talking about us to other customers when I asked her what was going on she said you will have to wait five minute.

Well I have had my moans and will get on with my holiday until the middle of September and hope things get better just one thing to add that may help someone diesel here is 132 euro at the Le Clerc supermarket.

But food is very expensive.

Mike.

New vans your always going to have teething problems annoying as it is . As for the French in our experiences shopping etc I think they appreciate even the worst attempts at speaking French and in general I have always found them nice folk , In Greece a couple of times I have felt uncomfortable with shop assistants attitudes and simply left the supermarket and spent my money elsewhere

We are about one and half hours south of La Rochelle and the weather this week has been quite mixed, I know it is no good for holiday makers but it is excellent for us as we haven't had rain here for over 3 months and it has been unbearably hot. We have always found that the weather last week of June and first two weeks of July are not too great anyway. It doesn't look to be picking up until about 27th July, unfortunately we have our Son and Grandson coming tomorrow, Son for a week and Grandson for 3 weeks so we are hoping for some sun.

As far as the attitude of the French is concerned, we haven't noticed any difference, what may be happening is that they are due their Holidays and you know what it is like when you are ready to go away you don't have patience for anyone.

Mickydripin - 2011-07-19 11:11 PM

Then when I turned my radio on it would not work without the ignition on I thought that if I turned the ignition to the first click it would work but alass No I have to turn it to the second click and all the ignition lights come on is it safe to have it on like that or will it burn the ignition out...

................................................................................................................................................

Next the habitation air conditioning it is supposed to work while the vehical is on the move alass once more it does not work I had it fitted because the vehicle does not have engine air con it works great on hook up am I asking too much from a new vehicle

I've no hands-on experience of Ducato radio operation, but my understanding is that the standard radio provides 20 minutes-worth of listening with the vehicle's ignition turned off and with the ignition-key removed from the ignition-switch. Switching the radio on or off is (naturally enough) carried out via the radio's own ON/OfFF switch.

For continuous listening the ignition-key will need to be in the ignition-switch and the key will need turning to the appropriate position. I would have thought this position would be (as you put it) "the first click" and I would expect a limited part of the instrument-panel display to illuminate at that point - perhaps just the odometer.

If your radio won't operate at the "first click" ignition-key position and, when you select "the second click" all the ignition lights come on (and turning the ignition-key any further causes the starter-motor to operate) then it definitely will NOT be safe to use the radio with the ignition-key at that second-click position unless the vehicle engine is running.

Could other forum members with current-model Ducatos comment on the above, please, just in case there's some peculiar procedure that needs to be followed to get the radio to function without the vehicle's ignition being 'fully' on?

................................................................................................................................................

Are you sure the air-conditioner fitted to your motorhome isn't 230V-only, as these are significantly cheaper and easier to install than 230V/12V models? It would be possible to run a 230V-only air-conditioner while driving, but you'd need an expensive separate inverter to do this and I'm sure you'd know about that if you had one.

I can't say I've noticed any attitudinal changes in the French since we started visiting that country in the 1980s, or - to put it another way - if there have been attitudinal changes, they've been changes no different to those that have taken place in the UK so they haven't seemed remarkable. It might be interesting to discover how helpful UK shop assistants would be if confronted with having to deal with French people with minimal English language skills.

Food in France is expensive nowadays, but I'm not sure it's any more expensive than in the UK when quality is taken into account. And, of course, it depends on what you food you buy and how selective you are. As my wife fills up our motorhome's fridge/freezer with French food before we return home, I must assume bargains are available. Certainly it's still possible to lunch in France startlingly cheaply and well.

"In Greece a couple of times I have felt uncomfortable with shop assistants attitudes and simply left the supermarket and spent my money elsewhere"; we find a very similar situation in North Wales. France is another ball game, as has been said above if you try to speak even rudimentary French it's appreciated. We have no more problems with stroppy shop assistants in France than we do in England.

As to parking in La Rochelle we use the aires along with many other mh's of all nationalities and have never had a problem, it's what it is there for. With the free electric bus into town it's not worth the aggravation of trying to park in a "normal" car park.

Mickydripin - 2011-07-19 11:11 PMHi everyone I have been in south west France for almost two months now in my new motorhome. things have not been so hunky dorey as with a new van you expect things to go well but alass no.Second day the external light stopped working you would think no problem I will change the bulb but no chance when the dealer fitted it he decided in all his wisdom to glue it to the van and I have tried my best to get it off. Then when I turned my radio on it would not work without the ignition on I thought that if I turned the ignition to the first click it would work but alass No I have to turn it to the second click and all the ignition lights come on is it safe to have it on like that or will it burn the ignition out.then the wipers decided to go on strike I sorted them out by wiping around the wiper motor as it was a bit wet one of the problems that fiat should have sortedNext the habitation air conditioning it is supposed to work while the vehical is on the move alass once more it does not work I had it fitted because the vehicle does not have engine air con it works great on hook up am I asking too much from a new vehicle...

Can you get to the bulb from the inside? It might mean going behind a panel. Our last exterior light was stuck on but was serviceable from behind a cupboard's back panel.

I wired our X250 (and previous Fiat versions) radio to by-pass the ignition switch. You then just turn the thing on and off as you want to, no reliance upon keys in ignition and no security risk. Probably one to consider on your return.

Water ingress into engine bay should have been sorted, one for the dealer I reckon.

Aircon is likewise one for the people that fitted it. If indeed it should work when the engine is running, there's either a component failure of they've made a hash of fitting it.

Sadly none of it is surprising, motorhomes generally are often sloppily built.

Hope you enjoy your hols anyway, for what it's worth we've been to / passed through France about a dozen times and it's chucked it down at some point every single time. 

It's kind of what happens there, that might be one of the reasons you're finding some Frenchies are miserable.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-07-20 9:32 AM I've no hands-on experience of Ducato radio operation, but my understanding is that the standard radio provides 20 minutes-worth of listening with the vehicle's ignition turned off and with the ignition-key removed from the ignition-switch. Switching the radio on or off is (naturally enough) carried out via the radio's own ON/OfFF switch. For continuous listening the ignition-key will need to be in the ignition-switch and the key will need turning to the appropriate position. I would have thought this position would be (as you put it) "the first click" and I would expect a limited part of the instrument-panel display to illuminate at that point - perhaps just the odometer. If your radio won't operate at the "first click" ignition-key position and, when you select "the second click" all the ignition lights come on (and turning the ignition-key any further causes the starter-motor to operate) then it definitely will NOT be safe to use the radio with the ignition-key at that second-click position unless the vehicle engine is running. Could other forum members with current-model Ducatos comment on the above, please, just in case there's some peculiar procedure that needs to be followed to get the radio to function without the vehicle's ignition being 'fully' on?

Our radio (2010 Swift Bolero 680FB on Fiat Ducato) is wired to the leisure battery (in addition to the vehicle ignition, I believe) as the internal control panel must be turned on if the vehicle ignition is off.

Conversely, if the panel is off the radio can be used off the vehicle ignition but only if it set to 'the 2nd position' as in the OP's description. There doesn't seem to be a true 'AUX' position as in 'the old days'.

Having said that, the reception is perfect on site but dreadful on the move (this is slightly better than how i described it on delivery and a VERY long running saga on Swift Talk).

We have just had 9 weeks in the Vendee (returning on 20th June) and had the most glorious weather until starting the trip back north towards home................

We also found (to a man/woman) the French to be extremely pleasant and helpful. My French is 'schoolboy plus' but seemed to trigger some engagement in the transactions we carried out whether in restaurants, shops, garages or campsites.

Can't wait to go back, had enough here already!  

Mike, you present a very different picture of French people than we have found in many trips to France over the years. A quick example; last week-end whilst staying on the aire at Deuie-sur-Meuse the local residents were having a street party and invited us over to join them. Here we were staying in our vans at the bottom of their gardens and the reaction was to invite us to join them for food, drinks , dancing. conversation etc. In U.K. I fear it would have been how dare you park there! (Yes we speak some French but main thing is at least to make an attempt, no matter how limited). We have always found people in France to be like this, friendly, welcoming and with a good sense of humour.

Regarding weather, well we have been in Eastern France for just over 2 weeks now and yes it has been mixed, but with some hot sunny days and certainly no worse, and almost certainly, better than U.K. But do not come for weather but to visit places, relax and chat with the locals!

So Mike suggest you try a little harder to interact with the locals and enjoy the country no matter what the weather. (Remember also that staff in stores like Lidal are paid low wages for non-stop work, so may not always be at their best)

Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear things not going so good, this I am afraid can happen in any country. This also feels worse when things not going so well with the Motorhome aswell. If you have until Sept why not head down south to Carcassonne, Perpignan and Collioure as the weather is very good there at the moment 21-25oC. Regarding your Air Con check all connections and fuses to your Inverter. check your owners manual or a quick phone call to your dealer.
Regards,
Brendan

Hi Derek

Just a few things to clarify the van that I was given in exchange was a basic model and the only one that they offered as you know the predicument that I was in at the time so to bring it up to the spec of my previous van I had fitted a radio, aircon.exterior light spare weel etc. the radio is a good one but not a Fiat one and it looks as though they have just connected it to the ignition.

The air con is 240/12v fitted with a 1700w inverter and an extra battery just for the AC so that it would work on the road and has a seperate switch for that, the orange light is on but when you press the control it just flashes but does not start.

Food in France is a lot more expensive we went for a meal yesterday and it cost us £45 for three meals of fries,omlet and a small tomato and a bit of lettece with three cups of coffee and that was only in a cafe type of place at home it would have cost us about 12 or £15 and you would have got proper chips all this is down to the exchange rate I suppose and is somthing we have to put up with 150 euro`s does not seem to go anywhere when buying food for a week a pint of beer cost me 6 euro 90 and a small bottle is 3e 60 to my calculations that is around £6 a pint no chance of getting drunk too often so where you get it is about equal to the UK i dont know,

Any way I am not prepared to pack up and go home yet I have tried to learn a bit of french and I do try you learn more and more as you go on I do not expect the French to speak english but some even in the shops are very hard to please and give you side looks when you try so the saying that the French are pleased when you try is not always true I like to try to speak broken french but all they do is laugh at you and make sarcastic remarks to other French people you can tell by there gestures.

Mike

Never had any problems with the French always found them to be very helpful. Spent a long weekend in France at the end of May and most of last September still reckon food to be cheaper & better quality than in the UK.

Our radio is wired to the leisure battery.

Not had any problems with water under the bonnet our van is 2008.

Mike, Sorry in my haste of last reply forgot to say hope you get van problems sorted out O.K. Regarding costs then on balance we find it about the same as U.K. with fuel about 10p/litre cheaper, drinkable wines much cheaper (forget the beer!) and site costs much, much cheaper (we stay on aires, but the cost saving is not our main reason for doing this). Weather here at Charmes (dept 88) warm and sunny now after some rain this morning. Sat outside van sending this, overlooking canal, van hooked-up all for 6€/night plus 3€ for 48 hours wi-fi (now how much cheaper is that than club sites at home!)

Yes eating out can be expensive but not always. Had lunch sat outside cafe in sun, in Verdun on Sat. For 2 pizzas,half-bottle Rose and 2 coffee cost was just under 20€ which we thought was good value and would have been no cheaper at home and certainly not the same ambience.

Hi Mick

These websites may help you with weather in France: http://tinyurl.com/5c4ek7 is Meteo France, the French version of the Met Office in UK. It works mainly with maps and pictogrammes, so is quite easy to find your way around. Looks as though you need to go south towards the Mediterranean coast pdq! Or this: http://tinyurl.com/3laeugr is Metcheck, which is an English service that gives free weather forecasts for most European countries.

The problem with the kind of eating out you're doing is that the French have never, really, done snack meals well. Cafés are usually very expensive in any event. French snacks and light meals can be the absolute pits!

If you going to go out to eat, sniff out a half decent restaurant, and be prepared to pay E60+ for the two of you including a bottle of wine, and spend a couple of hours over the meal. You can keep the cost down by having just one dish each a-la-carte, and most places will do wine by the glass if you smile sweetly! If you're using campsites, ask in reception if they know of a good, reasonably priced, restaurant nearby (but tactless if the campsite has on itself! :-)). Failing that, go to the Tourist Information and ask. If you want to get the lowdown on what is good locally, buy a Michelin red (hotels and restaurants) guide, and look for the places with indications of good value meals. I'm sure it can fall down, but have never had a bad meal yet using this. Look for the tourist menus outside places, most are three course, but many now do a two course for office workers: choice of starter and main, or main and sweet. Chat up the waiter before you sit down to see if his English is any good, and whether he can help translate.

Avoid absolutely anything on the menu that looks like andouillette - it is a kind of tripe sausage very popular in some areas - but the smell alone will get most Brits heaving! :-) Don't be put off snails (escargots) or frogs (grenouilles) - though I doubt you will fine the latter where you are. Both are delicious. You'll have trouble with most fish because few of the waiters know the English names. However, near the coast they are often a good, though often expensive, option. If you like seafood, take a lucky dip. Red meat will generally be served a bit to very bloody (this will include kidneys and duck), if you don't like this, ask for it to be well cooked.

The tourist menus vary a lot in price, depending where you are, in terms of popularity. Seafront places in a popular resort will do you the most damage, away from the seafront better value, with small towns inland, generally, being the best value and often better overall. Reckon, roughly, that the wine will cost as much as a meal so, for two of you, budget on the cost of three meals.

Don't buy beer (or really anything else!) in bars or cafés. They are for spending half an afternoon in, with just the one drink, and charge accordingly! If you prefer beers, look around the supermarkets booze shelves. Hoengarten white beer in 500ml bottles can be amazingly cheap compared to UK. France being France, wine is generally best value. French cyder is excellent. Look for the 2 litre plastic bottles with a slightly cloudy content: Loic Raison is a good one - smells of apples when you unscrew the top. Then, drink whatever you get back at the van.

Use that Le Clerc rather than bleedin' Aldi, generally good quality and not unreasonable prices. Salad and fruit should be good quality and inexpensive. In most places you weigh and label as you go - watch the others. Meat more expensive than UK. Most drinks cheaper. Shift your diet towards what the French eat, especially breakfast. Forget bacon and eggs, coffee, croissants and apricot jam - preferably Bonne Maman!

We do the same as Brian but do like to eat out no and then. I do not rate french cooking as most restaurants you go it its French fries and what ever Mick the only problem I have had with any French person was this June down on the med coast June. We went into a restaurant and where greeted by a young man who apparently was the owners son. He was blabbering away to my wife about did we want to choose from the menu or do the Buffet, Has my wife does not speak French she shrugged her shoulders and said no understand, At this a French family of 12 sat at a large table made a couple of rude remarks and started to laugh The guy that made the remarks was trying to laugh with the rest of his family but it sound more like a pig grunting, at this point the owner arrived and asked was there a problem In French. So I answered, Yes there was I Told him I thought the waiter was very unprofessional in that he laugh at the remarks made and also agreed with the gentle man. I then turned to the French man and asked him in my best French .Where he was from and was he on vacation and I did not now that French restaurants allowed pigs in to their dinning area at this point to started to choke on his food, the rest of the people eating burst out laughing . I then turned to the Owner apologised for his clientele and walked out to the sound of a very upset owner.

We walked across the road into another restaurant and received a very nice welcome. I am fortunate in that I can speak French and my wife speaks German

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm astonished at some of the comments here, we have found France to be no different to anywhere else in Europe, including North Wales( oh yes they speak Welsh just to annoy you). There are genuinely nice folk anywhere, conversely sometimes you meet the others. Perhaps reflect that in all the service industries these folk are doing a boring brain dead job, on minimum wage, and having worked with the good old British public myself I can say that in itself is not a barrel of laughs. I always find a big smile, and an attempt at friendliness no matter where you are goes a long way, including France.

Absolutely right 1foot, I confess I fell into the trap of stereotyping as a teenager but as I started to travel it dawned on me that people are just that, albeit informed by their own culture. Things are changing but it's still surprising just how entrenched some of this toffee is.

To matters more motorhome, now we see how Mr Dripin's aircon is powered when the engine is running via an inverter, if he could perhaps describe a bit more of how the whole thing is assembled we might be able to offer some ideas.

I assume that the inverter is powered via a relay and maybe an independent switch. There'll more than likely also be a switch on the inverter itself. I wonder if there's a mains plug then plugged into the inverter that directly powers the aircon, or whether it's ac wiring is fixed and goes to a consumer unit. Unless there's a drastic failure of some component, it should be fixable on the road.

If he could describe the arrangement in detail, that'd be good.

I'm finicky about food quality and my wife cooks to Cordon Blue standard.

I don't think we've ever paid more than €30 for a midday meal for two (including wine) in France.

(it's perhaps worth saying that I'm a serious omnivore, so a starter course of lambs' brains holds no fears for me and I'm particularly fond of andouillette. I think the only French dish that has ever really challenged me was "Tripoux d'Auvergne" eaten at an outdoor exhibition at La Rochelle. Not sure I'd want that again!)

Guest 1footinthegrave
So does mine, you should see her oven chips & turkey twizzlers, cordon blue, is that an offshoot from Cordon bleu. :-S :-S :-S

Hi Brian thanks for the info that is very interesting and helpfull but I am unable to go south until the end of August as I am on a site in Les Sables helping someone out.

I feel as though I am on another planet when I read some of the other posts I am not unhelpfull and or backward when trying to be sociable with the French I do try to speak french and I go out of my way to smile and thank them for there help.

BUT I feel as though things have changed since I was here in 2008 then I had a great time and was upset that the problems that I had with my Van stopped me from comming back each year.

There are some nice people here but the few that are not turn things sour now and again.

I am possibley more in the fireing line as I have to shop for spares for the mobiles that I am looking after plus for our food as well so when I compare prices I am comparing on a wide range of goods that people here just on holiday do not buy but I must keep in mind that the exchange rate was as much as 1.45euro to the pound in 2008 so it is a double shock for me.

Lennyhb

maybe you can speak French better than me try to ask people for something in broken french and then see what they say.

Ifoot You say you are astonished and that these people are doing a boring brain dead job does that mean that it is ok for them to be rude or ignorant.

Crinkleyfish.

As for the aircon I have two 95aph batteries that are connected via two large fuses then to a mobiltronic unit to the inverter it comes out of the inverter via what looks like a french plug and at the botom is another plug that looks like a kettle plug it is then wired to a domestic type plug with a switch on it and that switch is for when the vehicle is on hook up this has to be turned off when I want it on 12v and vehicle is mobile and there is a touch sensor pad to activate the AC.I can not have them both on at the same time or it will blow the fuses the fuses are ok because there is an orange light showing that there is power to the unit.

That is all I can tell you as it is very hard to follow how they have connected it up but it looks as if they have done a good job of it (if it worked)

I am sorry if I have not replyed to all posters but thanks for all your input.

Mike.

Hi Brian thanks for the info that is very interesting and helpfull but I am unable to go south until the end of August as I am on a site in Les Sables helping someone out.

I feel as though I am on another planet when I read some of the other posts I am not unhelpfull and or backward when trying to be sociable with the French I do try to speak french and I go out of my way to smile and thank them for there help.

BUT I feel as though things have changed since I was here in 2008 then I had a great time and was upset that the problems that I had with my Van stopped me from comming back each year.

There are some nice people here but the few that are not turn things sour now and again.

I am possibley more in the fireing line as I have to shop for spares for the mobiles that I am looking after plus for our food as well so when I compare prices I am comparing on a wide range of goods that people here just on holiday do not buy but I must keep in mind that the exchange rate was as much as 1.45euro to the pound in 2008 so it is a double shock for me.

Lennyhb

maybe you can speak French better than me try to ask people for something in broken french and then see what they say.

Ifoot You say you are astonished and that these people are doing a boring brain dead job does that mean that it is ok for them to be rude or ignorant.

Crinkleyfish.

As for the aircon I have two 95aph batteries that are connected via two large fuses then to a mobiltronic unit to the inverter it comes out of the inverter via what looks like a french plug and at the botom is another plug that looks like a kettle plug it is then wired to a domestic type plug with a switch on it and that switch is for when the vehicle is on hook up this has to be turned off when I want it on 12v and vehicle is mobile and there is a touch sensor pad to activate the AC.I can not have them both on at the same time or it will blow the fuses the fuses are ok because there is an orange light showing that there is power to the unit.

That is all I can tell you as it is very hard to follow how they have connected it up but it looks as if they have done a good job of it (if it worked)

Mike.

Lennyhb

Crinkleyfish.

As for the aircon I have two 95aph batteries that are connected via two large fuses then to a mobiltronic unit to the inverter it comes out of the inverter via what looks like a french plug and at the bottom is another plug that looks like a kettle plug it is then wired to a domestic type plug with a switch on it and that switch is for when the vehicle is on hook up this has to be turned off when I want it on 12v and vehicle is mobile and there is a touch sensor pad to activate the AC.I can not have them both on at the same time or it will blow the fuses the fuses are ok because there is an orange light showing that there is power to the unit.

Mike.

Guest 1footinthegrave

You took my comments out of context, but whatever, hope the sun starts shining for you, and all your troubles are little ones.

Oh and be happy that you did not get shot down in flames as I did for saying that you are finding the food expensive as I had commented on another thread :-)

Archived