FIAT X250 Airbag warning light

Nicegrover53

I recently fitted a bench seat temporarily in my 2008 FIAT X250. When I turned on the ignition the airbag warning light came on and stayed on until I switched off again. I naively thought that when I refitted my original single seat the warning light would go away. Unfortunately it didn't and now continues to stays on all the time. I have checked the electrical connection under the seat.

Has anyone any ideas as to how to correct this. I will want to use the bench seat again in the future.

The annoying thing is I don't have an airbag on the passenger seat.

There is no airbag in the passenger seat but there is a seatbelt pre tensioner which is on the same circuit as the airbags. The vehicle simply needs hooking up to a diagnostic computer to clear the light, assuming you've reconnected the wiring of course.

D.

Guest Peter James

Then when you disconnect the seat belt pre tensioner again you need to wire about a 2 ohm, (or 12 volt sidelight bulb) in place of the pre tensioner to stop the light coming on.

I don't know why the light has not gone out when you reconnected the seat belt pretensioner though. It should have done. I suggest you check all the connections thoroughly.

Gentlemen,

Dave is exactly right. The light can only be reset by a diagnostic computer. This is a 'safety critical' warning as opposed to an emissions related one which could reset itself when the problem is remedied.

You do not have to go to Fiat for this; there are a number of diagnostic devices that will do this including our Technotest Reflex machine. Ask your nearest workshop what they have and if they can do it. If they say they would have to try it to see if it works; tell them that you will only pay if they are successful!

Nick

Guest Peter James

I too have a 2008 X2/50. Just puzzled as to why my airbag warning light has always gone out when I reconnected the pre tensioner, or replaced it with a resistor or bulb.

It has never been reset by diagnostic computer, or anything like that. Only by switching the ignition off and on.

There was one occasion though when it didn't go out straight away, but after I had switched the ignition off and on again a couple of times, so (if the wiring connections are all good) that might be worth a try?

I have checked the connections of both seats when they are in situ with no luck. So it looks like I need to go down the wired resistor route.

I don't have access to the MH at the moment. Presumably there are only two wires to connect the bulb (resistor) to?

Thanks

Dave,

I wish to swop the seats depending on my number of passengers. Are you saying that if I have the diagnostic reset the problem will go away or will it come back everytime I change the seats - in which case would I be better off putting in the resistor?

R

Archived