French municipals

hymer1942

hymer1942 - 2011-07-21 12:25 PMAfternoon all, does anyone know is it possible to get just the municpal camp sites anywhere, book or internet list. Barrie

I have the Caravan Club Europe book, which lists loads of municipal sites as well as many others. If you are not a member you may still be able to buy it or perhaps a look on eBay could turn up a used one?

I'm not sure it's entirely reliable in giving you a complete list, but the easiest way I've found to locate municipals is using

http://www.campingfance.com

If you select an area by successively drilling down through the geographic region options, and then when you've got to the smallest area you want to look at you then use the keyword option "municipal", it will give you a list of the same in the selected geographic region.

For example, if you start with the whole of France, it will give you over 2000 hits against "municipal". (not very useful!)

If however, you first select "Alsace", then "Bas Rhin", and then filter by keyword "municipal" it will show 21 sites in the region.

HTH

lennyhb - 2011-07-21 2:19 PM

you have to bear in mind many that were municipals are no longer a lot have been and still are being sold off.

Yes - even some that still say "Municipal" are actually privately run now, and not as cheap as they used to be!

Tony Jones - 2011-07-21 6:59 PM

lennyhb - 2011-07-21 2:19 PM

you have to bear in mind many that were municipals are no longer a lot have been and still are being sold off.

Yes - even some that still say "Municipal" are actually privately run now, and not as cheap as they used to be!

However, I have to ask. :-) Why would you want this? Would you eschew any place that did not have a minicipal, even if you wanted to go there?

I ask, because some of the municipals can be a bit down at heel and rough, and some get quite heavily dominated by the "gentlemen of the road" at various times of the year.

I think the Caravan Club Caravan Europe 1 is the best sites guide, because the comments are submitted by users who actually stay there (albeit most are caravaners and are prone to quote times to reach shops etc by car and not on foot, and some of the needs of motorhomers are a bit misunderstood) rather than by touring inspectors. Added bonus is the entries are dated, and the book is updated annually, so you can see how up-to date the comments are.

The sites listed are a mix of municipal and commercial, but it is generally clear which are which, with the caveat as above that many of the municipals are being sold off, or that the site management contracted out.

As a bonus, you get Spain and Portugal as well! :-D

Archived