Insurance cover for bikes on rack of motorhome

Lizziewhizz

Hi can anyone offer any advice, we have two expensive mountain bikes that we want to take with us on our motorhome. We have a very good Thule rack which is locked to the tow bar and the bikes lock to the rack. I have tried both the home insurance and caravan guard but neither will insure the bikes whilst on the motorhome as it is not a permanent structure! Has anyone been able to get insurance which covers you when on your are away? It is not always possible to lock them in a building when on a camp site. Hope you can help

Hi Lizzie

Weldome to the mad house! :-D

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who will insure you for them whilst they are on the motorhome, for the reason you have been given. However, a permanent structure doesn't mean you normally have to lock them actually INSIDE a building, just to something which is not 'movable', ie a tree, lamp post etc.

The only place I can suggest you might be able to find out if you can get insurance cover, it so contact a cycle forum and see if anyone on there knows of anywhere that will insure them on their own policy whilst on, or in, vehicles.

Hi mel b

Thanks for a speedy response, much appreciated! I'll keep searching on some bike forums, I found a couple which linked back to the same online quote but didn't really make it clear if it covered you or not! Quotes were over £340 per year! Ouch I'll let you all know if I get sorted. Thanks again

We had the same problem, there is a simple solution.

Change your home insurance to M&S providing you opt for personal items covered away from home (adds about £10 to the policy) they will cover you for unspecified items up to £4000 including bikes worldwide.

Another tip when the renewal comes up if will be between £50-£100 more you just take out a new policy on line & cancel the renewal, when I phoned them to complain about the renewal price that's what they told me to do. Renewal £354 new policy £234. (lol)

lennyhb - 2011-07-21 8:51 PM We had the same problem, there is a simple solution.

Change your home insurance to M&S providing you opt for personal items covered away from home (adds about £10 to the policy) they will cover you for unspecified items up to £4000 including bikes worldwide...............................

I think this may be the best option, and it is not only M&S who will cover bikes under home insurance policies.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-21 10:53 PM

I think this may be the best option, and it is not only M&S who will cover bikes under home insurance policies.

Check any policy carefully most charge a high additional premium & will not always cover outside of the UK. We were with Saga they wanted an additional £100 for £1500 worth of cover and limited to the UK. As far as I'm aware M&S is the only one that will give cover on unspecified items up to £4000 value with worldwide cover ideal if you have decent bikes costing 2-3 grand each.

Our cycles are covered WORLWIDE, providing they are secured "by a padlock and chain or similar anti-theft device" through our PRUDENTIAL Home Insurance Policy. Obviously we had to inform the company and tell them the value of the bikes.

Whenever we have had to deal with The Pru regarding claims on the house or possessions outside they have provided excellent service.

Guest JudgeMental

went through this a few weeks ago.....

buy a ALMAX motorbike lock and chain and secure through bikes and around towbar frame...

change your insurance, we have just changed to UIA who have insured our 2 new e bikes (£2000 each) we where forced to change as last insure would not cover over £1500.

we are down in Croatia at the moment and use a quality D lock and chain and padlock to lock bikes together frame?and 2 thick kryptonite cables around both bikes and padlocked to rear tow bracket under bumper...

if not e bikes M&S are probably the best value

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2011-07-23 6:36 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-07-23 10:37 AM .....................we are down in Croatia at the moment ...............

How's the land of the Croats Eddie, still stony? :-D

we are in Baska, on southern tip of island of Krk. wonderful small town with 2 km sand and shingle beach...water beautiful and clear and a constant breeze from the mountains to the west. it is so nice we have abandoned the island hopping idea and staying here longer, util we pick the kids up at pula airport thursday. then visiting the Istria peninsular west coast...

if you want to chat Brian, email me and I can correspond on my blackberry....a lot easier then getting wifi! :-D

we have gone under offer on the house which is a very difficult situation when on holiday :-S

back on topic! get a cover for the bikes! out of sight ..out of mind..and all that :-D

Archived