Deleted thread

nightrider

knight of the road - 2011-07-22 3:35 PM

Now a certain thread has been deleted can the forum police tell us what subject can be posted? and will the thread be classed as banal and the writer accused of being an imbecile.

The thread was not deleted because of the subject, it was deleted because it became a ' slanging match' between certain people.

(That is my understanding and I'm not even one of the forum police - I just read what the moderator said).

;-)

malc d - 2011-07-22 4:18 PM

knight of the road - 2011-07-22 3:35 PM

Now a certain thread has been deleted can the forum police tell us what subject can be posted? and will the thread be classed as banal and the writer accused of being an imbecile.

The thread was not deleted because of the subject, it was deleted because it became a ' slanging match' between certain people.

A certain person should not have insulted other people because they did not agree to that persons way of thinking, the person I am referring to is a control freak.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-22 4:54 PM

Does it never occur to anyone here that calling others names is how the slanging matches start? Huh?

Well said Brian.

It amazes me how some can expect to call people names and the recipient NOT be offended.

One of the pleasures in debating with you Brian - is that despite our differences of opinion (And there have been a few!!! (lol) (lol) ) - not once have you or I resorted to name calling.

Sadly - some on here resort to such tactics as "normal".

Went to a country pub years ago with my parents. Not many folk in, but Mum, who was a farmer's daughter, was soon chatting. After an enjoyable hour or so we stood to leave, and one of the locals said, with a twinkle, "We'll let you get down the road a spell, before we start talking about you". :-)

Some on here could borrow from that ethic, others again might just pause to wonder what is actually said about them - after one's browser is closed! :D

pelmetman - 2011-07-26 2:19 PM

Your'e all trouble makers:D..............Where as....... I am as pure as the driven snow(lol)

Tut Tut David, (or Sue) apostrophe in the wrong place again. *-)

p.s. I'm in training to become a member of the grammar police, so watch it. :D >:-)

Ha Ha I'm a GPSO

donna miller - 2011-07-26 3:09 PM

Just a thought on what Brian said, are two (or more) people who converse in private and make 'unsavoury' comments about a third (or fourth) party any better than someone who says it to all and sundry.

I think not.

You're not wrong Donna, but could venting anger/frustration etc in private, help stop so many threads degenerating ?

Guest pelmetman
donna miller - 2011-07-26 3:13 PM Tut Tut David, apostrophe in the wrong place again. *-)

I blame my edjermercation:D....................I usually get Sue to check my spelling as she used to be a PA to a very pedantic man when it came to grammar.............poor sod.......he probably suffered from a good education(lol)    

.I usually get Sue to check my spelling as she used to be a PA to a very pedantic man when it came to grammar.............poor sod.....

Dead right Dave, the one thing I can't stand is a pendent. :-D.

Too many of them hanging around on here.

pkc - 2011-07-27 9:01 AM

.I usually get Sue to check my spelling as she used to be a PA to a very pedantic man when it came to grammar.............poor sod.....

Dead right Dave, the one thing I can't stand is a pendent. :-D.

Too many of them hanging around on here.

Not forgetting of course, those who can't distinguish between a humourous post and a pedantic one. *-)

Blizzard - 2011-07-26 7:18 PM

Just a thought on what Brian said, are two (or more) people who converse in private and make 'unsavoury' comments about a third (or fourth) party any better than someone who says it to all and sundry.

I think not.

You're not wrong Donna, but could venting anger/frustration etc in private, help stop so many threads degenerating ?

I agree with you there Ken,

On a biker forum I frequent, there is a section for heated threads, the mods will move a thread if they they believe it is getting outside of 'normal conversation, banter or behaviour' and you then need a password to continue to post there, a password is issued by the mods to those that request to use it, and each thread has a different one, that way they can stop all un-necessary intervention by on-lookers, which I believe only exasperates the situation.

There is nothing worse than being in a 'disagreement' with someone than having 'supporters' from each camp interjecting, that also applies however, to the 'do-gooders' who make transparent statements proclaiming neutrality and yet by the very nature of their intervention, show that they have an opinion on the subject or the person(s) already involved.

They also fail to understand that this often infuriates the situation at hand as it puts one or more of the people even more on the defensive, and as any expert on warfare or psychology will tell you, the more people who attack you , the more viciously you will defend yourself, this inevitable leads to insults that you would not normally resort to, thus everything gets out of hand even further. The 'do-gooder' will then receive the wrath of the arguees and one by one others get involved, this then gives the 'do-gooders' sympathy from others , who again say their piece.....................and so on and so forth.

This forum and all the others like it are not the real world, different rules apply but so many forget this, in the real world trouble makers would be excluded from your own social group, those you dislike would not be made welcome in your discussions down the pub, but on here, unless a person is banned by a moderator, then they are free to participate, whether others like, or accept it or not.

Look at your own social group, is the guy (or gal) who constantly sits on the fence on issues and portrays himself as 'Mr/Mrs ne'er do or say any wrong', who keeps a mental log of everything you've ever said or done that he/she considers wrong, and delights in bringing it up, held in any higher esteem than the one who disagrees with you, has it out then forgets about the whole thing and it's never mentioned again.

They certainly are not in my world, and I suspect that this is true for many others on here.

In reality, just because I drive and use a motorhome, I'm worlds apart from the vast majority of members of this virtual community, and I try (not always sucessfully) to remember that when conversing/disagreeing with other posters.

And that is something everyone should take a moment to realise when they interact with other people in cyberland.

Thoughtful stuff Donna, I wish that I could have expressed it half as well.

I will watch my spelling, grammar and syntax now that I know that you are a GPSO! *-)

I always wondered what the 'Belly Locker' was about/for on another motorhome forum; now I know that it is probably similar to the one that you describe on the biker's forum that you frequent!

Thanks for your eloquent contribution,

Cheers,

Colin.

I'm missing in action.

I think not.

I agree with that. However, going off muttering, and then calming down, can result in one realising that what at first annoyed, may not have been intended to do so, and may just be the result of clumsy expression, bad spelling, or wrong use of words.

The danger, IMO, is in replying when feeling exasperated, when one is liable to be far too trenchant for harmony! But you wouldn't understand this, it's a boy thing! It's when the fights always start! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-27 2:13 PM

..it's a boy thing! It's when the fights always start! :-D

Well..perhaps "cyber-squabbles" would be a more apt term... ;-)

...as I doubt very much whether most of the "exchanges" that take place on here,would occur if the participants were standing in front of each other.... (lol)

pepe63 - 2011-07-27 4:09 PM

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-27 2:13 PM

..it's a boy thing! It's when the fights always start! :-D

Well..perhaps "cyber-squabbles" would be a more apt term... ;-)

...as I doubt very much whether most of the "exchanges" that take place on here,would occur if the participants were standing in front of each other.... (lol)

Well, you obviously didn't go to a boys only school! And it was long before cyber-babble was invented! :D

Guest Tracker

Never fails to amaze me how quiet, nay boring even at times, it goes on 'ere whenever the mods have intervened and how some members seem to get the huff and disappear for a while - do they feel guilty I wonder - so enjoy the peace and quiet whilst ye may folks!

I don't know what was said that was so dreadful on the unmentionable thread but for myself I will try and tackle the obstroperous ones differently in future - unless you all prefer to see the occasional ding dongs?

I must admit that I do so enjoy them 'cos not only does they makes I excerise my chuckle muscles and larf, but my winding up skills gets an airing too!

Archived