thetford cassette toilet

sjh1341

As a real novice it is stupid question time. I have a autocruise with the above toilet fitted. It is the swivel bowl type and has a back to it which I guess houses the water flush system. On the outside there is a small hatch door through which I can see a green water pipe and some cables. Is this where I pour the water and flush fluid to fill the flush tank? The waste bit I get and understand. Any idea how much water it takes? Told you it was a silly question :-D

Hi Steve

Welcome aboard - no question is silly if you don't know the answer.

It depends on the model of cassette toilet - some are run off the water tank and some have there own tank.

Tell us model and year of your autocruise + if you know thetford model add that info - someone will have the same model and be able to tell you.

Peter

I've seen the specs for toilet with it's own tank but never seen a van with one fitted, all I've seen take water from main tank, I'm guessing that unless you have two water filling points then yours takes it from main tank so you will not be able to use any flushing liquid.

colin - 2011-07-22 8:22 PM

I've seen the specs for toilet with it's own tank but never seen a van with one fitted, all I've seen take water from main tank, I'm guessing that unless you have two water filling points then yours takes it from main tank so you will not be able to use any flushing liquid.

I think they are probably more common than you think! We certainly have one on our 2008 Auto-Sleepers Symbol ES.

mel wood - 2011-07-22 8:32 PM

I think they are probably more common than you think! We certainly have one on our 2008 Auto-Sleepers Symbol ES.

Well do you have a sepperate filling point? or any other 'pointers' for OP

Up to my current van all my m/homes have had a seperate tank however in these the filler is obvious - it is usually on an arm that swings out with a filler cap on top.

I think this one sounds as if it fills from main tank \BUT more info is needed.

when it fills from main tank you cannot add flushing liquid.

Peter

The "Tube" in the Outside cassette compartment is a `sight glass` showing how much cleaning/flush fluid remains..the filler cap for this fluid is just above the removable cassette tube..it should swing outwards..and a mixture of Thetford fluid/water is poured in to this to refill..keep your eye on the sight glass.

The pouring in seems not to make much difference until the `filler nozzle` is just about overflowing..then it starts.to fill up..[and the glass slowly rises]

Hope this helps..and makes sense.[.I don't usually make sense at this stage of the night/whisk y bottle]

Good luck with the refil??

cheetahdavie - 2011-07-22 11:22 PM

The "Tube" in the Outside cassette compartment is a `sight glass` showing how much cleaning/flush fluid remains..the filler cap for this fluid is just above the removable cassette tube..it should swing outwards..and a mixture of Thetford fluid/water is poured in to this to refill..keep your eye on the sight glass.

The pouring in seems not to make much difference until the `filler nozzle` is just about overflowing..then it starts.to fill up..[and the glass slowly rises]

Hope this helps..and makes sense.[.I don't usually make sense at this stage of the night/whisk y bottle]

Good luck with the refil??

I believe you are referring to the water-filling arrangement for a Thetford bench-model toilet with an external filling-point.

In sjh1341's case, the toilet in question is a swivel-bowl model. I presume that sjh1341's statement "On the outside there is a small hatch door" means that the hatch door is on the outside of the motorhome and (assuming that's so) then the toilet will be either a C-200CW or (more probably) a C-200CWE. In both instances Thetford's filling instructions are:

"Open the water-fill door and fill the flush tank with the stated amount of Thetford Aqua Rinse. This keeps the flush water fresh and improves the flushing. Next, fill the flush water tank with clean water using a jerry can or hose."

It's possible to download the appropriate Instruction Manual via the advice flicka gave above. The Manual's 2nd page shows a drawing of the external water-filler point with a hose inserted and it would appear (as there are no instructions to say otherwise) that you just put in water until it starts to come back out through the filler-hole.

For what it's worth, a C-200CWE (Electric flush) has a flush-water tank capacity of 8.3 litres, whereas the C-200CW (Manual flush) has a flush-water tank capacity of 7.0 litres.

colin - 2011-07-22 8:50 PM

mel wood - 2011-07-22 8:32 PM

Well do you have a sepperate filling point? or any other 'pointers' for OP

Yes we have a SEPARATE filling tank. (I was responding to the first sentence of your post.)

I cannot help the original poster as I do not know which model of toilet he has. (I'm sorry if this is frustrating.)

If it is a vertical water pipe with a blue fitting on top and some wiring, both situated at the left side looking in through the door, that is the inlet for the toilet which takes water from the main water tank and is electrically operated. You cannot use an additive in the flushing water, which is no bad thing as it tends to encourage black specks of mildew in the flush.

On my Autosleeper I have a seperate tank and it is filled from outside the motorhome after unlocking the security flap.

By the way only I am allowed to "" Do the Thetford Stroll"" in the morning usually while my better half (her description) has her 2nd cup of tea.

mike

Guest pelmetman
JamesFrance - 2011-07-23 3:34 PMIf it is a vertical water pipe with a blue fitting on top and some wiring, both situated at the left side looking in through the door, that is the inlet for the toilet which takes water from the main water tank and is electrically operated. You cannot use an additive in the flushing water, which is no bad thing as it tends to encourage black specks of mildew in the flush.

The black specks of mildew only became a problem when Thetford changed the spec of their stuff, we now use washing up liquid in the flush tank;-).............which for the want of a better description does prevent klingons:D.........and dishwasher tabs in the cassette....We find finish are the best for us(lol) 

sjh1341 - 2011-07-23 10:14 PM

Thanks all - Thetford C200W thingy 8L fill tank from outside will try tomorrow, flush works so must be water already in there from previous owner, luckily they didnt leave any gifts in the waste section :->

I believe you have a 6-berth Autocruise Sarasota. This suggests that you might normally be carrying quite a few people which, in turn, suggests you might need to empty your vehicle's toilet-cassette quite often!!!!

Thetford currently markets a "Fresh-Up" kit for C-200 swivel-bowl toilets that comprises a new toilet-cassette, a new toilet-seat and some cleaning products. The price is around £80, which is a real bragain considering what the RRP of the cassette alone used to be. The following link to a potential supplier gives more details, but motorhome/caravan dealers may well have the kit in stock.

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/thetford-c200-fresh-up-kit

So, if you wanted to double the toilet-cassette emptying interval and/or wanted a new no-previous-bums-on-it seat, the "Fresh-Up" kit might be worth considering.

My advice - for what it's worth - would be to forget about using any sort of freshener/cleaner in your motorhome's toilet flush tank and (if you feel a need to have pretty-coloured water in the toilet-bowl) spray a freshener/cleaner solution directly into the bowl via a trigger-head sprayer.

Archived