from red to blue

fairweather camper

fairweather camper - 2011-07-23 5:43 PM

Can anyone tell me please, is it possible to change the Gas bottle from Red Propane, to Blue, and if so, do you just change the regulator, or do you have to adjust any appliances in the Kitchen, we have a Gas Heater, and Gas Hobs. Thanking you in advance. :-D :$ 8-)

Before you do ANYTHING ... tell us what camper you have, it's year etc, that way we can see what you've got properly rather than speculating and advise whether or not your installed equipment is okay with changing over, although I suspect as you're looking to go 'down in pressure' from a safety point of view it shouldn't be an issue, I'm more concerned about 'tony+kay' who have gone the other way and increased pressure!!! 8-)

This makes interesting reading:

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/faqgas.htm

What you may find is that some of your kit doesn't work quite as well as it did on the original propane, also another consideration is if you are gong to use your camper over winter, changing to butane could prove a problem as it doens't work at low temperatures ... but judging by your name that won't be an issue either! :D

fairweather camper - 2011-07-23 5:43 PM

Can anyone tell me please, is it possible to change the Gas bottle from Red Propane, to Blue, and if so, do you just change the regulator, or do you have to adjust any appliances in the Kitchen, we have a Gas Heater, and Gas Hobs. Thanking you in advance. :-D :$ 8-)

If your motorhome has a gas-regulator attached directly to the gas-bottle and you wish to change from using propane to using butane (or vice versa), then the regulator will need to be swapped to match the gas (37mbar regulator for propane or 28mbar regulator for butane).

If your motorhome has a 'bulkhead-mounted' 30mbar gas-regulator separate from the gas-bottle and connected to the bottle via a flexible gas-hose (often referred to as a "pigtail") and you wish to change from using propane to using butane (or vice versa), then you should only need to replace the pigtail (or add an adapter to it) to match the output-connection on the replacement gas-bottle.

The above advice is a general rule-of-thumb. Even in the UK not all propane gas-bottles are red, nor are all butane gas-bottles blue, and there is even more gas-bottle colour variation abroad. Although rare, 'on-bottle' gas-regulators can be 30mbar and thus OK for either gas. And then there are older motorhomes using 50mbar gas-regulation...

You'll need to forgive me for saying this, Valerie, but I believe you'd benefit immeasurably from a motorhome-related book (John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" would be an excellent choice) that would provide you with a basic, easily understood, 'technical' background.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Using-Maintaining/dp/1844250474

Liquified petroleum gas (LPG), propane or butane, is potentally lethal and just "giving it a go" on a by-guess-and-by-God basis can have disastrous consequences. That "The Motorcaravan Manual" has a complete 15-page chapter devoted to a motorhome's gas systems and appliances should indicate that this is a subject that cannot be covered in just a few words.

Thank you all for your reply's, sorry about the flippant reply about giving it a go, i would not dream of doing anything without proper advice. We have decided to have a refillable bottle installed, as the only reason we were going to change was it is not as easy to get propane where we live as it is butane, but if we get a refillable bottle this will solve the problem, also make it easier when we go abroad.

Have been motorhoming for 20 yrs, just wasn't sure about gas regulators.

Once again thank you for taking the trouble to reply. :-D ;-)

Archived