German Beer fests

ciderdaze

Hi - I too am going for the first time this year - We are on a banger rally that ends in Munich on 18th September, so are camping. (One day I'll grow up?!)

I found the following site which lists all the campgrounds

http://www.munich-info.de/travel/camping_en.html

You may have problems booking in advance - Thalkirchen, & Obermenzing cannot be booked?

Good luck

although the oktober fest is the most well known, it is probably the most expensive, most difficult to book or get accommodation for, and it is full of tourists,.most towns and villages have their own wine/beer fests , from very small to nearly as big as the munich fest. these are mostly attended by locals/germans, often free and definately cheaper and more relaxing than the big one. austria also has its fair share. the salzburg fest is free and not expensive for your large beer and half a pig! stuttgart also has a famous fest, with a campsite just outside the fest area, on the river bank. a google search will throw up many sites listing these, and many other, european fests. might be worth a look? for me the salzburg fest 2010 was far more fun, cheaper and more relaxing than the full on oktoberfest i attended, although that was in 1973 so my personal knowledge could be said to be suspect!!!

jit is possible to do a tour and get to numerous fest in a short time span!!!

Agree with Keith R

We tour Germany at least once a year.We are going later than we normally do. Going out late August and returning late Sept.

This year we are trying Bamburg for a few days.Why?, because there are some 80 small breweries in this city,- that's why!, we won't be trying them all, but the city is also full of history as well.

And also won't be as busy at this time of year, as most people will be back after the usual summer holiday period.

The October fest is very busy & expensive, due to it's worldwide reputation, we prefer the quieter regions as you will always stumble upon a festival of some kind in either the wine growing regions or the beer regions. A lot of monasteries are also famous for their beers.

Hope this gives you another idea.

We visited Munich in June and stayed at Waldcamping Munchen-Obermenzing page 327 of the Caravan Europe2 book. very handily placed as its at the end of the motorway and so there was some road noise but not too much. Reception was friendly and helpful. We paid E22 for the two of us for 3 days travel. The bus stops every 20 mins out side the site and then after 3 stops you can get the train into Munich about 30 mins travel at most. There were signs all over the site stating the price goes up by at least E3 a night pp for the oktoberfest. The site was a bit tired bit over all it was ok.

Hope theis helps

Oh by the way we visited the Hofbrauhaus and paid E3 a pint it was cheaper elsewhere. We thought Germany was very reasonable price wise compared to France, Spain etc

Rog

Thai Bry - 2011-07-24 11:13 AMAgree with Keith R

We tour Germany at least once a year.We are going later than we normally do. Going out late August and returning late Sept.

This year we are trying Bamburg for a few days.Why?, because there are some 80 small breweries in this city,- that's why!, we won't be trying them all, but the city is also full of history as well.

And also won't be as busy at this time of year, as most people will be back after the usual summer holiday period.

The October fest is very busy & expensive, due to it's worldwide reputation, we prefer the quieter regions as you will always stumble upon a festival of some kind in either the wine growing regions or the beer regions. A lot of monasteries are also famous for their beers.

Hope this gives you another idea.

Just a small correction... Bamberg has 9 breweries.  But, as you say, what a wonderful city!  It escaped the bombings in WW2 and is now a World Heritage listed city.  I've visited several times with friends, and one of the great experiences is to stay in one of the breweries, either Faessla, or over the road in Spezial. 

One of the famous beers made in Bamberg is the "rauchbier", a smokey flavoured beer that smells a little of bacon!  You have to try it, and you'll either love it or hate it.  It's famously made by Schlenkerla.  And if you go during the bock beer season, around and after oktoberfest time, then try the Faessla "Bambergator".  8.5% of absolutel loveliness!!!!

Thai Bry, you'll love it!!!!!!

Archived