what car

misty lane

We tow a smart car that has a tiptronic or a fully automatic gearbox. The amount you wish to spend means it will have to be quite an oldish one, so if you go down this route, check out how much you pay for road tax. Mine is on an 11 plate so I pay £30 per year - old ones tend to be £120 per year.

We use a trailer though, not an A Frame, but we have friends that do.

Good luck.

Traditional 'slush' box (torque convertor) are usualy a no go for towing any distance as they require the input from engine to pump oil around box. Most robotised manual box cars should be ok, but not all, so check first.

bolero boy - 2011-07-24 6:41 PM

Don't you have to be careful with automatics regarding towing? I assume the trailer thing is OK but on an A-frame........an expert on here should help with that one.

So long as you make sure its in Neutral and your handbrake is Off, you are OK with a Smart. Cannot speak for other automatic cars, but I guess they would be similar.

tugga - 2011-07-24 8:06 PM

bolero boy - 2011-07-24 6:41 PM

Don't you have to be careful with automatics regarding towing? I assume the trailer thing is OK but on an A-frame........an expert on here should help with that one.

Cannot speak for other automatic cars, but I guess they would be similar.

See my post above, I have two cars which should not be A framed, one would proboly end up with a knackered autobox the other with a knackered transferbox.

Archived