Motorhome awards

WildBill

I see that the CC have done their annual awards and two of the judges were from MMM. How is it then that the MMM gave the Burstner Ixeo Time it 585 the number 1 spot but according to CC no foreign manufacturers got a look in except in the A class models. If I was thinking of buying new, what awards should I take notice of.

None! They are just a kind of beauty contest. The only way to buy a new van is to do your own research, based on what you want of the van, and on where you intend using it. Then, hire one before you order, to see if you think your selection is about right. Be prepared to re-think. Even after all this, you may still find you haven't got the choice quite right. You won't be alone! :-) It is difficult to hit the right balance, all vans represent a series of compromises.

Pay special attention to payload: the load allowance for yourselves and all your clutter. You will be surprised how your needs add up. Remember that anything you add to the van, or any options you select, will add to the unladen weight of the vehicle, and so will reduce the claimed payload. For two people look for 400kg. More, and you should be fine. Much less, and you should consider a chassis upgrade to increase the allowance. If that would push the maximum weight of the vehicle above 3,500kg, check whether your driving licence will allow you to drive it. If you have retained this right because you passed your driving test before 1 January 1997, remember that you will have to pass a medical examination if you want to retain it past your 70th birthday.

While researching, place quality, customer service, and durability issues as your highest priorities in selecting makes of vans to consider. Look for customer service issues, and proximity to where you live, in evaluating dealers. Always remember it is the dealer who sells you the van who is first and foremost responsible for anything that goes wrong with it. A good manufacturer's warranty is an excellent second string to your bow, but it is the dealer who is legally responsible.

Archived