Headlamp beam deflectors

griffo5

I'll be heading into Europe in September so will have to fit some beam deflectors. However I'm a bit worried about the adhesive damaging the plastic lenses on my Autotrail (Fiat 06) motorhome. Am I worrying needlessly or is there something specific I should look for when buying ?

Any pointers much appreciated.

If you fit properly designed deflectors (like the Eurolites product) then you are worrying needlessly about adhesive damage.

It was once suggested (many years ago in MMM magazine) that the adhesive of 'masks' (not translucent deflectors) MIGHT have been the cause of the localised crazing sometimes reported when plastic headlights were masked for use abroad. This speculation has developed into an urban myth - as far as I'm aware there was never any evidence to support the suggestion in the first place, it was just a "Perhaps it's the adhesive backing of the masks that's the cause of the crazing" idea.

If you are worried about your headlights why not get some headlight protectors, and stick the beam benders onto those.

If you use the forum search facility and type in the word " protectors" you will find a lot of previous discussion on this subject.

(Last year protectors could be bought for around £35)

Eurolites are fine but can be difficult to remove if left on for a considerable time, best not the leave them on for more than a few months.

Masking is considered bad practice as it reflects the heat back and there is a slight risk of damage to the plastic, it is a very slight risk but with headlamp units at a £150 a go not worth the risk.

mirage - 2011-07-25 9:07 PM

Waste of money don`t bother

...... Unless you are checked over by the gendarmerie/polis/polizei .... Then perhaps you wished that you had. I have had the fitting of beam deflectors checked by German police on routine check, together with the other bits including spare lamps and triangle. It is always a good idea to check the laws of whatever country you're in and perhaps comply with them.

Hi,

I have a Fiat Bessacarr 66 2011 and was informed at the NEC on the Fiat stand that deflectors were not

required due to the factory setting of the headlights.

Being bubious I contacted Fiat technical a short time later[when we had actually taken delivery of the vehicle ] and they confirmed that no deflectors were needed whilst abroad.

cheers

derek

I suppose that's possible, but only if the headlights dip straight downbwards, not off to the left.

You can check that for yourself by pointing them at a wall or garage door.

If the dipped beam pattern includes a high bit at the left, then they're spinning you a yarn.

)I suppose that's possible, but only if the headlights dip straight downbwards, not off to the left.

You can check that for yourself by pointing them at a wall or garage door.

If the dipped beam pattern includes a high bit at the left, then they're spinning you a yarn.

(WELL, YOU DO HAVE TWO HEADLIGHTS, DON'T YOU? :D :D

Some members have suggested that you do not need beam deflectors on the Fiat as Fiat have said at the NEC that deflectors are not needed.

So, I presume that if you are stopped by French/German etc police without deflectors and they do not believe you when you tell them what Fiat said, then Fiat will recompense you to the value of the fine.

I have travelled europe for 40 years and have only been checked once in Germany 5 years ago. we had deflectors fitted so were ok.

There was one occasion in Cite Europe (Calais) where the police were checking re deflectors, spare bulbs etc on UK vehicles and despite protest that "I am only here to shop then straight back to the ferry in daylight" Lots of people got multiple fines.

NOT worth the risk even though it is small. Still it is up to you

Happy and safe travels - Mike

Mike, I was beginning to think that is was only me had been stopped for this sort of check. Have also been checked over for everything by Dutch police getting off the Stena ferry - they breathylsed everyone as well. Hope the also checked the drunken Dutch/Estonian/Polish/whatever truckers as well...........

thats right Tony, the dip is set in the perpendicular. Just thought that people assume they will need deflectors and it is worth checking out first.

cheers

derek

I do not know about paying a fine,doubt it, but equally could not identify any positioning marks for deflectors so would assume wrongly fitted ones would be frowned upon.

derek

mirage - 2011-07-26 8:29 PM

Still a waste of money.

So would you be willing to pay any fines incurred by forum members following your advice ??? And no I am not being bitchy, just practical to see how confident you are that your rules apply.

As far as the fitting position the beam benders supplied with a comprehensive list of fitting positions, so many vehicle manufacturers and models that there are vehicles that I have never heard of. You could always visit Halfords and get an assistent to open up a pack to show you how they are fitted - it is then up to you whether you buy or just walk away and make up your own with tape.

Just for the record I have lens protectors to which I have stuck the beam benders I bought from Halfords, Ditto my 2 motorhome owning friends.

Mike

We have been travelling to & through France for over 30 years never bothered with beam deflectors until about 3 years ago (even though I sell them), started using them after hearing about people getting pulled by the Gendarme.

My understanding is if only temporarily visiting a country the requirement is to have your headlights set so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers, so you could just lower the beams.

As my use of the French language is very limited & knowledge of French law even less it's much easier to fit the deflectors than try arguing with a Gendarme.

As for the comments that the X250 does not need beam deflectors I can see this being the case with LHD vans as LHD vehicles normally have straight dip beam but RHD UK vehicles have an asymmetrical beam pattern defecting the beam to the left so deflectors would still be required on UK spec. RHD vans.

Does the X250 driver's handbook not state if deflectors are needed?

The current (MK7) Ford Transit does need deflectors, no doubt about it at all,see:

http://www.shooting.fsbusiness.co.uk/ for full details.

Every time we have crossed the channel from Dover there has been a sign at the check-in stating that headlamp adjustment is mandatory (most recent crossing to France was May and it was there then).

Can't help feeling that some people are missing the point here.

It is not a case of whether or not you are able to 'get away' with not having headlight beam deflectors fitted but what damage could you cause if you do not have them fitted?

This argument is akin to that of people who feel it is absolutely safe to pick up a ringing mobile phone whilst driving and having a conversation. True, the majority of people who do so may not be stopped by the police but unfortunately, for those that are caught and prosecuted it is more usually because they have caused a serious, often fatal, accident.

The plain fact is that the law is there for a reason. In the case of headlight deflectors it is to reduce the possibility that you will cause an accident by unintentionally blinding someone whilst driving on the continent. You may argue that you will not be using the vehicle at night but a) you cannot guarantee that and anything could happen to necessitate you having to drive at night and b) the law doesn't stipulate that it is alright to drive without them during the day - frankly, taking advice from a Fiat respresentative on the legality of headlight beam deflectors on their vehicles is like taking advice from a Vodafone representative that, due to improved technology, you are able to use their mobiles whilst driving!

Please just be sensible. Having spent anywhere between £15k and £120k on a motorhome and then maybe £1500 on ferries, fuel and campsites to tour the continent is £6 for a set of eurolites such a high price?

David

My previous van (2.8JTD) I tried using dipped headlights in a tunnel it was met with an irritated flashing of headlights from other direction, not a problem as simply went onto fog lights for that single event and fitted deflectors thereafter.

The current X250 has been through a lot of major European Tunnels on dipped headlights and I have yet to be flashed.

I rest my case - waste of money.

griffo5 - 2011-07-25 9:39 AM

I'll be heading into Europe in September so will have to fit some beam deflectors. However I'm a bit worried about the adhesive damaging the plastic lenses on my Autotrail (Fiat 06) motorhome. Am I worrying needlessly or is there something specific I should look for when buying ?

Any pointers much appreciated.

mirage - 2011-07-27 9:13 PM

My previous van (2.8JTD) I tried using dipped headlights in a tunnel it was met with an irritated flashing of headlights from other direction, not a problem as simply went onto fog lights for that single event and fitted deflectors thereafter.

The current X250 has been through a lot of major European Tunnels on dipped headlights and I have yet to be flashed.

You will note age of van in OP. Are you also assuming people don't drive their vans at night time?

mirage - 2011-07-27 9:13 PM

Your choice - your fine to pay. I don't actually think that not being flashed in a tunnel is really a good indication.

If beam deflectors are necessary, then based on previous experience I will always use them and thus far have twice avoided being fined, so I'm ahead of the game. I have left the beam deflectors on my last car and the car before for a considerable time when working on the continent and peeled them off, with a little bit of alcohol on a cloth to remove the residue with no ill effects

Good to see the OP has had sensible answers. I use the good old duct tape and then some turps to clean off glue when removed.

The deflectors are also required when the headlights are used at any time, including inclement weather and not just in the dark.

As far as Mirage's contribution, this is just flippant and posted to stir up trouble. He will tell us he finds it easy to drive with bald tyres so why should he bother with those with tread.

lennyhb - 2011-07-27 11:26 AM

...As for the comments that the X250 does not need beam deflectors I can see this being the case with LHD vans as LHD vehicles normally have straight dip beam but RHD UK vehicles have an asymmetrical beam pattern defecting the beam to the left so deflectors would still be required on UK spec. RHD vans.

I'm interested in your generalisation regarding LHD vehicles. As far as I'm aware the headlamp dipped-beam pattern of LHD vehicles will be a 'mirror image' of the pattern of RHD equivalents. Certainly RHD Transit headlamps have an asymmetric left-dipping pattern, while LHD Transits have an asymmetric right-dipping pattern.

As it's common sense to have an asymmetric headlamp dipped-beam pattern to minimise dazzle for oncoming vehicles, it would be an odd situation for LHD vehicles patterns to be conceptually different from RHD patterns.

Hi David,

Having just bought a 2011 Bessacarr 660 and previously a 2010 Bessacarr 630 I dont think anybody should say I am trying to save a few quid,do you.

On the contrary my information came about whilst trying to source hopefully some really well made deflectors dedicated if possible to the model,regardless of cost. I would definitely not spend a fair amount of money on a M/H and then put bits of sticky back plastic on it. I thought Fiat would be the place to get the proper jobby but as I said I was told they were not required, however, being dubious I contacted the Technical Dept. and they confirmed the position.

The one thing about this forum is it always gets you thinking and putting doubt in your mind,makes you wonder exactly where you need to go to establish the need and type,as obviously ill fitted deflectors could be as dangerous or more than no deflectors.

cheers

derek

Archived