Weight of Burstner

Suda

The plate on the cab door says 3850kg and the habitation plate says 3500kg. Which do I use to work out the payload and can anyone please tell me approximately what it might be for a Burstner Delfint700 Performance before I load up?

It looks as though the original (presumably Fiat) chassis is rated at 3,850kg, but Burstner have downrated the converted van to 3,500kg. If this is correct, it is the Burstner plate that defines the legal MAM. If you have the appropriate category on your driving licence, you can relatively easily reinstate the original chassis limit. It would probably be wise to obtain a revising plate via Burstner, since their plate also shows their build number. Regarding payload, the only accurate way to establish this will be to take the van to a weighbridge and weigh it, and deduct the weighbridge value from the plated MAM (3,500).

Suda:

All the UK on-line adverts for this model appear to quote 3850kg as the MAM. I don't think you've ever provided your motorhome's year of manufacture, but "Which Motorcaravan" magazine quoted 3500kg MAM in its 2005 Buyers' Guide listing and 3850kg MAM for 2006 and 2007 listings. For the 3850kg version "Which Motorcaravan" (in 2007) quoted a payload of 650kg.

The Delfin T700 is quite large (well over 7m long) and I'd guess that it would need a 3850kg MAM to obtain a realistic payload capacity. I believe the model is built on an AL-KO chassis, which could mean that it has data-plates from Renault, AL-KO and Burstner.

What DVLA VED taxation class is your Delfin in? if it is registered as Private/Light Goods (PLG), this would indicate that it is currently considered (for registration purposes) to have a MAM of up to 3500kg. If it is registered as Private HGV, this would indicate that it is currently considered (for registration purposes) to have a MAM over 3500kg. The VED taxation class can be found on the vehicle's V5C Registration Certificate.

Thankyou so much,your comments have been very helpful. She is on a Renault 2500 engine with Al Ko chassis and was registered in 2008. The reg docs state Private HGV.Suddenly that sounds very scary as I am a 5 foot lady pensioner who ought to be sat behind the wheel eating a Yorkie Bar!!

Suda - 2011-07-26 6:24 PM

Thankyou so much,your comments have been very helpful. She is on a Renault 2500 engine with Al Ko chassis and was registered in 2008. The reg docs state Private HGV.Suddenly that sounds very scary as I am a 5 foot lady pensioner who ought to be sat behind the wheel eating a Yorkie Bar!!

If it has been registered as PHGV, it has been recorded by DVLA as having a MAM exceeding 3,500kg. Have you checked your driving licence categories for C1 and C1E? If you passed your test before Jan 1 1997 you will probably have them, but remember you will need to pass a medical at 70 to retain them. If you don't have them, you can't legally drive the van, and your insurance will probably be invalid.

However, in view of the 3,500kg plate you found, it looks as though someone has obtained a downrated plate for the vehicle, but not had the V5C altered to match. Be careful. The police or VOSA will take the lower value as being operative if you are checked for overload. You need to get to the bottom of this, as the legal status of your van seems at least questionable. Sorry!

Archived