Date format in postings

empress

Having been invited to send a "private message" to the moderator, we sent the following, but are not sure if it went off. Perhaps someone amongst ourselves knows if we can change to the British date form. "We note that the dates for postings are now given in the American format, i.e. year, month and then day. Always having been used to the normal format used in the U.K., we are wondering if we can change this to day, month and year. It is just that bit easier on the eye!" Empress

Year/Month/Day is the traditional 'computer' date-format as it can be treated as a single continuous numeric string that much simplifies sorting records. As an ex-IT guy I tend to think in this format date-wise, but I'm not too bovvered really. It was the USA tendency to use Month/Day/Year that used to throw me.

I must admit I get annoyed at the amount of dates that are now being given in the American form, ie month, day, year. The news programmes often do this now and many publications also. It is very confusing for those of us who work with dates all the time in the English format (I do room bookings and we work in the day/month/year format) to then be given an American version and wonder why there's suddenly a 13th month! (13 Mar 06 becomes 0313406!). However, I can see the sense in the current posting listing for the reasons given but it does still confuse the issue even more!!! Now how about going back to the old version of numbering, MMVI for example! I used to be good at that.

Archived