Help buying elusive new van

andy mccord

Opinions please,

Im trying to buy a particular Adria van, a coral 690SC, I just missed one local to me recently, So I asked the dealer when he would get another, his answer was I cant get one (Campbells Preston who are Adria dealers), So i presume they are not rolling of the lineat any rate?

I am aware there's the odd one at other dealers, but not anywhere near the price of the one offered by campbells.

As an alternative I have my eye on a Rapido 691, similar layout, but smaller garage, brownhills northwest who are 10 miles from me, dont have one, but there newark branch do, If I tell them i'm interested in it, but havent seen one in the flesh, what will there response likely to be?.

As a last alternative, theres the NEC show, I've never been, what discount can I expect, and will I get a valuation on my van without them seeing it?.

I really cant believe how difficult it is to get a look at a new model van, let alone buy one.

Regards

Andy

I'd guess most of the production is now shut down for the holidays. When they come back, they'll be into the 2012 models. Unless a dealer somewhere has an unregistered 2011 van in stock, or an earlier used one, you'll have to order new. So, you'll either have to travel to view, or wait 'till next year. Prices will be what the dealer can persuade you, or someone else, to pay, but these are not cheap vans.

Neither are they small vans (7M + long). I note the Rapido, as advertised, with no options fitted and with the most basic spec, has a payload of just 500kg. If you are happy to stay with that unaltered, it should be just about viable, but if you want to increase the engine size, or add options, I think you'd be wise to go for the upgrade to 4,250kg.

If your driving licence doesn't permit you to drive at the higher weight, I think it would probably be better to downsize the van and maintain a realistic payload, rather than stick with that size, and juggle with weights. Just a thought.

You are looking for a very specific vehicle. Motorhomes are largely built to order, in quite small numbers. If you can't find what you want "off the forecourt", your only option will be to order, and wait. You may be able to do a good deal now on a van for next year, if you can find a dealer who wants "one in the pot" to start his next season, and that should secure you an early delivery.

On ordering at the NEC, you'll probably be offered a fat discount, but it may be from a dealer a long way from Lancashire, and people have reported problems with trade-in prices offered unseen at the show, when the van is finally presented to the dealer at handover time - little things like damp being found, for example. I guess you wouldn't buy a used van unseen, so why would a dealer?

Final thought. You won't see much of your new van, at a guess, before February, even if you order now. That is over six months hence. Who will you expect to take the risk on your van, and the market, between then and now? I think you will come under pressure to complete the trade early, and then wait while the dealer either tries to sell it, or sits on the value until the new van is delivered. Either exposes you to risk if the dealer goes bust in the meantime, and we are still at the bottom of a recession where may firms are unable to borrow to meet their obligations. I think the risk of bankruptcy in motorhome dealers over the next year or so, is quite high. The peak time for selling is coming into spring until early summer. Vans for sale now will tend to hang around, and the trade in prices will be marked down accordingly.

I'd therefore suggest you consider selling your present van privately starting immediately, to try to catch what market there still is. Then, just go shopping for what you want for delivery next year. If you trail the present van around a few Rapido (very few!) or Adria dealers expressing an interest in what you want, even if they don't have one in, and discuss ordering for next year against an agreed value on you van, you'll get some idea of what it will make as a trade in. If they say they want it now at that value, and are prepared to pay you cash up front against an order for a new 2012 van, less a deposit, and you like the firm and the price, all well and good. Job done! Otherwise, get it onto the market as fast as you can, ideally next week, and go for a private sale - but be prepared for it to take time, and cost a fair bit in advertising.

andy mccord - 2011-07-26 3:41 PM

As an alternative I have my eye on a Rapido 691, similar layout, but smaller garage, brownhills northwest who are 10 miles from me, dont have one, but there newark branch do, If I tell them i'm interested in it, but havent seen one in the flesh, what will there response likely to be?.

As a last alternative, theres the NEC show, I've never been, what discount can I expect, and will I get a valuation on my van without them seeing it?.

Regards

Andy

Andy

It's worth asking Brownhills Northwest what they can do.

If they are serious about a sale, they may transport the Rapido from Newark to Preston or they should be able to offer you a trade-in in conjunction with Newark.

I think you will just need to confirm that if Newark are to be the supplying dealership, your Warranty/Service work can be carried out at their Preston site.

Our last M/H was sold to another national Dealer at one site, but immediately transfered to another of their sites, where they had a Customer expressing an interest in that model.

Thanks for the replies gents,

After I missed the SC690 Adria, the dealer then told me that he has a Matrix 670SC coming in this week, I asked him what he would offer on my van Brian and I was quite happy with the figure he quoted, 3 years ago I bought the van new for £34K (Ace Airstream 630EW), he offered me £31K, which I was surprised at given some of the posting's on this forum, anyway we are going to look at the matrix, but the wife and I don't hold any hopes of liking it, as its 4 berth and there's only 2 of us, so the pull down bed would just be baggage, and the washroom is tiny compared to our Airstream, which is why we fancied the adria or the rapido with the separate shower from the washroom.

I really don't fancy the hassle of selling private, so I will see what campbells say about ordering one for next year, but I will be retaining my van till that point, or there will be no deal.

I am wary about buying from dealers from miles away, which is why I asked for opinions re brownhills & the rapido possibly doing a deal on that.

Campbell's are at the NEC this year along with brownhills, so maybe a deal could be struck at the show, what would be a typical discount offered usually at these shows?

Regards

Andy

Archived