Veneers lifting from units/ide panels

Domino

Can anyone offer advice on what we should do regarding our veneers lifting from cupboards, end panels on TV cupboard, end panel by sink, overhead cupboards etc. I have contacted the company we bought it from and they suggested spray adhesive but also said it is a common problem with many vans - not just theirs, and seems to happen when vans have been abroad, in hot countries for long periods of time. We have been abroad but surely this should not happen. Any information appreciated.

I have seen this on veneers, it is a result of the wrong glue being used, my guess is that it is some sort of PVA and it dries out in hot climates and simply "lets go".

Have a look on ebay for "veneer glue sheet" it is in thin sheets and is ironed on with a domestic iron, it sticks and stays stuck but you can remelt it if you need to reposition or remove a bubble.

If the laquer is marked or going opaque try mayonaise ( full fat) and baking powder made to a paste and smeared on, then heat it with a hair dryer and the marks should fade. Finally wipe off with a dry rag.

All this assumes it is real wood veneer, if it is a plastic printed veneer then I don't know!

H

Domino - 2011-07-27 10:49 AM............................. I have contacted the company we bought it from and they suggested spray adhesive but also said it is a common problem with many vans - not just theirs, and seems to happen when vans have been abroad, in hot countries for long periods of time. ...........................

This is a fob-off! It is also rubbish. It is not a common problem.

First, abroad is a large place. Second, abroad is where many vans are made, and used. Third, vans made and used abroad are not displaying widespread peeling veneers. Fourth, our van, made abroad four years ago, has spent about 51 weeks "abroad", and its veneers are not coming off. Ours are paper photoveneer, not natural veneers, but most vans are either paper or plastic photoveneer.

Veneered furniture has been made in UK and abroad for at least two hundred years, using far less sophisticated glues than are available today, and the only thing that generally gets these cockling is damp conditions. Modern synthetic adhesives, such as should be used in motorhomes - which are prone to humid atmospheres and cold storage - are damp and humidity proof and do not let go merely because they are taken to hotter climes.

If the firm you bought it from made it, as seems to be implied, and it is fairly recent, take it back and tell them to fix it themselves. Either it is the wrong glue, or it was poorly applied.

Spent three months in Greece in 1988 in a Holdsworth Villa 2 and no problem with photo veneer lifting in extreme heat. Met Richard Holdsworth afterwards and asked why he was using photo as opposed to wood veneer. Very firmly told that there was more consistensy with photo veneer but some converters used veneer that is too thin .

Take it back to the company who supplied it as it does not comply with the sale of goods act. As sutch it is not suitable for the use it was sold for. My 13 year old Eldiss has not shown any veneer problems and in its time has had a few leaks and been used in Italy and the south of France in very hot weather and in torrential rain periods when the heat caused high humidity. John (!)

I`ve been reading Motorhome Forums/Mags for a few years now and I can`t recall references to peeling veneer let alone the common fault claim. Its as stated earlier a "fob-off" complain bitterly until you reach an agreement for it to be put right.

Domino - 2011-07-27 10:49 AM

Can anyone offer advice on what we should do regarding our veneers lifting from cupboards, end panels on TV cupboard, end panel by sink, overhead cupboards etc. I have contacted the company we bought it from and they suggested spray adhesive but also said it is a common problem with many vans - not just theirs, and seems to happen when vans have been abroad, in hot countries for long periods of time. We have been abroad but surely this should not happen. Any information appreciated.

Words like "complete", "utter" and "twaddle" spring to mind on hearing such an excuse from a supplier. Have they not heard of the phrase "fit for purpose"? If you where to mention their name on this forum I suspect they would be a laughing-stock......... The supplier should take responsibility and sort it out as others have suggested.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will go back to manufacturer. The vehicle is a van conversion and is 2003 plate. We are the second owners. I did not think it would be fair to 'name and shame' the company here. However I will contact them again, pointing them to this site, which I'm sure they use and see if they are more helpful.

It is the person who sold it who is ultimately responsible for its adequacy. However, the van is now eight years old, so there is considerable scope for neglect or abuse before you got it.

Presumably, you did not detect the defects at the time you bought it. In view of this, and the age of the van, I doubt you will get much joy if you expect repairs at no cost to yourselves. I think you should show the defects to the seller (assuming it was not bought privately), especially if you have only owned it for a year or so, and invite them to join you in pressing the manufacturer to come up with some offer.

However, if it was OK when sold, especially if it was sold two or more years ago, then I think you'll be clutching at straws. Then, I think I would take the van directly to the converter, by arrangement, show it to them, and ask them what they can offer to remedy the problem. I very much doubt they will do anything for free after so long, but they should at least know their construction techniques caused a problem and, if they have any pride in their product or value their reputation, they should at least be prepared make it good at a reasonable price.

In the end, though, I think you may just have to accept the quickest, and probably cheapest, remedy, will be to follow some of the excellent DIY advice given above. Just try experimenting on inconspicuous bits before you attack anything significant, so you prove what works best, and acquire the techniques, where it won't show!

Just occured to me but a few years ago flooding caused a lot of motorhomes and caravans sited on a dealers forecourt to be so badly water damaged as to be insurance writeoffs could you be the unfortunate owner of one of these as the insurance companys tend to sell on what is then their property. Hope its not as I dont know how you would stand as to repairs. (?) John

teflon2 - 2011-07-28 8:22 PM

Just occured to me but a few years ago flooding caused a lot of motorhomes and caravans sited on a dealers forecourt to be so badly water damaged as to be insurance writeoffs could you be the unfortunate owner of one of these as the insurance companys tend to sell on what is then their property. Hope its not as I dont know how you would stand as to repairs. (?) John

I think if it had been so deep as to affect the corners of our top cupboards, there may have been a sign of water damage elsewhere :-S

I do however, recall having a rear light cluster replaced when the van was a few months old due to condensation *-)

Archived