What is this behind the passenger seat ?

sjh1341

It does look like air suspension but the worrying thing is the gauges are showing zero. Possibly a previous owner removed the air suspension but left the dials in place.

The silver valves at the top are for attaching a 12v electric tyre pump to raise/stiffen the rear suspension. Attach a pump to the silver valves and see what happens. The gauges should read around 30 - 40 lbs per square ins if you like a firm ride. If they don't inflate the air suspension has either been removed or is faulty.

But you can as easily use a bicycle pump! It is strongly recommended not to drive with zero pressure. Most systems have a stated minimum (and maximum) pressure, did you not get any manuals etc?

In the absence of specific instructions, I'd say try it at 1 bar while you find out the make and get some instructions for it. It is a neat installation, and looks to have been professionally installed from a kit.

Ok I have attached my trusty bike pump and it inflates quite nicely, I have set it at 2 bar for now until I can figure out any more information or the helpful friends on here come up with the answer. Is it possible the previous owners would have let the suspension down if laying the vehicle up for some time?

The vehicle has only done 2500miles since mid 2008 so I reckon its been sat for some time.

thoughts on correct pressure, only make on it is topdrive

thanks

Steve

(^)

I'm curious and Steve may be interested too:

If the gauges where on "zero" at MOT time would the van fail the test? Similarly would a road-side VOSA check raise it as a problem?

If the system was after-market fitted as has been suggested, presumably Steve needs to tell his insurer of a modification?

Derek/Brian likely to know please?

Bob

sjh1341 - 2011-07-27 7:34 PM

Ok I have attached my trusty bike pump and it inflates quite nicely, I have set it at 2 bar for now until I can figure out any more information or the helpful friends on here come up with the answer. Is it possible the previous owners would have let the suspension down if laying the vehicle up for some time?

The vehicle has only done 2500miles since mid 2008 so I reckon its been sat for some time.

thoughts on correct pressure, only make on it is topdrive

thanks

Steve

(^)

As to what is the correct pressure, their is not one. This is a bit like the tyre pressure thing with M/H, it depends on loadings of your van and why it was fitted in the first place. People fit these for several reasons, to correct sagging rear springs, to stop the sway you get with a m/h at the rear or to help with rear axle loading. You can sometimes get an axle upgrade from someone like SV Tech by fitting these, the rear axle on my own van got a 100kg greater loading with air suspension. You can remove it completely if you wished and replace the original bump stops. I am assuming you have a leaf spring rear axle as you do not say. If you wish to keep it you will just have to play around with the pressures to find the one that suits you.

Usinmyknaus - 2011-07-27 9:34 PM

..If the gauges where on "zero" at MOT time would the van fail the test? Similarly would a road-side VOSA check raise it as a problem?..

Logically there ought to SOME pressure in the air-bellows just to keep them in shape, but I can't see why having a very low pressure in them (say 5psi) should matter to an MOT tester as long as there's no sign of damage. Nor should it worry a VOSA inspector. See:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm

As has already been suggested, it's possible that the previous owner deflated the bellows or that the air in them has very gradually leaked out over time. It's certainly worth keeping a close eye on the gauges for a while to make sure the bellows haven't developed leaks while the vehicle has been standing.

Rupert123's statement about the air-bellows system that "You can remove it completely if you wished and replace the original bump stops" needs caution. In the Saratosa's case, this system permits an increase in the vehicle's MAM to 4150kg. Reverting to the standard bump-stops would compromise that figure, probably downwards to 3850kg.

Having got air suspension ourselves, having had it put on a previous van also, I suggest you keep it at all costs! Once you have got used to having it you'll wish you always had it.

Just keep an eye on the gauges to ensure the pressure stays up, if not then it might not be the bellows at fault but the piping to them, as it is only plastic tubing - like a thin, but tougher, extra long straw - so could have been damaged in the past.

Have a drive around and tweak the pressure to get a good compromise between stability and ride comfort then leave it at that for a while and see how it goes.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-07-28 3:38 PM

Usinmyknaus - 2011-07-27 9:34 PM

..If the gauges where on "zero" at MOT time would the van fail the test? Similarly would a road-side VOSA check raise it as a problem?..

Logically there ought to SOME pressure in the air-bellows just to keep them in shape, but I can't see why having a very low pressure in them (say 5psi) should matter to an MOT tester as long as there's no sign of damage. Nor should it worry a VOSA inspector. See:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm

As has already been suggested, it's possible that the previous owner deflated the bellows or that the air in them has very gradually leaked out over time. It's certainly worth keeping a close eye on the gauges for a while to make sure the bellows haven't developed leaks while the vehicle has been standing.

/QUOTE

Thanks Derek, that's useful to know.

Bob

Archived