The last space shuttle

Way2Go

The only bit I recognise is the marker pen writing on the inspection lights, how do they (the lights) stay in place in microgravity? Just to think I have trouble keeping that little needle in the right area on a speedo.John :D

I see one of them has taken their Dell laptop with them. Presumably so they can email friends whilst on holiday?

D'ya think they'd get a signal with their dongle? What are the chances of getting a signal from '3' or Vodafone and does space count as being 'abroad?'

(lol) (lol)

It is also because the onboard computer of the orbiter has less than one megabyte of RAM. The brain of the shuttle has the computational power of an IBM 5150, According to NASA and IBM, the shuttle’s General Purpose Computer (GPC)—which controls, among other things, the entire launch sequence—is an upgrade of the 500-kilobyte computer the shuttle flew with until 1991.

Such an antiquated computer works just fine for NASA. The shuttle doesn’t (or i suppose "didn't" now :'( ) need to support a powerful graphics engine or create PowerPoint presentations or store MP3s. It focuses entirely on raw functions—thrusters on, thrusters off—which, though mathematically complex, don’t require the juice that a user interface like Windows calls for. The GPC has flown so many missions with hardly a hiccup that there’s no reason to replace it, even if it is just 0.005 percent as powerful as an Xbox 360.

A complete overhaul would have been horrendously expensive. The GPC’s software would have to be completely reconfigured for a modern computer and tested until proven flawless.

If it ain’t broke - don't fix it is a good safety net considering Russia’s Soyuz space capsule, which since 1974 has been running Argon-16 flight-computer software with just six kilobytes of RAM. was "upgraded" in 2003 by the Russians who rewrote some of the spacecraft’s software, which some experts suspect led to its subsequent crash-landing in a desert in Kazakhstan. 8-)

Hence why the Astronauts carried their computer requirements with them on laptops "similar" to that which I am tapping away on right now. I find that amazing. I take my laptop to work - and so do they!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Our Motorhome "Big Olga" is the same age as the shuttle programme!

She was born in Germany in 1979 and was first registered in Northern Ireland in 1981.

The first shuttle "Discovery"was launched in 1981!!

I was vexed at not seeing "Atlantis" on her final mission as there was no sighting in my area; But I did see "Endevour" chasing the I.S.S. across the sky at 17,000 miles per hour on her last mission..

Best Wishes Dave And "big Olga"

If you ever fly into Washington DC you can see the Enterprise Shuttle at the Dulles International Airport Museum http://www.nasm.si.edu/imagedetail.cfm?imageID=987 .

We didn't have time when we were last there but did spend an amazing day at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in the centre of Washington DC. Fantastic place to visit which is full of lots of space hardware including the Apollo 11 capsule and capsules from the Mercury and Gemini programs.

I took a few snaps when we were there last November if you wanted to have a look http://www.pbase.com/no_darkroom/washington2010

W2G

postnote - 2011-08-14 1:33 PM

Last space shuttle, what a load of tosh...Got one in the garage for sale, any offers. Don't worry about the Made in Taiwan stickers told it would fly. Honest Gov.. (lol)

Postnote in training to be a Motorhome saklesman ? :D :D :D :D

(see his thread in Motorhome Matters )

Last space shuttle, what a load of tosh...Got one in the garage for sale, any offers. Don't worry about the Made in Taiwan stickers told it would fly. Honest Gov.. (lol)

O.K., well that's the end of that thread then. I'm not being involved in any thread that you 'contribute' to.

To the other contributors, it was fun while it lasted - thanks for your contributions. We must do this again.

W2G

flicka - 2011-08-14 11:05 PM

Postnote in training to be a Motorhome saklesman ? :D :D :D :D

(see his thread in Motorhome Matters )

Yes sure am, Brian has taken me under arm and teaching me the ways of honesty.:D

A bit smelly under here :'(

Archived