motorhome extended warranty

tony.x

HI

I purchased a 5 year old Autocruise last year it came with a 12 month gold warranty from from MB&G the cover runs out next month and i can renew for £445 12 months £645 24 months or £745 for 36 months i have used the policy around 8 times to get things fixed mainly minor,but now faced with having to pay for a policy,what are your thoughts do you bother with extended warrantys does it look a good deal,can you buy them private without buying from a dealer,do you think they are worthwhile any info you have on past experiances will be great

I personally would never bother with any insurance based warranty, in my opinion the only people who make on them is the insurance co., who from what I have heard of them do there best to make sure that the conditions to get coverage are so loaded in there favour as to be impossible to meet. I have and would in future sooner take my chance than get involved with them.

You say youv'e used the warrantee about 8 times to get things sorted. It is unlikely that the warrantee company had anything to do with these items as in the first 12 months both the base vehicle and the habitation side would have been covered by the manufacturers. As Desco says, the conditions for these warrantees are such that virtually everything is excluded as it is all 'wear and tear' . Personally I'd put the money aside that you might have spent on extending and use it to pay for repairs if the need arises. If it doesn't, then youv'e got something for a rainy day.

paulmold - 2011-07-28 5:04 PM

You say youv'e used the warrantee about 8 times to get things sorted. It is unlikely that the warrantee company had anything to do with these items as in the first 12 months both the base vehicle and the habitation side would have been covered by the manufacturers.

Not on a 5 year old one it wouldn't. :-S

Personally, when we were considering doing what you are, we didn't bother in the end, the cost of the warranty, and the exclusions with it, made it a waste of money.

It would be interesting to know, however, what 8 items you had to have sorted out though!

Mel B - 2011-07-28 7:59 PM

paulmold - 2011-07-28 5:04 PM

You say youv'e used the warrantee about 8 times to get things sorted. It is unlikely that the warrantee company had anything to do with these items as in the first 12 months both the base vehicle and the habitation side would have been covered by the manufacturers.

Not on a 5 year old one it wouldn't. :-S

Personally, when we were considering doing what you are, we didn't bother in the end, the cost of the warranty, and the exclusions with it, made it a waste of money.

It would be interesting to know, however, what 8 items you had to have sorted out though!

Sorry I didn't read it properly, thought it was new when bought.

When I bought my motorhome I got a 3 month 'comprehensive warranty' included in the price of the vehicle. I was offered the opportunity to extend the 'comprehensive warranty' for 12 months if I wished to do so.....I declined.

I promptly went to Europe in the motorhome following purchase and some 2 weeks before the 3 month 'comprehensive warranty' expired I discovered a crack in the shower tray. The insurers backing the 'comprehensive warranty' were duly contacted and I was informed that all washroom fittings were covered.......apart from the shower tray.

Marquis Motorhomes to their credit replaced the tray at their own expense, but I only buy compulsory insurance policies. The extended warranties are a scam in my view.

HI

they missed a few habitation items,also had problems with radio reception and tv conections,had a water pump problem,some electrical problems and leisure battery issues due to bad wiring,they fixed all the problems some not covered by warranty,but fixed as i purchased motorhome from them just thinking will they be the same with extended warranty or will they be more picky,have never bought extented warranties before but you cant compare a motorhome to a tv so will give all comments some thought thanks

Hi,

I will be in the same posistion as you in two months time (end of Sept.) 2005 Autocruise Starburst bought last year from Brownhills, 2 very expensive items fixed in the first month, but by brownhills themselves NOT claimed through the warranty . New Charger Power supply and new calorifier for the Eberspacher water heater. Total would have been at least £1000.

Have just been away in it for 12 weeks, so it's now had a good 'Shakedown'. I won't be purchasing the extra Year 'extended' warranty as too many things are excluded, virtually all the things that are most likely to fail. So I know now that ' It will be down to me', instead of 'Thinking that i'm covered only to find that i'm NOT because of small print exclusions. Ray

Hi

I would advise you to read any paperwork and small print before purchasing a warranty. Myself and my husband were well and truly stitched up when we paid £495 for a 3 yr warranty when we purchased our motor home last year and it isnt worth the paper it is printed on.. :'(

Archived