motoring in Spain with red&white rear panel ??

lynne cox

I believe It depend how far the load projects.If you carry bikes it is best to assume that you do need one.

The diagonals should point down to the kerbside, I think they should be metal, but I wouldn't lose any sleep you have a plastic one.

Basically if you have anything protruding from the rear, then a panel is required. It is usually bikes that fall into this category and applies if they are attached to the rear of motorhome, caravan or even car. Also some MH's have a box attached to the back and this also requires the panel to be strapped over it.

The police in Spain are starting to get more interested in touring outfits, possibly because a number (including Brits) do not follow the laws, or possibly because it is a source of revenue. Whatever the reason it is best to be as clean as possible and stay out of trouble.

We live in Spain.

My rough estimate would be that about 5% of MH's with bike racks etc which overhang the rear actually display the red & white striped panel when on the road here.

We don't, and no-one else that I know around here does.

I've never ever come across anyone who's been stopped or had a fine for not displaying one in Spain, and it never gets a mention on either of the 2 Spanish motorhome forums that I visit.

Hi,
May be no problem down south but it's a well known one up north with motorhomes coming off the ferries and over the French border. Even some large trailers towed by motorhomes now have to have "Long Vehicle" at the rear. Safer to have one up.
Regards,
Brendan

I am afraid I disagree with BGD's comment. Having just returned from 3 months in Spain I can only state that virtually everone who had a motorhome or caravan with an overhanging load at the rear we saw, was displaying the board. Maybe his part of Spain is a different matter but from Cartagena north to the border they seemed very common regardless of nationality.. We also did meet campers who had been stopped, not necessarily for that particular issue, usually document checks, but were happy to eliminate it from any possible concerns by the Police.

I accept that in Spain there is often a 'laisse faire' attitude to many of the 'rules'. Speed limits being one, but sooner or later the crunch will come, and it could be an expensive one.

Archived