Fuel consumption

poppyh

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2004 Mazda Bongo 2ltr petrol auto. Can anybody help with the fuel consumption for this vehicle, and is it worth doing a lpg conversion? any body has this done, if so reccomend anybody.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I can only comment on the LPG thing in our very rural backwater, I had a Range Rover that had been converted, but only very briefly as in my experience LPG outlets were a bit thin on the ground, and indeed in our area at least 4 out of five that used to do LPG now no longer do, they said because of lack of demand. Factor in the conversion costs and my guess is you'll have to do a fair bit of mileage to make it worth your while, others will no doubt have other experiences. But for me I'd say forget it and get a diesel powered vehicle, or accept the petrol costs.

I'm sure that someone will be along soon with more accurate figures but you can use these as a starting point. Expect petrol fuel consumption in the low 20's especially if you get a four wheel drive version. LPG is costing between 66p and 77p per liter, so average 70p. With the conversion expect slightly less mpg than with petrol, around 20mpg. The conversion will cost about £1000 (maybe a bit more) so now estimating your annual mileage work out how long it will take to break even, it maybe longer than you plan to keep the van! There are books and maps available which give locations of LPG garages so finding a fuel supplier should not be a problem.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mr. Grumpy - 2011-07-29 9:02 AM

There are books and maps available which give locations of LPG garages so finding a fuel supplier should not be a problem.

As I said in my post above, be cautious as the four out of five retailers of LPG for filling vehicles in our local area are still currently shown on a database on the internet, and on maps.One in particular I know for a fact stopped trading at least two years ago. My advice have a ring round the suppliers in your area to ensure availability first, this site may help.

http://www.getlpg.org.uk/

Hi, we had our Honda CRV gassed just over a year ago, cost £1600 and was the best thing we ever did (apart from buying our motorhome), I know we did the mileage but we knew that, and it was paid for in just under a year and as we're keeping the car its now just CHEAP motoring. Fill up for £30-£35 depending where you get your gas and we get approx £300 miles, personally I think it runs better and no probs with Honda garage. All I can say is, if you do the mileage and you want to keep it, go for it, DVLA change the 'fuel' on the log book and they drop the road fund by "20. :-D

poppyh - 2011-07-28 7:31 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2004 Mazda Bongo 2ltr petrol auto. Can anybody help with the fuel consumption for this vehicle, and is it worth doing a lpg conversion? any body has this done, if so reccomend anybody.

You might try this company for information:

http://www.lpgimports.co.uk/

My own feeling is that, unless you plan to do keep the vehicle long enough and do enough mileage to offset the cost of the LPG conversion, you'd be best not to do it. Either stay with the original petrol-only system, purchase an already-LPG-converted vehicle, or opt for a diesel-fuelled version instead.

Archived