san sebastian

derek pringle

Hi All,

Looking for some help and advice please.

My wife and I are heading off to France in a few weeks for about 5 weeks, and one of the route options we are looking at is down to Bordeaux and then either along the Dordogne or direct South of Bordeaux.

If we headed directly south of Bordeaux we would be interested in travelling on to San Sebastian,Spain for a short time, through the Pyrenees. San Sebastian itself from what little I have seen on t.v. etc looks an interesting vibrant place but I do not know the possibilities of being able to stay in the town local to the centre Sea Front.

Are there any sites or Aires in the area?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

derek

Hi, Stayed there a few times at the site linked below, there is a bus that runs from directly outside the campsite into town/city the pitches are on the small side but we managed to get on and we are 7.5 metre long, if you have a reasonable sized van don't take the road left when leaving as apparently it gets very very narrow, go back into town to leave, you need to follow the bus route up to Igueldo be careful following your satnav as we had to turn around the first time we went.

San Sebastian is a really nice town/city could easily spend 2/3 days if not more, try to be there on a Friday evening in the old part as the tapas (if that's what they call it) is worth being part of, every where selling tapas and hundreds of people going in and out of bars/rest the atmosphere is great.

We would go again tomorrow, you could also visit Pamperlona where they run the bulls etc, earlier in the year, and then perhaps pop back into France and go to Lourdes really worth a visit, its not sad at all really worth visiting while you are down that way.

Hope that helps.

http://www.campings.com/camping-igueldo-donostiasan-sebastian/?idlengua=3

What we do is stay on aire at Henday Plage (dept 65); not a great out look but can take either a free local bus(stops at aire), or train from station opposite to Henday town rail station. From here a cheap local narrow gauge rail link takes you to San Sebastian in about 30/40 mins. San Sabastian is well worth a visit with a nice atmosphere and setting in large bay. (Aire is free for both parking and services).

Archived