New to motorcaravanning

caradoc

We are due to collect our first proper motorhome, an Autosleeper Ravenna (Ford Transit automatic) from Brownhills Newark on Monday - hoping to get lots of useful info and help from the forum members! We have booked our first trip to Cornwall (we are Midlands-based) over the Easter weekend with our two dogs, who are as new to motorcaravanning as we are, all of us in our more mature years!! Does anyone have any helpful advice on what we should definitely not forget to check or to buy as additional essentials when we collect on Monday? By the way, we found motorhome dealers just like most car dealers - relatively disinterested on the whole, most except for Newark laughed at me when I specified we needed an auto transmission, many just didn't even bother to return my calls or emails. Wonder why they bother to advertise - obviously business is so good they don't need to bother with us! Newark has been ok so far - everything is on track for delivery as promised, and its been quite painless (except for the price of the motorhome of course!) We're a bit nervous of the size of the vehicle and managing it on both our driveway and the roads, but I'm sure it will sort itself out! Our driveway is 2.7m wide at the narrowest, and the Ravenna is 2.51m wide, so parking up it will need to be very accurate! I would greatly appreciate advice and tips from the experienced as to what we should equip ourselves with to make for a comfortable and pleasant experience on our first motorcaravanning trip!

Just read your other posting before getting to this one, there's now a whole lot more 'auto' motorhomes coming to market as Master/Morvano is now availible with similair system to Transit. I am thinking along these lines myself for next van but am concerned as to there longevity.

We chose the Ford base as its (arguably) a good, tough, cheap-to-fix vehicle with spares and sevicing available just about everywhere. Mercedes-based autos were all sold out for this year, and none within reasonable access to view, with exorbitant pricing. We looked at the Lunar on the Renault auto base, but it seemed so small and cramped next to the Ravenna, and I've never been too sure about reliability of Renault and Fiat......

Check whether your warranty gives you decent breakdown cover with eg. AA,RAC etc. and whether they can in fact handle your size of van(to save you buying your own unnecessarily,as I did (!) ).The rest is just down to practice and familiarity.By the way, could,nt you have found somewhere with narrower lanes than Cornwall for your first trip???Hot water and a massage will soon loosen up the old fingers and bring the colour back to your knuckles.Seriously,stick with it,join Caravan Club for variety of sites, you,ll find other campers always helpful so dont be afraid to ask even the most basic things and hopefully, like us, you,ll soon be having the best holidays you,ve ever had.

hello caradoc thanks for your reply its good to know we arnt the only ones taking up this mad venture,as you know we are at the looking stage,i hope you have a great time and lots of fun! in your new home on wheels,be glad to hear of your first experience if you want to share it with me,take care and have a good time.cornwall is lovely wev camped,tent, at morgan porth is got a lovely site .lynne :-> B-)

Hi caradoc Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming. There are loads of things different people wouldn't be without but as time passes you will develop a list of 'must haves' of your own. My advice right now is don't forget the tea bags for that quick stop en route. :-D Regards, david

Hi Larry Thanks - went with Safeguard and they include AA cover for the van, size is fine. I suppose Cornwall lanes are rather like our own driveway :) Joined Caravan Club beforehand and have booked at one of their sites - Treamble Valley? Anyone know it / have some experience of it? Taking two large dogs - alsatian and a border collie. Had a full room type awning fitted as an extra, thinking dogs will probably need space when "home" at the van. Decided to collect van together rather than drive down to Newark and have to return in two vehicles, found local private hire firm to take us down very reasonably (less than the trip in our thirsty Range Rover!) Very excited about this all, but rather nervous as well!

Hi - firstly enjoy your van! Take a pen and pad with you for the copious notes you'll want to make during your first trip - things you want to alter, add or, unfortunately, want fixing! Secondly, with 2 dogs, think about how you're going to keep them in when you want the 'caravan' door open. We use a piece of expanding bamboo garden trellis which we wedge across the door way, it can be easily removed and stored but keeps the little blighters in to save chasing them around the camp site! Don't rely on a flyscreen if you've got one, I've seen a pictrre of the damage large dogs can do when they suddenly decide to run out ...! To work out what you'll need for your first trip, work out what you'll be doing in the van, from sleeping (all your bedding stuff), getting up to use the loo (toilet roll, hand towels), having a morning cuppa etc, cooking meals (pots, pans, utencils), imagine right through to going to bed at night (nightie, slippers etc). It's easier to do if you just 'observe' what you do at home during the day and what items you use, you'll end up with a long list but hopefully won't forget the essentials. Don't forget a spare pair of glasses if you wear them and any medications. Buy any bits and pieces (such as cutlery, plates etc) from the cheap shops (Poundland, Poundstretcher etc), you'll find most of what you need there and for a fraction of the cost of buying it in the dealer's shop. We used to use proper plates but they were heavy and took up too much space so got some cheap melamine ones instead ... just don't put them under the grill ... my husband did with some bacon on to keep it warm, needless to say we ended up with a very interesting piece of modern art! Don't forget the tin opener for the dog food and bowls. Oh, and most importantly, your dogs will want their home comforts as well, especially their favourite toys! Remember though, if you do forget something someone somewhere on the site will be able to help you out and you won't be a million miles away from civilisation so you can always buy some bits to tide you over. It's tempting to take loads of stuff but you'll find that most of it just clogs up cupboard space and/or you'll forget where you've put it anyway! Have fun.

The only thing we have both left behind on different occasions is knickers! We now keep spares in the van! Ohh and once we left the vehicle documents behind. We were in Germany before we realised, so stayed put till the son despatched them out overnight! One good tip I learnt here once, was if it doesn't serve three uses, chuck it. Now if only I would follow that advice.

Good luck with your new motorcaravan, if you have time after your trip to Cornwall, try the weekend at the Peterborough Motorhome Show as you will find everything you can think of there, and its a excellent weekend with lots of like minded folk to ask questions and most are more than happy to be of help.

Hi Caradoc Dont worry if you have forgotten to buy any gear, you will find lots more that you need before long - Camping is like that Driving a bigger vehicle is a lot different to a car. The main thing is that many motorists get too close to be seen in your mirrors We were followed noe early morning by a car (I only knew because I could see some lights close up to my rear end) Any way after some 2 miles it turned out to be a police car Why didnt I stop - When I told him he was too close in to be seen He wanted to see my license etc. So I took his number and aasked for his car number - What for - well if I am to be reported Then so shall you be for driving too close to be seen - This is a commercial van with a full load and I use only the wing mirrors, My report will be sent to the Cheif Constable tomorrow Reversing I always get my wife to assist from outside the van - Actually I have better vision in the van than in our sons car Remember that you are wider than the car and possible it will not have the acceleration, so on Mways keep your eye on the mirror when you want to overtake and pull out earlier Mind you head Our neighbour clouted some sun shades over his pitch in Spain & holled his new van Good camping

Archived