VW camper battery drain - help please

terryW

A 29 year old VW camper Van has just joined the family but has a habit of draining the battery. It has a new battery, charges well and starts first time. But when left the battery goes flat. I have disconnected all additional/ancillary connections to the battery leaving just the original vehicle connections and find that with the ignition switched off something is drawing about 40 mA.

I would have thought with ignition off no current should be drawn. Any thoughts anyone?

Guest Tracker

Does it have an alarm - these are the cause of much grief to batteries - especially afterfit ones!

Does it have a control panel for the habitation side as these too are known offenders?

Sorry but I'm not familiar with VWs - but someone who is will soon be along - probably?

If you can tell us what converter and/or model it is it might help?

tonyishuk - 2011-08-01 8:01 PMNot sure when alternators were introduced, but the diodes on the alternator may be leaking charge when the vehicle is static. But good enough to work to charge the battery.Rgds

Never thought of that, I was trying to think what electronics would be associated with the engine and never though of the alternator.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Not much help really but I have a 2003 Avensis with the same problem, have took it to local garage, searched internet forums, replaced the alternator, pulled and disabled everything in turn, alarm, you name it I've done it. My solution is a battery isolator switch on the negative side not ideal but does the job. Available quite cheaply as well, no more flat battery.

Do a Google search for parasitic battery drain, quite a common headache apparently for some ! !

1footinthegrave - 2011-08-01 8:35 PMNot much help really but I have a 2003 Avensis with the same problem, have took it to local garage, searched internet forums, replaced the alternator, pulled and disabled everything in turn, alarm, you name it I've done it. My solution is a battery isolator switch on the negative side not ideal but does the job. Available quite cheaply as well, no more flat battery.Do a Google search for parasitic battery drain, quite a common headache apparently for some ! !

Sounds like a good tip. At the moment they are disconnecting the battery.

onecal - 2011-08-02 2:11 PMHi Terry,
What model and build is your VW? T2, T3????
Regards,
Brendan

Hi Brendan, it's my daughters T3. They aquired it a couple of months ago to see if they liked it and fell in love with the life immediately, out in it most weekends. The idea was that if they liked it they would do it up but having spent some time in it they have now discovered what we would have told them, had they asked, two adults, two kids and three dogs is a bit tight in a VW! But now they have the bug and will be looking for a starter coachbuilt at the end of the summer.

Hi Terry,
Pull a fuse and check, and then another until the 40 ma as you quote drops. You now have found the faulty circuit , Yes the Alt' needs to be checked, also the fusebox as it gives trouble on this model aswell as the inside overhead light shorting out
Regards,
Brandan

Archived