Keeping your pitch

GARNELP

I am new to all this and woke up the other night whilst at home a wondered. If I buy a motorhome, find a site, pitch up then go off for the day, how can I keep my pitch until I come back? I wont have an awning so it got me thinking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Paul

Lots of people leave their tables and chairs out, when not on pitch. We have a little plaque that say "this pitch is for ABC11DEF (MH No Plate) though we have never used it, as we tend to move on, or get local transport .

Welcome to the forum, , hope you try our way of life

PJay

We had a M/Home shaped plaque with our reg on it that we would put out at times..And I also had a traffic cone which I would use in conjunction with the plaque...Mind you I once used the traffic cone on it's own only to return and find someone had my pitch AND taken the cone too...Mind you he was well p****'d off when the warden made him move!!!

We have got a cheap plastic bucket that we have painted our m/h registration on. If it gets stolen we have not lost very much. I have always found that the people on caravan club sites to be very honest and respectful of the fact that you have moved off, cannot say the same for commercial sites though!

We haven't ventured to France yet so have no idea how safe our pitch marker will be.

tugga - 2011-08-02 8:28 AM

We have got a cheap plastic bucket that we have painted our m/h registration on. If it gets stolen we have not lost very much. I have always found that the people on caravan club sites to be very honest and respectful of the fact that you have moved off, cannot say the same for commercial sites though!

We haven't ventured to France yet so have no idea how safe our pitch marker will be.

If I wanted to try to 'protect' a campsite pitch in France, I'd make an official-looking marker with "Emplacement réservé" on it.

Some French campsites have a plan of the site on a notice-board indicating which pitches are free, but many don't. Not sure I'd take much notice of just a bucket with a registration-number on it - how could it be known whether the bucket had been accidentally left behind when the vehicle's stay on the campsite was over or whether the vehicle was returning? I'm not saying I'd deliberately pinch your bucket-protected pitch but, if the campsite were otherwise full, I'd certainly consider it!

As far as 'aires' are concerned, you can forget pitch 'protection' - any space wide enough to shoehorn a motorhome in is fair game.

On the Continent most site pitches are deliniated by hedges or trees so you know exactly which bit of dirt is yours. As mentioned many MH users leave chairs etc on the ground and in the vast majority of cases this works well. There is of course always a chance of theft, but it is remote. Most campers respect the property of others. The usual practice when arriving on site is to be allowed to walk round to identify empty pitches you might like and then the office will confirm if these are available. Some empty pitches have been pre booked for later days so may be denied to you. In the UK the C&CC will guide you to your pitch so is not going to be taken by tohers unless a mixup occurs. In the CC you again give them the number after choosing, and again it is yours until you leave. If someone does 'nab' it while you are away then the wardens will move them.

I do not feel you need to worry too much on this score. Get out there and enjoy your MH.

Guest pelmetman
I leave my BBQ, and a dog bowl as a pitch marker:D.......................Normally makes sure I get plenty of space:D

We bought notices in both French and English when we had our first motorhome and fastened then to an aluminium 'post' one either side.  We stick this in with the relevant language facing forwards.  It has the registration of that vehicle on it not the current one, but we still use it (too tight to fork out for more).  Could be a problem if we ever encounter the new owner of our old van I suppose?

We don't that often travel out and back from sites (when we leave, we're usually gone!), but when we do, we leave either our hook-up lead, or something else, visible on the pitch or, if we don't think it will still be there when we return, we leave nothing, take pot luck, and if someone else has moved in, we just move to a different pitch. I think the latter has happened once in five years.

Usually, a pitch is allocated, or one choses and confirms the choice to reception, so that pitch is automatically excluded for others. We usually avoid mid-summer and, once out of the peak, there is little pressure on places, so re-siting is of little consequence.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just go, and see how you get on.

If it becomes a problem you are either possessive, using the wrong sites, or going at the wrong time of the year! :-D In truth, I really don't think the degree of inconvenience will ever justify sticks with registration numbers on them! Besides which, if someone really wants your pitch while you are away, they'll just move your stick on the next pitch along! Try proving that in Swahili! :D

I think it's more of a UK problem, Brian.

Like you we tend to only use a site for one night on the Continent, then move on.

In UK, (CC site) we have often pulled onto a pitch, only to need to move when informing Reception of our choice & being informed that our choice is already allocated.

Fortunately we have not pitched up, then someone who has already been allocated that pitch returning before reception have been informed.

So yes, in the UK a pitch marker can avoid any unpleasantry.

My experience in recent times is that CC and C&CC sites often have a notice in the office asking you to leave a marker on your pitch if you are out for the day.

Plus, when being sited on arrival, the site manager has reminded us to leave a marker.

I have occasionally seen the same thing on the continent.

At a commercial site in Scotland, in June this year, the site owner had left a number of petrol cans in the information 'shed' - the cans were painted white and had 'reserved' ( or 'pitch in use' ?) painted on them in red.

You were asked to place them on your pitch if you went out, and return them before you departed the site.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-02 9:25 AM

As far as 'aires' are concerned, you can forget pitch 'protection' - any space wide enough to shoehorn a motorhome in is fair game.

We once saw someone try though - on a busy aire at L'Aiguillon-sur-Mer, a space with an outward view had a table and two chairs left on it! When they returned we noticed they were German - strange, they'd forgotten to put towels on the chairs! :-D

My big regret from that day is that I'd have loved to just move the furniture to one side, so someone else took the spot, then watch what happened. Maybe I'm just not nasty enough!

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2011-08-03 5:11 PMCaravan club sites sell reasonably priced signs saying motor home using this pitch from their site offices.

Yeah:D...............I bought one of those and left it on the pitch when we moved on:-S

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2011-08-03 10:38 PMI wonder how long the pitch remained empty?

It was on a CL 5 years ago...........................It's probably still hanging on the bush:D 

Tony Jones - 2011-08-03 5:08 PM

We once saw someone try though - on a busy aire at L'Aiguillon-sur-Mer, a space with an outward view had a table and two chairs left on it! When they returned we noticed they were German - strange, they'd forgotten to put towels on the chairs! :-D

My big regret from that day is that I'd have loved to just move the furniture to one side, so someone else took the spot, then watch what happened. Maybe I'm just not nasty enough!

Still Tony, it's a positive improvement on their forebears' unfortunate propensity to decorate France with "Achtung Minen" signs........ or the odd tank. ;-) :D

Usinmyknaus - 2011-08-04 9:49 AM

Tony Jones - 2011-08-03 5:08 PM

Still Tony, it's a positive improvement on their forebears' unfortunate propensity to decorate France with "Achtung Minen" signs........ or the odd tank. ;-) :D

Best posting I've read in years!!!! :D :D Now how do I get coffee spray off my keyboard? 8-)

Archived