tunnel or ferry??

nell

hi

there's two of us a motorhome and 2 dogs. I am prone to sea sickness if the weathers not good.

We can't decide which is the best/ cheapest way to get to france - ferry or channel tunnel - All advice suggestions welcome.

We went on the ferry in early july and were annoyed to find that we were expected to pay up £30 per dog - all they do is lie in the motorhome during the journey

Someone told us about a flexi deal on the chunnel - where you buy 10 tickets at a cheaper rate for use throughout a year and she saved money. Does anyone know about his?

;-) :-)

The tunnel is quicker, but more expensive, and the pooches stay with you. So, ferry slower, but cheaper, and the pooches stay in the van.

If you use Tesco, you can use Tesco points to pay for all, or part, of the tunnel fare - but not for any of the ferry fares. So, using Tesco points, the cash cost to you can be as little as zero, which beats all others! :-D

Now all you have to do is decide!

Brian Kirby - 2011-08-02 2:37 PM

If you use Tesco, you can use Tesco points to pay for all, or part, of the tunnel fare - but not for any of the ferry fares.

I think you can use Tesco points for most ferries, indirectly - you use the points to buy Airmiles, which can then be used for ferries, I believe. I've never worked out though if the "conversion rate" compares well or badly to using the points direct.

My wife gets seasick before the ferry sets off, so for us the tunnel is a no-brainer.

nell - 2011-08-02 9:40 AM

hi

there's two of us a motorhome and 2 dogs. I am prone to sea sickness if the weathers not good.

We can't decide which is the best/ cheapest way to get to france - ferry or channel tunnel - All advice suggestions welcome.

We went on the ferry in early july and were annoyed to find that we were expected to pay up £30 per dog - all they do is lie in the motorhome during the journey

Someone told us about a flexi deal on the chunnel - where you buy 10 tickets at a cheaper rate for use throughout a year and she saved money. Does anyone know about his?

;-) :-)

To me the Sea France deal remains the best, buy three return trips and cost is £39 a trip. Their is not much restriction on this, a £5 supplement between mid July to end August and some £25 supplements that are easily avoided. The best thing about this is no bookings need be made except the first out trip and even this can be changed with no penalty. We looked at the tunnel deal but far to many restrictions.

The tunnel is by far the quickest, not just in journey time but in the loading and un,loading times. It also has the advantage of a 30minute schedule and if you arrive early, can often get an earlier train instead of sitting waiting. However, if your MH has an onboard lpg tank then check with Eurotunnel because as far as I remember they only allow lpg to be carried in cylinders secured in a rack in a locker. They do check these carefully as of course fire is a major threat to them. If you have dogs then they are with you in the MH during the jounrey so less likely to get upset. However, it is slightly more expensive although bargain fares are available if you travel at off peak times. Ferries are cheaper in general, but the total trip time is more than double the tunnel., and of course has the possibility of 'mal de mer' as a bonus.

The choice is yours to make.

Guest ChrisB
Dave225 - 2011-08-02 5:34 PM

..... However, if your MH has an onboard lpg tank then check with Eurotunnel because as far as I remember they only allow lpg to be carried in cylinders secured in a rack in a locker. .......

Fixed LPG tanks are no problem. They just check that they are turned off at the isolating valve - the same as for bottled LPG.

However I believe they still ban LPG-powered vehicles (even if part of a dual fuel conversion and the LPG tank is empty) which is where the confusion may arise.

In answer to the original question - Eurotunnel for us - no contest.

Used both, liked both. The tunnel is faster, both in crossing time as well as loading / unloading (when full, but not much in it if you travel in the small hours). The ferry, especially the Dover to Dunkirk crossing makes for a nice 2 hour break. Never had a rough crossing by ship, but been delayed in the tunnel twice for over an hour.

You pays your money and you takes your choice .............

For me having used both, its the ferry that comes out top, much nicer experience, and you can avoid the kids running around by upgrading to the posh lounge.

The dilemma I have, is I've now got £25 worth of Tesco vouchers, our next trip won't be until closer to the end of the year, so with a bit of luck I may have enough to pay for a free crossing using the tunnel, but I will hate it.

Got similar dilemma,want to holiday in France, but not going till May 2012.( Car+caravan+2 adults+dog) from Swansea. Looked at tesco vouchers for eurotunnel(£220) (Tesco £10 gives £30), then realised I could exchange for airmiles and use ferry. For a £400 ferry crossing I would need 8000 airmiles.(1000 airmiles gives £50 off). (Tesco 50 airmiles for £2.50). As you can see eurotunnel is the better deal at the moment, even though more travelling.

Off to Brittany next week with the grandkids. I live about 30 mins from Portsmouth ferry terminal but will be driving to Folkestone and then all the way back on t'other side.

We are using the tunnel mainly because of our dog. The last time I used a ferry I had to paddle through vomit on the toilet floor and said never again.

Guest pelmetman
We will be in Weymouth for Christmas so thought we would get a ferry from Pompey to Caen as I thought it would be cheaper than driving to the Chunnel.........................£4508-).............I'll be driving to the Chunnel then*-) 

Hi nell, welcome to the mad house! :-D

We've got dogs and have used the ferry and tunnel on numerous occasions, the tunnel wins easily - no contest.

Eurotunnel:

Our dogs are much happier as we stay with them; we can have a cuppa (water in flask) on the journey, relax and even have a snooze; the journey time is shorter; you can get an earlier/later crossing (up to 2 hours late) without a penalty and they will often let you on an earlier train if you arrive before your departure time. Not usually affected by the weather (except for the 'freezing' fiasco!). If you use your Tesco vouchers you can get 3x the face value of them towards the cost of your crossing, by going at less popular times you can get a one-way crossing from around £66 for a motorhome; you do have to pay £30 per dog in cash though (can't use vouchers). No admin fee for changing your booking unless you move to a more expensive time/leave it up to last minute when all the prices have gone up.

Ferry:

Can work out cheaper if you get one of the good deals but takes longer, and you usually have to arrive much earlier, unloading also can take ages; noisy and kids running around; a waste of at least 2 hours; have to 'mingle' in close proximity with the great unwashed! :D Can be affected by the weather, or give you a rough crossing. For each dog its usually £30 return but some only charge this for the return leg of the trip, although one only charges £15 per crossing (can't remember which one it is), so if you go out on a ferry who charges on the return journey (ie no outward dog cost), and return via the one who only charged £15 you're saving money, but you have to check this against the crossing cost for the outward/inward journeys as overall it might not work out cheaper.

Regarding the dog cost, next year the Passport rules are being relaxed, but I don't know if this will reduce the charge that the ferry/tunnel make for dogs etc ... we can but hope! *-)

Archived