Camos Crack-up Plus

JohnP

Hello John P

Had the Camos Flat Sat Plus professionally fitted in May 2010 together with Zehnder receiver and a Zehnder Sat Finder Meter. It folds flat and is then very low profile. I've had excellent reception across England from all along the south coast and as far north as Manchester and Yorkshire. Similarly in France (north east and west), Belgium, Holland and Germany as far East as Leipzig. With a little practice and a good compass, tuning is a cinch with the sat finder.

The really bad bits are that the design of this Camos unit is fundamentally flawed (but may have changed by now) there is a long cable (to facilitate dish rotation) from the unit which exits the dish and goes separately through the roof to the sat finder and receiver. This is a nighmare - it often drags through overhanging tree branches and in narrow country lanes I constantly fear it will be ripped out of the unit. It should have been designed by the manufacturuer to be self-contained within the dish's rotating capstan. The cable also fouls the inclination/declination mechanism and is prone to crushing by the hinged bracket.

The Zehnder sat finder is very effective but the audible signal strength volume knob is incredibly fragile and I am on my third, yes third, unit already so I would recommend you seek an alternative finder.

As you have had a Maxview system you will know this but for the possible benefit of newbies who may read this post it is not unusual to find that in wooded or tree lined sites, no signal can be obtained, 'cos of course, it's line of sight to the satellite only. A supply of DVD's, good books, a propensity for meditation or a witty and intelligent conversationalist companion is therefore recommended as a back-up plan.

Would I buy another of this design? No chance. Would I buy one that did not need the flappy cable? Yes, absolutely.

Bob

John

Had a Camos Twin plus fitted last year by Mark at Central Leisure Services. Never had any problems when a signal was "in view". As for the installation very neat on the van and no issues with the cables. If I could justify the money I would go for an automatic which are coming down in price,

Mike

Guest peter
Usinmyknaus - 2011-08-03 4:15 PM

Hello John P

The really bad bits are that the design of this Camos unit is fundamentally flawed (but may have changed by now) there is a long cable (to facilitate dish rotation) from the unit which exits the dish and goes separately through the roof to the sat finder and receiver. This is a nighmare - it often drags through overhanging tree branches and in narrow country lanes I constantly fear it will be ripped out of the unit. It should have been designed by the manufacturuer to be self-contained within the dish's rotating capstan. The cable also fouls the inclination/declination mechanism and is prone to crushing by the hinged bracket.

Bob

As Michael Caine would have said "you're not supposed to drive it through bloody hedges Bob." :D The one on my last van was brilliant. Dave Newell has one as well and he knows what's good or not.

peter - 2011-08-03 10:17 PM

Usinmyknaus - 2011-08-03 4:15 PM

Hello John P

Bob

As Michael Caine would have said "you're not supposed to drive it through bloody hedges Bob." :D The one on my last van was brilliant. Dave Newell has one as well and he knows what's good or not.

Hello Peter. Well I try not to drive through hedges but with the Local Authorities' and landowners around here, and in my usual weekend haunts, appearing to have reduced hedge and tree cutting programmes there is no choice. It is common too, to find branches across the field entrances to CL and CS sites I use (last weekend for example). Even the road leading to my house has four places where I have to push the van through rampant foliage. I was going to take matters into my own hands and cut back the worst branches over the highway when I read in the newspaper that someone else had received a police warning for "criminal damage" for doing just that.........

Apart from the flappy cable - which I have stuck to the roof with stick tabs several times only to have it pulled off again by cable-eating trees - the Camos works very well. I stick to my guns and still say it is a fundamental design flaw to have a cable flapping in the breeze, 3 metres off the ground on vehicles which may spend a fair proportion of their working lives in narrow rural lanes and that it should not be beyond the wit of product design engineers to solve.

Bob

ps I've just remembered that Skeggy's moto was "It's really bracing" so perhaps all the trees near you blow over before they get to cable-snatching height? ;-) :-)

Usinmyknaus - 2011-08-04 9:37 AM
peter - 2011-08-03 10:17 PM
Usinmyknaus - 2011-08-03 4:15 PM Hello John P The really bad bits are that the design of this Camos unit is fundamentally flawed (but may have changed by now) there is a long cable (to facilitate dish rotation) from the unit which exits the dish and goes separately through the roof to the sat finder and receiver. This is a nighmare - it often drags through overhanging tree branches and in narrow country lanes I constantly fear it will be ripped out of the unit. It should have been designed by the manufacturuer to be self-contained within the dish's rotating capstan. The cable also fouls the inclination/declination mechanism and is prone to crushing by the hinged bracket. Bob
Hello Peter. Well I try not to drive through hedges but with the Local Authorities' and landowners around here, and in my usual weekend haunts, appearing to have reduced hedge and tree cutting programmes there is no choice. It is common too, to find branches across the field entrances to CL and CS sites I use (last weekend for example). Even the road leading to my house has four places where I have to push the van through rampant foliage. I was going to take matters into my own hands and cut back the worst branches over the highway when I read in the newspaper that someone else had received a police warning for "criminal damage" for doing just that......... Apart from the flappy cable - which I have stuck to the roof with stick tabs several times only to have it pulled off again by cable-eating trees - the Camos works very well. I stick to my guns and still say it is a fundamental design flaw to have a cable flapping in the breeze, 3 metres off the ground on vehicles which may spend a fair proportion of their working lives in narrow rural lanes and that it should not be beyond the wit of product design engineers to solve. Bob ps I've just remembered that Skeggy's moto was "It's really bracing" so perhaps all the trees near you blow over before they get to cable-snatching height? ;-) :-)
I expect Dave Newell may have a comment re the (dodgy?) fitting of your particular unit.

We have this model (not installed by Dave) and it does have 2 cables (it's a twin LNB model for our Sky+ HD box) but these are routed through a hole in the stem of the unit which stops the cable(s) fouling the mechanism during operation.

AFAIK we have never had any issue with cables snagging during transit or parking on site.

Great little unit which has worked well in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark - not forgetting the UK. We have a sat finder permanently connected in line on one of the cable which makes alignment pretty straightforward.

I would recommend it on a price/quality basis - does what it says on the tin.

Hi Chris.Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the stem on my van's unit to see if there is another option. I do not criticise, or name the fitter but simply flag the issue for the OP to take into account. I feel that the design is flawed in that the electrical connections would be better if they went through the dish's mount rather than exiting the dish and standing above the roof. I agree very much with you that on a price/usabilty/quality basis the system is a good buy, if the flappy cable was cured, it would be brilliant in my opinion.

Bob

Hi, We have the crank up Camos flat dish on top of the Autocruise Stargazer.

We haven't (yet) had trouble catching trees and the cable feed is routed via the relevant hole in the mounting as per instructions, and is reinforced with what is called flexible conduit. This is then routed across the van roof in a small section rigid plastic conduit which is stuck to the roof, protecting both the cable and the flexible conduit.. The only "loose"part is just enough to enable elevation and rotation of the flat dish,.

We use a sky minibox to catch the signal and feed it into Avtec receiver via scart input.

Main difficulty is the sluggish response of minibox to final tweeks to align the signal. The satfinder squeals loudly, but the minibox take a minute or therabouts to decode and give a strength and quality reading. Also, minibox wont find all freesat signals, being tied to Sky. (hate it) (must get a proper Freesat box)

tonyg3nwl

Archived