Insurence quiery

nightrider

last year I had a scrape with a gate post in the van I use for my work I submitted a claim to my insurence company which they paid for the damage, on renewing my insurence policy i lost my 5 years plus no claims bonus and my insurence quote went through the roof, I then insured through another company at a slightly lower quote with having only 2 years NCB.

I insure my campervan with a completely different company and this is what I want to know? does the loss of my NCB on my work van effect any vehicle that I own such as my camper?

Guest pelmetman

I think you'll find that your be obliged to tell them of your scrape Malcolm when your campervan renewal becomes due. 

I have 3 vehicles and they always ask if I've had any accidents within the last 5 years regardless of fault...................Best to clear your yard arm, as no doubt they will use any excuse not to pay out if that gate post jumps out in front of you again:D 

Guest Tracker

Categorically no - NCD applies specifically to any and every vehicle or policy on which it has been earned or granted.

However when you tell the insurers of your other vehicles of your scrape - and you ought to tell them just in case they find out from the national insurance database - they might choose to load the premium if they consider you to be an increased risk - or they may not?

I don't see any reason why YOU should deem it "relevant" if there's just a general question about "other relevant information," but as Dave says, it's likely you'll be asked a specific question along the lines of "Have you had ANY accidents, claims or convictions in the last x yrs?" - in which case, come clean. Lying to them ain't worth it!

Insurance Companies can and do make a search on a common data base for any previous accidents.

They all put any claims on that data base and they all use it to check for any claims you might have "forgot". They might not use it for every claim or for small claims, I don't know, but they do use it.

Someone "T Boned" my car, when I renewed my insurance on the m/home the renewal (different company) noted that the claim was "no fault" and would be ignored. I didn't tell them!

H

After making a claim on my van insurence I was reduced down to 2 years NCB, on Sept the 24th when my insurence is renewed I will then have 3 years NCB. I am buying a transit van for my work but intend to keep my present van to use as a personal vehicle.

I will be able to transfer my 3 years NCB to the transit van and when I insure my other van for personal use I be be down to zero NCB so it looks as though it will be costly.

If you have not previously owned and insured two vehicles, then you are likely to find the second vehicle has to "earn" its own NCD.

You may be charged a higher premium on the second vehicle, and/or on the renewal of insurance on the first, if the company considers your claim indicates that you are now a higher risk driver than you were before you claimed.

If both vehicles will be owned, insured, and driven, only by you (especially if both are normally parked on your own land when not in use) I'd suggest you shop around, because you may find a company prepared to give you a competitive quote for both, to get your business, on the basis that you can only drive one at a time!

You may also find the NCD earned on the first van will be matched on the second van, if a company wants your business, or if your present insurer wants to keep your business.

It is a funny old business, insurance, and I have never been able to understand the logic that underpins some quotes. For example, if you contact your existing insurer as a new client, and ask for a quote, you may find you are quoted less than they were asking for on renewal. If that is pointed out to them, it is not uncommon for them to agree to renew for the lower figure, rather than have you walk away. I've come to the conclusion actual premiums owe more to alchemy, than to any known branch of science! :-)

You should ALWAYS tell your insurance company of ANY claims you have made on ANY vehicle policy within the period of time they are enquiring about.

When we renewed our car insurance a few years ago, we were asked about any claims and told them of the claim we'd made for the motorhome (when it was vandalised) and were told that it was something which should definitely be declared. Although it made no difference to the premium, at least it was on the record so in the event that we may have had to make a claim on the car, they wouldn't have been able to back out due to us not disclosing something.

Honesty is definitely the best policy when it comes to insurance, otherwise it could cost you a lot more than a bit of a rise in the premium. 8-)

Archived