Mercedes bump stops

hymer1942

Presumably you are worrying about the apparent lack of suspension movement before the axle hits the bump stops. It might be due to the springs sagging but the first thing to do is visit a weghbridge and check individual axle weights to make sure its not due to overloading. The legal maximum allowable rear axle weight will be shown on line four of the MB VIN plate.

Its frequently the case that manufacturers specify what the ride height should be when the vehicle carries a specific load. Sometimes the weight specified is lower than the ULW of a motorcaravan.

Some specify ride hight at a range of weights up to the maximum.

Guest peter
Put air suspension on it £500 fittedand you can set your own height. Plus better ride. Had it fitted to my merc' and haven't looked back. Mine was clonking the stops as I could see the marks on them when they were removed to fit the air set up.

sounds as though you are well loaded ,a bit like my old talbot was , i put air suspension on and cured the problem and also got a more stable ride especially when cornering , very easy to fit if you are a bit of a d i y er , and can be obtained quite reasonably if you shop around , mine came from Ireland but appeared to be exactly the same as a well known manufacturer , and were considerably cheaper

ride rite by firestone about £250- £300 a kit , you can pump em up with a small electric or foot pump in seconds , great for when carrying motorcycle i just put a bit more puff in them ,

Hi,
The component you refer to on the Mercedes Sprinter as a bump stop is actually an auxiliary spring.  The approx distance is 20/25mm. You may have to much pressure on the rear air bags, drop it a little and see.Aftermarket kits are available if you want a higher ride hight for your Motorhomes year. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Brendan

Hi,
The bump stop as we know it , is low on a lot of those models,even without overloading the front axle.If it is handling well and not wearing tyres, not a lot to worry about. There is an aftermarket kit that will raise the height. Have it look first, or have a chat with a Mercedes dealer close to you to confirm they ride low.
Regards,
Brendan 

Archived