Will todays generation of vans still be around in 20 years

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Travelling Tyke - 2011-08-08 10:28 AMHello,Some will, some will not.........Our van is over halfway there and I'm sure it'll manage the next 9 years.........and more.I'm determined to get the cost -per-night usage down as low as I can. :-D
Keeping your van for as long as possible is the way to making Motorhoming an economical hobby:D
My FIL paid £20,600 for our van in 1990, I saw a van similar to ours advertised in MMM last month for I think £5,500 which assuming he got the price equates to a depreciation of £15,100............................£719 a year:D......add servicing road tax etc = a annual cost of this hobby excluding campsites fuel etc works out roughly at about £1200 a year................I expect some people spend more than that on handbags(lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think the words "motorhoming and economic" hardly go together really. Now a frame tent, maybe, but how many nights would anyone want to spend in one of those. IMO older vans come into that category having owned a few over the years. Perhaps I could have kept my old LGV pop top going all of these years,and lived in ignorance of the newer technology and far superior road holding and general comfort, ditto my Vauxhall Cavalier diesel that sounded like a traction engine. I've no doubt some of these old vans are still giving the owners some enjoyment, but trust me they are dinosaurs compared to their more modern equivalents, I was truly astonished at the extra refinement when I changed up to a modern JTD, (well modern for me 2003 from a 1999 1.9 TD). And sorry but in 2023 it will in my view be another dinosaur even if it is still around :-|

pelmetman - 2011-08-08 12:16 PM

rupert123 - 2011-08-08 12:06 PM
peter - 2011-08-07 10:36 PMDid you know that a Mercedes sprinter is way way cheaper to maintain and service than the fiat. Makes you think don't it?.
Really Peter, where did this come from? Not really the subject of the thread and I assume you are refering to fairly new vans. My X250 based van repair bills have been over a 3.5 year period and 29,000 miles, one set brake pads, two tyres, one mirror which I broke myself, even warrenty work pretty much none. The yearly service on the base vehicle works out at around £125 with parts at Dave Newells. Would be interested to see how the Mercedes beats this.
I think that's the secret Rupert:D.............Your using Dave Newell, not a main dealer;-) 

Pros and Cons for every make but my VW LT is apart from the VW engine basically a Sprinter. 37,000 miles in last six years. Just renewed the tyres due to age although still legal tread depth. All pads and discs as when I bought it with 27,000 on clock. Virtually no disc wear and almost half depth of pads to go. Ps Feet size 11 and I like mountain driving.

Cam belt change when van was 10 years old took breath away though. Sprinter has a chain.

Hi, I do belive they will last; as us Motorhomers will make sure that they do!

I hope that "Big Olga" will still be around in another 20 years and me too!

Mercedes benz 207d 2.4 left hand drive, auto, two berth motor home, power steering, disc brakes, air con, 36,000 miles 32years old!!! ---- WHO CAN BEAT THAT!

Best Wishes Dave And " Big Olga"

Archived