where to take the grandchildren

trickydicky

hi, have promised to take the grandkids away for a couple of nights in our new motorhome sometime during the holidays.......but we just don't know where to take them.we want somewhere local,preferably walking disance to the coast.or some other attraction......we live in the north west.1 hr drive from blackpool (prefer not to go there). any ideas/ campsites would be extremely welcome please

A good 2hr run but if you are in the Caravan Club and you can get on their site at York, its just a few minutes walk into the city. Great for all ages. You don't have to be members but it costs more if you are not and it is a very popular site

Ring the site

Dave

trickydicky - 2011-08-05 7:10 PM

thnaks for that dave...no we don't belong to the caravan club.never been to york....might be worth considering though

The Jorvik center is good for all ages and not to expensive, you can go online to find out the prices. There is a family of 4 price also family of 5 price. For a bit more you can get a pass that lets you go into 3 more places and the tickets last all year and you can go as many times has you like, which makes it great value, Look for (YAT) York Archaeological Trust on their web site.

I think the Cathedral is expensive.

Trip on the river.

National Railway museum.

Walk around the city walls.

In other words plenty to keep the kids happy, and also the grandchildren :-D

And its mostly all on the flat so easy walking.

If you just go for the day, there is an area just outside the city walls near the Cliffords Tower where you can park your van. Pay & Display but not expensive.

Another place is the Science Museum in Manchester. That will pass a few hrs on. Give me a pm if you think of going there.

Dave

Guest pelmetman
York site can flood, so keep an eye on the weather as they have had flash floods just down the road near Hull yesterday:-S

trickydicky - 2011-08-04 6:57 PM

hi, have promised to take the grandkids away for a couple of nights in our new motorhome sometime during the holidays.......but we just don't know where to take them./QUOTE]

Sorry if this sounds negative but you haven't mentioned the grandchildren's ages or interests. If appropriate, have you asked THEM where they might like to go or what they would like to do?

If you would like further suggestions then ages and interests would be useful. It may also be appropriate to give your location more clearly as "the North West" covers a large area. Given your travel time idea such information may lead to loads of very helpful suggestions.

Wherever you decide to go I hope you and the grandchildren have a super time.

ha ha.....mel,it's difficult for us as we have a grandson aged 5 and a granddaughter aged 11 !!!!! so as you can proberly appreciate it is very difficult to find somewhere to go that suits them both....that's why the coast springs to mind.we would love to take them to st annes near blackpool but, alas, there is nowhere within walking distance to stay overnight and we can't use public transport as my other half and my grandson both suffer enormously from travel sickness.

Archived