Tesco Credit Card and insurance

Mel B

Not specifically motorhome related I know, but as it relates to home insurance and many of us use Tesco to get our lovely Clubcard Points to put towards our Euro Tunnel etc crossings, it's sorta related! :D

Below, the first is about insurance and even if this isn't applicable to you, the second one about credit cards could affect everyone with a Tesco credit card so please read it.

Insurance

This week hubby's renewed our home insurance with Tesco (2nd year) which is a very, very good policy (60 days away, and good cover - worth checking out if you're looking for insurance), but the 2nd year premium was originally going to be £447 which was over £100 more than last time. Upon checking around he found other policies, not identical but close enough for comparison, for anywhere up to £100 less. Before cancelling the renewal I had a shuftie at the paperwork and found that the new policy didn't have us down as having 5 level locks on the doors, or any excess on it at all except for £25 for accidentail damage and £1000 for subsidence, everything else was £0. On the original policy we had the 5 lever locks mentioned, a £1000 excess for subsidence and £50 excess for everything else.

When hubby rang Tesco again in the morning he found that they had changed to new underwriters and they had changed some of the policy excesses, hence our increased premium and wrong info. Once we put an excess of £50 on the policy for everything except subsidence, the cost came down to £337 and for good measure they gave us legal cover for nothing to make up for the hassle.

This brings me on to the credit card info which is something you should all check out:

Credit card

Hubby has been having fun and games with his Tesco card for a while as it kept saying it was blocked and wouldn't work, on calling the Support services, he was told it was okay and there wasn't a block on it.

This week he used the Tesco credit card to pay for the Tesco insurance, as we were with them last time they already had the card details in there system so simply used them again, no problemo ... or so we thought. He tried to use his card again to pay for something on-line but found it wasn't accepted, even though it was still in date, so called Tesco up and eventually found out that on the new credit card they've issued, for some reason they've changed the card number, making the old number invalid - this meant that the insurance policy he had paid for using the card already logged with them, wasn't actually paid for at all but had been rejected ... he was told he would have got a letter anyway about it, but had we gone on holiday before it arrived, we could easily have ended up with NO house insurance!!!

8-)

So, if you have got a new Tesco Credit Card (anytime within the last 6 months or so) check the long number is the same as your old one. It will also mean that if you use your credit card on-line and have the number stored (ie such as Paypal, or auto-renewals for insurance, subscriptions etc) you'll need to change them to the new number.

Our house insurance is with M&S renewal came through at £354, I did a quote online it came up with £236, rung them up they said their are always offers on line & the price can vary, you can take out a new policy online and cancel this one, so I did.

In March Tesco CC changed from Visa to MasterCard so existing customers were given new cards with new numbers. Caused us loads of hassle as we use it to pay for nearly everything to collect the air miles, up to over 36,000 air miles and never paid them a penny in interest.

lennyhb - 2011-08-04 11:06 PM

In March Tesco CC changed from Visa to MasterCard so existing customers were given new cards with new numbers. Caused us loads of hassle as we use it to pay for nearly everything to collect the air miles, up to over 36,000 air miles and never paid them a penny in interest.

If you particularly want a Visa credit card they will provide one. They keep trying to get me to change to Mastercard but after a phone call they agree to me having a Visa. Also having had my Tesco card compromised a couple of times they always send cards with new numbers.

David

lennyhb - 2011-08-04 11:06 PM

Our house insurance is with M&S renewal came through at £354, I did a quote online it came up with £236, rung them up they said their are always offers on line & the price can vary, you can take out a new policy online and cancel this one, so I did.

Had the same thing with my car ins,came higher so went online and got it £100 cheaper. Use my tesco card for everything food,petrol,shopping and pay it off no interest at end of month-it's called Stoozing.

When interest on savings was good I made £283 out of the credit cards one year. And we get the points as well-double bubble :-D

If you particularly want a Visa credit card they will provide one. They keep trying to get me to change to Mastercard but after a phone call they agree to me having a Visa. Also having had my Tesco card compromised a couple of times they always send cards with new numbers.

David

We had our Tesco card compromised recently, and i have to give full marks to Tesco Fraud department for the imeediate action they took in notifying us of a potential fraud.

The new card (still Mastercard) was sent immediately, and as mentioned earlier, has a new long number.We do not have any 'auto' payments (as far as I can remember!), but the accompanying letter does warn that if you do have certain of these you need to set them up again on the new number. Also, it reminds you that if you have a card protection scheme, you need to advise that institution of the change of card number.

Archived