Table ... what to do! Advice please

Mel B

pepe63 - 2011-09-22 7:17 PM

That's a very good price,Mel.. ;-)

I assume that the area it'll end up being fixed to,is strong enough to take the fixings..?

(...as,with the leverage involved, it will put a fair amount of stress on the fixing on the top bracket...)

:-S

Yup - I can actually take the top off the bit of furniture that it will be attached to, so I'll make a plate to go on the inside just to make sure.

flicka - 2011-09-22 9:01 PM

Glad you got sorted, Mel.

Not able to see what you actually got as it has already dissappeared off "fleabay"

Did you find a suitable Table top ?

Picture below - it cost £37.44 and is new and unused, plus £5 for my courier pick-up.

No table top but I'll either have something in my workshop already, or I'll get something from a car boot sale or charity shop I'm sure! :-D

28236986_tableleg.jpg.0183e5770bbfebc6e31e46548991d0ea.jpg

I must say our new AutoTrail has free standing table as opposed to the fixed table on our previous Rapido and we love it. It takes just 20 seconds to fold and put away and the same to get it out for use. When stowed it makes for so much more room in the motorhome and has the additional value of being able to use it outside thus removing the need to carry a second table for that purpose.

That looks like a real bargain, Mel.

Nearly half the price of Magnum & O'Learyand more substantial into the bargain.

Our table top (from Magnum's) is solid plywood with a laminate top & edging trim, some are "hollow" construction. so you would need a solid fixing plate if you go for a hollow construction.

But I guess you knew that ;-)

Hi John, yes I've already thought of that - our current table is well wrapped up to protect it from the doggies - it has some worktop protector cusioning on and then a PVC tablecloth over that. Not sure if I'll do the same with the replacement table though, it'll depend on what I eventually end up using I suppose.

If the table top is hollow I'd have already thought of sticking the top plate on rather than screwing it anyway, but I'd prefer something a bit more solid if I can get it ... I must have a rummage in my workshop! :-S

Been doing some 'jobs' on the camper again today, the main one is putting in an extra piece of removable worktop near the bed. The bed base has separate upper (rear) and lower (front) panels - with the upper one going up and down behind the front lower panel as you raise/lower it, however as we normally have it in the 'middle' of the range there's normally a gap of about 8-10 inches between the actual base of the bed (frame/mattress) and the top of the lower bed base panel, leaving a nice 'edge' above the steps and along the right side which has been crying out for me to make a piece of removable worktop to sit on it!

Anyway, when we were in France I picked up a nice new wooden kitchen door for 2 euros in a closely matching colour to the existing panels, so I've used this to make the worktop which sit on the top of the 'edge' and I've shaped it to fit round the curve of the shower/toilet compartment on the right so is a nice snug fit. To support the left side, I've used a plastic shelf support hinge which I had already that folds away against the base panel when not in use and won't impede getting in/out of bed. The only other thing I've done is put some stick-on pads along the base, back and right side of the removable worktop so it won't scuff/mark the existing furniture panels.

I think that makes sense - the photos will help explain more!

edge.JPG.0f2ea9d0bab90ec7b6a27775f870058a.JPG

worktop.JPG.db878a91110bbcd4c68a95b86a76a831.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
We have a chasson 97 and are going to remove the fixed table and get one that we can put away, mainly because the dog sits on the seat when travelling and being made of short stuff I cannot reach him, if he needs attention. Also when settling down at night we find that it gets in the way. That is only our opinion each to his own.

• 3 weeks later...

Had quite a fruitful weekend

I've finally installed the swivel table leg and put a table top on it - £4 from a car boot sale yesterday :-D and have added a piece of matching contiboard off a bust TV stand to give it some strength underneath. I've cut the top down a little by taking about 6" off so it has a flat edge to it to reduce the size but still make it a sensible usable size and means that 2 could still sit on the dinette seat and eat with the flat edge facing them. I've also off-set the top attachment (which just plops on the leg), so that by swivelling it we can have it close to both front seats if we want to eat there. If needs be and it's still a bit big I can trim the opposite edge to match the straight side to make a 'lozenge' shape .. .not doing it yet as I can chop it off, but can't easily put it back on so I'll see how we get on with it. When I get the chance to tidy up I'll take some photos ... camper looks like a bomb has hit it at the moment. :D

Also, using the timber offcut from when I made the removable worktop near the bed, I've now made small 'shelf flap' which is attached to the table wall rail timber (I removed the plastic table rail) and can be put up/down as required. It means that even when we want to remove the table, we'll still have somewhere to put drinks etc, also, if we need more space when using the table, we can use the flap with it as I've done it so the table just goes underneath it and means I don't have to put the flap out of the way if I want to swivel the table ... gotta think of these things you know!!!

If I want to remove the swivel table and the flap in the future I already have some matching cover up sticky patches to make it look virtually as good as new so as not to spoil it for any future owner (probably not for a long time though!). *-)

Just got to work out how to stop our bit and little 'elephants' Romy and Lily trying to jump on it ...! 8-)

Guest pelmetman
I noticed that:D.........Can we have a picture of the van please Mel, as looking at the passenger seat;-) I suspect you have fixed some mock tudor beams to the outside(lol)

pelmetman - 2011-10-26 6:09 PM

I noticed that:D.........Can we have a picture of the van please Mel, as looking at the passenger seat;-) I suspect you have fixed some mock tudor beams to the outside(lol)

You twit! That's the ruddy seat-belt!!!! *-) You really, really need to go to specsavers. 8-) ;-)

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2011-10-26 8:12 PM

You twit! That's the ruddy seat-belt!!!! *-) You really, really need to go to specksavers. 8-) ;-)

And you need to go to spellcheckers as well as specsavers Mel!

I think he means the leaded lights in the lounge dining area not the mock tudor beam in the cab window?

Must do wonders for your payload!

Robinhood - 2011-10-26 5:57 PM

You've done a particularly good job of "leading" the motorhome windows, Mel.

;-)

pepe63 - 2011-10-26 6:02 PM

I thought that...I didn't realise Chausson did limited edition "Elizabethan" models... (lol)

(..Oh!..and you've made a very good job of the table Mel.. :-) )

You two are only jealous!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2011-10-26 8:20 PM

I think you need to go to specsavers Rich ... read again what he said about near the passenger seat! :-> :-> :-> :->

I just did Mel - and it still reads the same to me?

Are you sure you have not got Chris's specs mixed up with your own!

Thanks Bob :D

Hubby has just had a chap come to get something from him and he turned out to be a landscaper, so hubby had him have a look at a large conifer in our garden, called 'rocket' ... after all these years now we know why! Anyway, it needs a lot of it chopping off, probably about 20ft, leaving around 10ft, chap has quoted £40 to do it and take away the rubbish ... me ... I'm thinking of getting my electric Black and Decker Scorpion saw out ... hmmmmmm ... should I, or shouldn't I .... :-S

Mel B - 2011-10-27 5:51 PM

Hubby has just had a chap come to get something from him and he turned out to be a landscaper, so hubby had him have a look at a large conifer in our garden, called 'rocket' ... after all these years now we know why! Anyway, it needs a lot of it chopping off, probably about 20ft, leaving around 10ft, chap has quoted £40 to do it and take away the rubbish ... me ... I'm thinking of getting my electric Black and Decker Scorpion saw out ... hmmmmmm ... should I, or shouldn't I .... :-S

Don't do it Mel, dangerous job tree cutting. I would have said £40 very good. We paid £100 for having a Eucaliptus tree felled, and you can climb them!. You could have the cut off top for your Christmas Tree!!

Your Dogs would love it! (Good job they are Female)

P

PJay - 2011-10-27 6:55 PM

Mel B - 2011-10-27 5:51 PM

Don't do it Mel, dangerous job tree cutting. I would have said £40 very good. We paid £100 for having a Eucaliptus tree felled, and you can climb them!. You could have the cut off top for your Christmas Tree!!

Your Dogs would love it! (Good job they are Female)

P

I didn't think £40 seemed a bad price for it. :-S

I often go up trees with my saw! :D I recently cut down another conifer, not as big though, but I can climb on the roof next to the 'rocket' to get at it easier ... I'm also going to 'treat' myself to some of those '14 way' ladder thingies as I've got our other row of conifers to 'top' at the end of the garden and it will make it easier that trying to wrestle a 20ft 2 piece 'standard' aluminum ladder into place without destroying the plants in front of them.

Good idea about the 'Christmas tree' though ... hadn't thought of that. :->

Archived