Problem exiting French Aire

Shaun

Valery sur Somme it was, on the north Normandy coast. A car park type of aire, yes, but a very agreeable one nonetheless. After a couple of nights there, It was time to head to Calais for our Channel crossing. But with the exit barrier firmly down, the ticket machine displayed the message that it wasn't functioning.

A German was first in the queue to leave the aire and had to await a French speaking person to use the ticket machine's intercom to tell whomever that the machine wasn't working, so no-one could pay to raise the exit barrier.

It was the best part of an hour before the French municipal police arrived at the aire. I thought they'd just lift the barrier and let everyone out, given the long queue of motorhomes waiting to exit, but no chance. They took their time, clearing what appeared to be either an exhausted or stuck ticket roll.

With our crossing looming, I was becoming rather stressed and had to endure the painful wait as everyone in front paid and left. Finally, once through, it took the fastest journey ever in our motorhome to make the crossing on time, and all due to a knackered ticket machine and a barrier which couldn't be opened.

Annoyingly, just across the bay we'd stayed at a different aire at the start of our French holiday (Le Cretoy), and we could so easily have gone there again for the last day on the way home. That aire has no such barriers, so the in and out has no issues.

A few days earlier, we also stayed at another aire (Le Treport) which was controlled not by a barrier but the rise and fall of a bollard. Again, if the machine had failed, there would have been no easy way out.

I'm not sure if I'm just relaying the hassle surrounding this daft situation or raising questions, but I found it very disconcerting that so many people were stuck because of a malfunctioning ticket machine. On a serious note, with the long queue of nose to tail motorhomes waiting to exit, an emergency exit could have been a major issue.

And all to stop people leaving without paying a few euros.

What gives?

Shaun

I suppose the lesson is never to rely on a barrier exit on the morning of your ferry.

We have often stayed on a site near the ferry at Ouistreham where we have to leave at 7a.m.

The exit barrier is 'automatic' but I always hold my breath until it lets us out.

(At least there are staff on site who could open it.)

Hi

I stayed at Valery sur Somme last september and also had trouble with the barrier then, i was helped by a very nice french man who spoke to the person through the machine and a policeman arrived in about 2 mins and had us out in 2 or 3 mins

There must have been cases where people have suffered significant losses through these wretched machines malfunctioning.

It is worth knowing that the barrier type can by forced up and open by hand in an emergency without having to wait for someone to come and release you (don't know how to deal with the bollard sort of exit barrier though). :-(

We usually splash out on a municipal site if we have to be out in the morning - they open at stupid o'clock and there is little chance of being stuck behind a computer controlled barricade.

But if you need to save a few bob and don't mind the squeeze the aires are ok.

Last year, in September, at the same aire in Valery sur Somme, I was warned from entering the aire by another irate motorhomer who was already stuck inside the aire due to the same problem. He had tried to call the French authorities by phone, but being lunchtime, had received no response. After a quick discussion, and with no means of escape, he positioned himself close to the wrong side of the 'entry lane' barrier, whilst I drove slowly towards the barrier. When the barrier lifted to let me in, I engaged reverse gear and backed up the entry lane, whilst he drove out. So the problem still remains.

When the police arrived, they drove up to the entry barrier but that didn't open either, so both sides were stuck. They used an override card by the looks of it, which then caused the entry barrier to raise.

The barrier itself was only held in place by four bog-standard bolts, which could easily have been undone. However, the security cameras put everyone off doing this.

Well now I know this aire has gained some notoriety, I'll avoid it in future on return crossing days. In fact, I'll avoid any aire which is capable of locking motorhomers in.

Shaun

aultymer - 2011-08-06 10:48 PM

We usually splash out on a municipal site if we have to be out in the morning - they open at stupid o'clock and there is little chance of being stuck behind a computer controlled barricade.

But if you need to save a few bob and don't mind the squeeze the aires are ok.

..... except the one at Valery sur Somme ?

;-)

onecal - 2011-08-06 7:59 PM

Hi,

I think we blame the electronics for everything but it's common for the toilet (ticket) roll to jam  in these machines. Progress I am afraid, less staff salary to pay and less getting away without paying.
Regards,
Brendan

Which proves that " progress " is not always necessarily an improvement.

We tend to stay on the aire at Calais on our last night, as we like to have an early departure to the uK (Ok, yes we're mad!!),and I always wonder when they will install a barrier on that one...surely can only be a matter of time....after all how often does one go to the Municipal Campsite reception to pay your dues and find it's closed.

Actually when we returned a couple of weeks ago, we did find it open, and oddly enough, were told someone was already patrolling the aire to collects euros from us. No probelm, however, we just paid at the office and got our receipt, and they took a note of our Reg No so that it showed on the 'master' list when the warden got back!

One thing which did cause us some concern though - there were some unmarked 'white vans' with I think Romanian/Czech reg plates parked in spaces on the aire......don't know whether they were charged/paid or not, but they certainly were not motor homes.....any one else noticed this?

Keith T

The aire at Calais was initially free, then they started charging and installed a barrier system (about 4 years ago). The barrier had to be opened by going to the adjacent site and paying, however there were so many folk departing in the small hours that the barrier was being repetedly damaged and so it has now been removed.

The aire is still free when the adjacent site is closed between November and Easter.

spospe - 2011-08-07 4:11 PM

Keith T

The aire at Calais was initially free, then they started charging and installed a barrier system (about 4 years ago). The barrier had to be opened by going to the adjacent site and paying, however there were so many folk departing in the small hours that the barrier was being repetedly damaged and so it has now been removed.

The aire is still free when the adjacent site is closed between November and Easter.

Hi Michael

Thats interesting - having only used Dover in the last 3 years (we used to live in Cornwall so Dover wasnt an option!!), I was not aware of that.....I did notice it was 'free' off season.It's a good spot though, and sometimes you don't get charged, it seems, even in season------if you arrive too late and depart too earlythe next morning for the warden to put a ticket on your windscreen!

I am a bit surprised they don't operate a 'non-barrier, but pay' system like the ones at Le Touquet, and various other places we came stopped off...in my naivity, I would like to think that most Motorhomers are honest and would pay if there is a machine,and then the warden just checks the ticket in your windscreen. On 2nd thoughts, maybe its only the Brits who would pay!!

Shaun - 2011-08-07 9:30 AM  The barrier itself was only held in place by four bog-standard bolts, which could easily have been undone. However, the security cameras put everyone off doing this.  Shaun

There shall be a nameless Hymer driver who, last week', went to collect some visitors at Bergerac Airport. After paying at the barrier and collecting his receipt etc, he drove forwards-so used to the barrier lifting- only to hear a clatter. looked down, jumped out and removed the barrier from the road , as you say only held on by 4 bolts in slots. No damage but can he go back tomorrow?:-)

Archived