Garmin updates

John.N

I bought a 'for life' programme of quarterly updates for my three year old Garmin satnav. I have downoaded it on to my laptop but when it comes to installing the latest updates the process comes to a halt. The leaflet says that it is not compatible with a 64-bit browser which my six month old lap top apparently has. It seems inconceivable that two pieces of (relatively) modern equipment will not talk to each other.

Please, in words of one syllable, what to do now? My computer literacy is rather limited.

You should have two Internet Explorer browsers with a 64-bit system. A 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. You'll just need to use the 32-bit version when you do your upgrades.

There is usually one version on the Taskbar at the bottom left of the screen and the other version is usually on the Start Menu (click the button bottom left).

They look identical in operation but I dont think the 64-bit version is compatible with Flash yet. Also, I'm pretty sure the 64-bit version says "Internet Explorer (64-bit)".

You'd be better off only using the 32-bit version as everything (including your Garmin program) is compatible.

If you want to find out which version is which, start the program and click Help | About Internet Explorer and it will say 64-bit for the 64-bit version - see images below.

1442507152_64-bitversion.jpg.249f7ab310585a1fd5746f03c9d1a8e5.jpg

502716982_32.bitversion.jpg.447136439c5406b331e95937d64dacb5.jpg

Archived