Municpals 1 hr. from Calais ?

malc d

Can anyone recommend any municipal, or 2-3 star sites, within an hour or so to the south or south west of Calais.

Haven't used Calais for some years now so I'm a bit out of touch with that area.

Thanks

( Oh dear - Have just seen the spelling mistake in the subject !)

Not sure quite where you are looking, or indeed when.....but I would suggest there are loads of them, though at teh present time and for the next couple of weeks, many will be full, so it may be a case of drive there and see (or phone in advance). Other than that, if you are in the CC, have a look on the Calais area map, and select a few 'destinations'...there are some really beautiful places on the coast road down (D940) paticulary the stretch to Boulogne then perhasp a bit less so towards Le Touquet - also quite a few Aires along there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Keith.

I expect to be going at the end of August.

Sounds like the D940 is the way for me to go.

Cheers

p.s. I've got an old CC book somewhere - I'll have to dig it out - may just be a bit out of date.

malc d - 2011-08-07 12:35 PM

Can anyone recommend any municipal, or 2-3 star sites, within an hour or so to the south or south west of Calais.

Haven't used Calais for some years now so I'm a bit out of touch with that area.

Thanks

( Oh dear - Have just seen the spelling mistake in the subject !)

Montreuil Sur Mer, Camping La Fontaine des Clercs on the N1. Nice small site, basic facilities but right under the town walls and nice small town to walk around, their is also a supermarket and petrol station you can stock up at here, we have stayed three times for a couple of nights. Bit more than an hour but the municipal at Etratat, right on the edge of town, is a really nice site and Etratat is again a nice small town with great walks along the chalk cliffs. Their is also an aire right next door with marked out places but no hookups.

Might be too far for you, 1.5 hours, but an overnight we use is at Neufchâtel en Brey. Not far from the motorway (free after Amien) but would recomend it as a stop. It is in the current ACSI book at 11Euro per night.

Bas

malc d - 2011-08-07 2:37 PM

Thanks Keith.

I expect to be going at the end of August.

Sounds like the D940 is the way for me to go.

Cheers

p.s. I've got an old CC book somewhere - I'll have to dig it out - may just be a bit out of date.

Yes, its' a great drive, and excellent views...you can even see England on a clear day!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think the sites will have changed much over several years, so guess the old edition is still valid, I'm still using 2009, and I wouldn't think there are any 'new' sites. Almost sure there would be space somewhere or other along that stretch by the end of August.

incidentally the site mentioned at Neufchatel-en-Bray is one we often use coming back up...it's really great, lovely little town, and just by the campsite you have a Lidl, Aldi and Leclerc, so exc for last (or first) minute shopping. Stopped there several times, very helpful warden, very tidy and clean site. Used by lots of Brits and Dutch as overnight/short stay.

Archived