bike batteries

nimpy

No, not really and we have quite a few in the clubs with electric assisted bikes. Had some problems with the now discontinued LaFree battery monitor circuit board in the bottom of the battery case burning out. No fires though. Does anyone out there know where monitor circuit board or in fact the full battery case with board can be obtained for the LaFree electric bikes?.
Regards,
Brendan

Ours were brand new bikes only purchased in April, not cheap and we had only used them for a few days in France. At the time of the fire the van was in storage and we were fortunate that the fire was contained. Where do others store their batteries when not in use on the bike?

nimpy - 2011-08-07 6:04 PM

Ours were brand new bikes only purchased in April, not cheap and we had only used them for a few days in France. At the time of the fire the van was in storage and we were fortunate that the fire was contained. Where do others store their batteries when not in use on the bike?

We store ours in the house as we use the bikes regularly not just in the motorhome.

Not sure of the make of battery but the bikes were from batri bike. Will have a read of the weblink. Thanks for info. Really concerned what could have happened if we had been on the van at the time.

Thanks for that have had a look. DONT WANT TO WORRY ANYONE but this is what happened to us. Brand new bikes and batteries, used four times, batteries not used for a week, came home and put van in storage. Checked van again three days later everything OK. Went back to van 11 days later, one battery showed evidence of exploding and caused fire in motorhome and serious smoke damage to the whole of the van (only 3 months old). THESE BATTERIES HAD BEEN DORMANT FOR ALMOST THREE WEEKS and then this happened. COULD OF BEEN EVEN WORSE IF IT HAD OCCURED AT HOME where we usually store them.

Hi Nimpy, Sorry you have had such problems with your battery, and as an electric bike user it is indeed very troubling. Reading the full thread on Pedelecs it seems their resident expert (who genuinely knows his stuff) advises that these batteries should not be kept in the house as combustion is not exactly unheard of although rare. I don't recharge the battery unsupervised, but I do keep it in my house and also in the 'van when away, however may rethink this now? I'd be interested to know where others store theirs when not in use.

Regards, D

Keep ours in the garage on wooden blocks which is where I recharge them before a journey.Ours from A/SBikes. Bit worried as have never given a thought to combustion or fire. Is this a rare event as so many folk have these electric bikes and this is the first time I have seen this on a forum?

Suda - 2011-08-08 4:06 PM Keep ours in the garage on wooden blocks which is where I recharge them before a journey.

Have bought/sold/repaired many hundreds of electric golf trolleys with mainly lead/acid batteries. Have also had some lithium batteries, too.

I have always put my batteries on to charge immediately after use so that they do not remain in a discharged (or partly discharged) state, especially if they are well run down and it is a while before next trip.

Far better to charge them first and leave on a 'top up' type charger or remove from charger when full. Can then leave in a charged state ready for next usage. 

Have charged and tested (in real time usage) more than 500 batteries and have never had an overheating issue of any kind.

Archived