digital radios

chasson10

Would be interested to hear your experience of a digital radio in travel use.....

.......however, not sure about where the aerial is - our Burstner has an aerial attached (externally) to the nearside windscreen frame, and I've seen others in various places, including the overcab area. Indeed some manufacturers fit them I think either within or stuck inside the front windscreen? My understadning of the Digital radio is that you need a much better aerial than even for FM reception.

If you have a TV aerial on the roof, how about using the feed for the Radio already within that,and which will most likely be including in the amp/booster somewhere in one of your top cupboards or the wardrobe?

I am rather suspicious of digital radios and the way that they are being foisted on us. You need a good arial, and they take up a lot more power than the old analogue radios. At least this government have recognised that we like our old radios and have abandoned plans to turn off the analogue signal by 2015. I believe they are specially temperamental in motor vehicles - when I went into my local Halfords for a new radio recently there was avast choice of analogue sets, but few digitals. Stay ith the trusted technology!

At home i always use digital radio but not so sure about using in car/mhome.

If you want to pick up radio in europe (not uk radio cos you will be out of transmission range tho i think there is some world service available) you will need a dual band radio as some countries (or parts of countries to make life interesting) use a different radio band to the uk.

I looked at Digital radio for travelling in Europe but have gone down the internet radio route using an itouch and free wifi sites. I download the programmes (which is quick and easy) and then play them back. Alternatively i also download to a laptop, burn on to data cd, and play back through the m/home or car radio.

Peter

My personal experience of Digital radio has put me off totally, bought my wife a digital portable to replace an AM/FM one, NO reception anywhere in the house. Reception far worse in Car and fades in and out , like going back to the 50's crystal sets (yes,i had one ! for radio Luxemburg !!).

Will NOT be buying another one, FM radio with RDS automatic frequency adjustment is perfect for mobile applications and works very well. WHY change it ?? Digital relies on a perfect signal, which in Hilly countryside you will NEVER get (unless a lot of money is spent on new transmitters....which it won't). A technical advance is only any use if it is a better system than it's predecessor.... not just because it is a 'money spinner'. *-) Ray

Hopefully i will be 'long gone' before 'they' force them on us.

Bought a Currys own brand Stereo DAB Radio with integrated Ipod dock for

use in the M/Home.

Run it off the 12V socket in the lounge.

It works fine and was a bargain at £40 with very good reception

all over the country.

Don't think I'd bother replacing the cab radio.

Andy

Hello folks,

I have some experience of DAB radios in cars and at home and would like to add this if it helps?

I run a Vauxhall Frontera and about 9 years ago when I bought it I put a Kenwood Radio Cassette (remember those?) plus a Kenwood DAB box along with a separate Aerial that was fitted to the rear end of the roof. It worked well in urban areas but reception was very patchy on motorways and in the open countryside. This improved over the years but was never exactly as wonderful as I had hoped.

I have now updated the head unit to a CD player that plays MP3's and has a USB socket in the front but the really natty part is that the DAB is built in. The aerial is stuck to the inside of the windscreen and it is a massive improvement. Still not quite perfect but I am immensely happy with it. The unit in question was £239 and Halfords have it on sale at £169 at the moment and considering it comes with £50 worth of antenna I reckon that is a bargain. I added the Kenwood/Parrot bluetooth kit as well so I have a hands free phone all in one device and it works very well.

Bouyed by the success of this I decided I wanted DAB in my Alfa as well so I went back to the car stereo dealer that I use and because I did not want to change my factory sat nav for something that looked rather less cool they advised me to have a Pure Highway DAB fitted. We did this and in spite of their best efforts in placing the windscreen aerial and trying to connect to my stereo in a number of elaborate ways the exercise was a complete waste of time; so it was removed.

I use a Pure Sensia DAB at home which also connects to the Internet for potentially thousands of radio stations and while the wireless internet part has been tempramental, the DAB tuner has been brilliant. I must live in a particularly good location for DAB; if i did not I would use the internet radio more. It is a lovely bit of kit.

Bottom line?

If the Kenwood CD/DAB is up your street it is a very fine unit and works beautifully. Do bear in mind that you will have to get a power supply from somewhere for the powered antenna but apart from that installation should be fairly straight forward. If you can get your supplier to fit it for the £25 that Halfords are asking I would let them do it.

The Pure in car DAB did not work for me. It might for you but if you don't have a really good relationship with your supplier you might not get it removed and a refund given if it is no good; so I would steer clear of that.

I understand JVC also make a DAB head unit but the Kenwood is a similar price and my supplier advised me that the Kenwood has a better antenna and I have no reason to doubt that.

When it works and if you can forgive it's weaknesses, DAB is brilliant. I find myself listening to Absolute 80's or Planet Rock all of the time, and anything that adds to your enjoyment of motoring these days is welcome indeed.

Nick

Guest pelmetman
euroserv - 2011-08-08 5:16 PM  I have now updated the head unit to a CD player that plays MP3's and has a USB socket in the front but the really natty part is that the DAB is built in.

I have Kenwood CD player is the head unit you mention Nick something that I can plug into the CD slot?:D

Archived